Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Questions

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   byrdpack

byrdpack

AllStar

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:02 AM

I am gathering my information to call Directv and have them add whole home DVR and network my Directv for on Demand. I wanted to know and make sure I was asking and receiving the right equipment.

Currently I have:
HR20-700
HR20-100
HR21-100
H20-100
H10

It appears I have a WNC 4X8 Multiswitch with a 3 LNB Side Car Dish?

I have AT&T Uverse modem at 12 Mbps that is beside the HR20 700 and 100

I plan to add one more HD tv to another room so i need another dvr box.

Questions:

Do i need a new dish?
Should I insist on getting a SWiM 16?
I assume I need DECA?
Will I be able to see my recordings on all of my boxes I currently have?
What type of box do i need for the new room I need HD DVR in?
About what should my expected costs be?'
Should I pay extra $10 to go to 18 Mbps on modem? $20 extra for 24 Mbps?

Thanks so much for any help!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:11 AM

I am gathering my information to call Directv and have them add whole home DVR and network my Directv for on Demand. I wanted to know and make sure I was asking and receiving the right equipment.

Currently I have:
HR20 700
HR20-100
HR21-100
H20-100
H10

It appears I have a WNC 4X8 Multiswitch with a 3 LNB Side Car Dish?

I have AT&T Uverse modem at 12 Mbps that is beside the HR20 700 and 100

I plan to add one more HD tv to another room so i need another dvr box.

Questions:

Do i need a new dish?
Should I insist on getting a SWiM 16?
I assume I need DECA?
Will I be able to see my recordings on all of my boxes I currently have?
What type of box do i need for the new room I need HD DVR in?
About what should my expected costs be?'
Should I pay extra $10 to go to 18 Mbps on modem? $20 extra for 24 Mbps?

Thanks so much for any help!

• A new dish will be needed.
  • I doubt you could "insist" on getting a SWiM-16. If you'll have more than 8 tuners, you'll need a SWiM-16
  • The H20 & H10 don't work with DECA/MRV, so the H20 could/would be swapped for a H21/23/24, and the H10 with something [but no MRV with it]. For extra cost you could upgrade this to an HD receiver that does work with MRV.
  • The new room could have "just" an HD receiver to play your recordings or be also an HD DVR.
  • Without the receiver upgrades, it should be about $150.
  • :shrug:

A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:14 AM

6. Will have no effect on MRV, since it is independent of the router. A faster internet connection will help with on-demand downloads.

:)

#4 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:20 AM

6. Will have no effect on MRV, since it is independent of the router. A faster internet connection will help with on-demand downloads.

I doubt the faster internet would even help with On Demand. I think 12Mbs is already faster than you are getting it from DIRECTV (or whoever serves it for them).

#5 OFFLINE   byrdpack

byrdpack

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:25 AM

Thanks so much for the quick responses!

I need an HD DVR for my new room, should I get through Directv or a retail store? What is the best model to get?

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:29 AM

I need an HD DVR for my new room, should I get through Directv or a retail store? What is the best model to get?

The HR24 by a long shot.
These are trying to be earmarked for this type of install, but nobody can/will say this is 100%.
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:29 AM

HR24 is the best...by far. No guarantees that's the model you'll get if you order it through DIRECTV.

#8 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:35 AM

If you want the HR24, your best bet is an online retailer, since it is not available in retail stores and Direct can't guarantee model numbers.

#9 OFFLINE   byrdpack

byrdpack

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:41 AM

If you want the HR24, your best bet is an online retailer, since it is not available in retail stores and Direct can't guarantee model numbers.

Thanks! What retailer is best? Similar prices to what Directv would charge?

#10 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:29 AM

Thanks! What retailer is best? Similar prices to what Directv would charge?

I like solidsignal.com, but you can also find the HR24 at places like amazon, overstock, & weaknees. Directv's normal charge for an HD-DVR is $199.

#11 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,267 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:37 AM

Well ...

I wouldn't necessarily say the HR24 is superior to all the older model HD-DVRs by a "long shot" :) as all my HR21, HR22, and R22 are performing quite admirably to me without any evidence of the snail-paced sluggishness frequently complained about here.

But yes no doubt the HR24s are quicker and do not require an external DECA dongle for MRV of course.

But I really don't mind the small operating delays that I've experienced on my current boxes.

#12 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:42 AM

Well ...

I wouldn't necessarily say the HR24 is superior to all the older model HD-DVRs by a "long shot" :) as all my HR21, HR22, and R22 are performing quite admirably to me without any evidence of the snail-paced sluggishness frequently complained about here.

But yes no doubt the HR24s are quicker and do not require an external DECA dongle for MRV of course.

But I really don't mind the small operating delays that I've experienced on my current boxes.

!rolling
We get spoiled with the HR24.
While my HR21 wasn't the slug others keep complaining about, my HR20 was faster and now with my HR24, even my HR20 feels slow. :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#13 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:42 AM

Well ...

Do you have an HR24?

#14 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,267 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:03 AM

Do you have an HR24?

No, not yet anyway;

But I'm judging it based on the response times to RC button presses of my current boxes which tend to vary from about maybe .5 to 2 sec, or on the average of 1.25 sec.

So how much faster can the HR24 really be based on this then?

Maybe 1 second faster on average from what I have now?

Can a one second gain or some other really be called better by a "long shot?"

#15 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:07 AM

No, not yet anyway;

But I'm judging it based on the response times to RC button presses of my current boxes which tend to vary from about maybe .5 to 2 sec, or on the average of 1.25 sec.

This really gets down to the overall "feel" of it.
The more processing needed to do something, the more the user "feels it".
A.K.A VOS

#16 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:13 AM

No, not yet anyway;

You can't get a sense of just how much faster it is until you use it. It really is night and day.

#17 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,267 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:56 AM

You can't get a sense of just how much faster it is until you use it. It really is night and day.

Again, I have no doubts that the HR24 is better in terms of operational speed, but I just can't see how extreme descriptions like "long shot" and "night and day" truly fit the comparison with the older boxes here.

Or maybe I just have a different understanding of those strong epithets as I consider them to be more apt of things like say when I was an early adopter of UltimteTV, and the response times of the first version of the OS Microsoft developed for it were terrible at around 3-5 seconds.

Now that was a real pig! But of course I see nothing like that today among any of DirecTV's current boxes.

#18 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:59 AM

Again, I have no doubts that the HR24 is better in terms of operational speed, but I just can't see how extreme descriptions like "long shot" and "night and day" truly fit the comparison with the older boxes here.

Or maybe I just have a different understanding of those strong epithets as I consider them to be more apt of things like say when I was an early adopter of UltimteTV, and the response times of the first version of the OS Microsoft developed for it were terrible at around 3-5 seconds.

Now that was a real pig! But of course I see nothing like that today among any of DirecTV's current boxes.

"Compared to" some of the "this is such a POS" [slug] complains, it's "night & day". ;)
A.K.A VOS

#19 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:02 PM

Just use one.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...