Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Searching for satellite signal...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Smitty1960

Smitty1960

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:14 AM

After yesterdays's dead receiver fiasco, I was able to get both HDDVRs to work again by doing two RBRs. That seemed to do the trick. My wife watched TV for several hours with her HR21 without complaint, but I only did a cursery channel check on the HR23 to make sure it was up and running again and then turned it off. After coming home at 1:00AM this morning, I find that my HR23-700 is not working, but my wife's HR21-100 is working fine. So after two unpluggings and several RBRs, all I've managed to get are the following messages alternating for about five minutes;

Searching for satellite info...
Receiving satellite info... 0% complete

Eventually followed by, "Acquiring guide data...If nothing happens within 2 minutes, do a RBR. If still nothing, check the dish--make sure there's not a tree on it. If still nothing, call customer service with a 772". (I paraphrased that last part.)

So finally I checked the Signal Strength Meter. Tuner 2 is OK but tuner 1 is all zeros. What does that mean? Should I call to get a service tech out? I have subscribed to the extended service since I started with DTV, so will the visit cost me anything?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:03 AM

unplug for 30 minutes and then try it.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#3 OFFLINE   Smitty1960

Smitty1960

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:14 AM

I'll admit that I had only unplugged it for about 3 minutes each time. So I'll try for 30 minutes this time and see what happens.

#4 OFFLINE   Smitty1960

Smitty1960

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:03 AM

After a 30 minute unplug, still no luck. Guess I'll have to call DirecTV customer service for the first time since it's been installed. Wish me luck.

#5 OFFLINE   Smitty1960

Smitty1960

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:28 AM

After a quick diagnostic check with the service rep over the phone, it seems they have to send out a tech--they think they'll need to realign the dish. I don't understand why when we're getting good service on the other HD DVR. Soonest they can get somebody out here is next Tuesday. Should I expect something from DTV for lack of service for nearly a week?

#6 OFFLINE   BK89

BK89

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:33 AM

Why dont you check the satellite signal strength you are recieving on the working receiver?

#7 OFFLINE   Smitty1960

Smitty1960

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:36 AM

I will as soon as it stops searching for signal! It (H21) had been working fine until 5 minutes ago--now we're having a strong thunderstorm. Ironic huh?

#8 OFFLINE   Smitty1960

Smitty1960

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:02 AM

OK. Storm had subsided somewhat, so wife's H21 has signal again. Checked signal strength and have 70's through 90's on both tuners. Mine (the HR23-700) however has 80's and 90's on one tuner, and all zeros on the other tuner. I've checked all the cable connections and they're all very tight. I'm not going on the roof to check the alignment because;
a) It's raining
B) If the dish wasn't aligned, why do we get OK signal on one HD DVR, but not the other one?
c) Don't know what I'd be looking for unless the dish was loose and pointed at the ground or something.

#9 OFFLINE   andy A

andy A

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:06 AM

About 2 weeks ago I had a similiar issue as yourself. For background

1 AU9 side car dish
2 connected to Zinwell 8
3 connected to 1 HR20-700 and 1 HR22-???
All these hooked up approx 4 yrs ago except for the HR22 which was installed almost 2 yrs ago.

All was working fine then the HR22 started losing all signal on the 99 & 103. Searching for satellite 771. The Hr22 basically acted like it would work on one turner only when tuning from the 99 or 103 when it did work. Did not matter which turner, if it was using tuner 1, tuner 2 would be dead. If using tuner 2, tuner 1 would be dead. Then sometimes both tuners would be dead especially when trying to pull from the 99 and 103. Although My HR20-700 was getting good signal strength on all satellites. Moved the HR20-700 to where the HR22 was and it showed good signal strength on all satellites. Called D and they sent a tech out. The first thing we tried was another box, a HR23 and same thing no signal on the 99 and 103. HMMMM, what is the deal???? We ended up replacing the AU9 side car dish with a slimline 3 and boom we were back in business plus about a 10 point increase on the 99 and 103. Wierd.

D also will allow 1 service call per year regardless if having the protection plan and wave the fee and give that service call a 90 days warranty.

#10 OFFLINE   Smitty1960

Smitty1960

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:16 AM

Whether the DTV tech replaces the dish (hope I get a SWM one), or new receiver (hope I get a H24) or not, I just want service back. Luckily we have service to at least one TV (the wife's--the most important one). I hate to admit that ZERO TV for nearly a week and we'd be at each others' throats. In either case, should we ask for some sort of compensation, like a package upgrade, discount, or something? Or is that just my greediness poking its ugly head?

#11 OFFLINE   SteveK2

SteveK2

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:01 PM

D also will allow 1 service call per year regardless if having the protection plan and wave the fee and give that service call a 90 days warranty.

Is this the always the case, or was any arm-twisting needed?

I am now getting quite a few 'searching for signal' messages on HD channels that worked fine until a few days ago (don't know exactly when it started).

I've troubleshooted as much as I can and believe I have a bad LNB or bad multi-switch. Signals on the 101, 99©, and 119 birds are 95+ on all transponders. But for the 110 and 113© sats I am getting no signal on odd transponders and weak (~30) signal on even transponders.

I've swapped the order of cables connected at the LNB, ground block, and multi-switch. No improvement although the problem changing inputs @the multiswitch moves the 0-signals to the even transponders and weak signals on the odd transponders.

Since I wanted to order the whole-home service, I'm wondering whether it is better to place 2 separate service calls -- one for the current issue and a second for MRV installation. The local D* service techs seem to have difficulty resolving anything that is 'out of the ordinary', so I'd prefer to not over-complicate any single service call. That would be a better option IMHO if a service call to resolve current situation will be at no charge. I don't have the protection plan, BTW.

#12 OFFLINE   andy A

andy A

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:01 AM

Is this the always the case, or was any arm-twisting needed?

Steve, not sure if it is always the case, but that is what I was told by the CSR. Basically I called D and we went through some trouble shooting steps, after nothing was resolved the CSR deemed it necessary to roll a truck. I then asked if they would wave the service fee and it was then the CSR mentioned about getting one service call per year, plus the warranty on that call. The credit was applied to my account approx one week later, plus they sent an Email stating they had applied the credit.

In my case I was dead certain it was the box itself since my HR20 worked fine in the HR22's location, and would have been happy if they had just mailed out a replacement receiver, but I was dead wrong.

I am now getting quite a few 'searching for signal' messages on HD channels that worked fine until a few days ago (don't know exactly when it started).

I've troubleshooted as much as I can and believe I have a bad LNB or bad multi-switch. Signals on the 101, 99©, and 119 birds are 95+ on all transponders. But for the 110 and 113© sats I am getting no signal on odd transponders and weak (~30) signal on even transponders.

I've swapped the order of cables connected at the LNB, ground block, and multi-switch. No improvement although the problem changing inputs @the multiswitch moves the 0-signals to the even transponders and weak signals on the odd transponders.

Since I wanted to order the whole-home service, I'm wondering whether it is better to place 2 separate service calls -- one for the current issue and a second for MRV installation. The local D* service techs seem to have difficulty resolving anything that is 'out of the ordinary', so I'd prefer to not over-complicate any single service call. That would be a better option IMHO if a service call to resolve current situation will be at no charge. I don't have the protection plan, BTW.

Hard call, if you plan to go Whole Home now it may just be better to do that and get it done, instead of 2 seperate trips. If you plan to hold off on the Whole Home for awhile then I would just address the existing issues.

#13 OFFLINE   SteveK2

SteveK2

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 08:29 AM

Thanks Andy!

spam firewall