Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD DVR stuck at Step 1 of 2 after hell day now fixed

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mung

mung

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:58 AM

So while I am waiting for my replacement HR20-100 to show up because it didn't work after the fiasco the other day, I actually got it working again.

It was stuck at Step 1 of 2 and just sitting there. So I unplugged it figuring it was just eating electricity. Left it unplugged over night and decided to plug it back in this morning and it decided to start working again.

Wonder if they will let me keep the replacement DVR and send one of my regular boxes back instead?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,954 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:47 AM

I don't see why not. When you get it, call and see what happens. The worst they will do is say no...but I doubt the will. :grin:

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#3 OFFLINE   2dogz

2dogz

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:57 AM

By sending back a regular box in place of DVR, sounds like you're upgrading yourself. They might want a few bucks for that move. :)

Directv since 1997
2x HR21-100 2x HR22-100 1x HR20-700R
Sony Sat T60 Tivo Still Truckin'
AU9 WB616 OTA: Channel Master CM4221

#4 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,954 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:02 AM

By sending back a regular box in place of DVR, sounds like you're upgrading yourself. They might want a few bucks for that move. :)

That's why I would call them first. They'll likely let the OP keep the new receiver but who knows under what conditions.

BTW mung, I wouldn't just send back something else without checking with DirecTV first. They might put the non-returned HD DVR fee on your bill...IIRC, that's $480. :eek2:

Then you'll have to call them anyway and try to straighten it all out. :D

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,418 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:03 AM

Don't be surprised when you get a $$$ bill for failure to return the receiver that you said you were going to return.

Looking at some of the recent threads about HR20 replacements, they may not want the HR20-100 back anyway.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   mung

mung

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:46 AM

Nope they won't do it. So when the box gets here I am going to try to catch UPS and refuse the delivery. I won't pay full price for what is probably a referb box and since I am already paying for MRV I might as well just get a regular HD box if I want DVR service in another room.

D* really won't do a damn thing for you if you have a contract. If my contract was up and I had said I was going to cancel service they probably would send me a truckload of DVRs.

#7 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,954 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:44 AM

Nope they won't do it. So when the box gets here I am going to try to catch UPS and refuse the delivery. I won't pay full price for what is probably a referb box and since I am already paying for MRV I might as well just get a regular HD box if I want DVR service in another room.

D* really won't do a damn thing for you if you have a contract. If my contract was up and I had said I was going to cancel service they probably would send me a truckload of DVRs.

Look at the box first. You might get an HR24. I doubt, it but it's worth a look. :D

Mike

µß

#8 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,908 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:18 AM

People's experience varies all over the place. I have been under contract since 1995. I recently upgraded to Whole Home DVR Service, which is regularly $149.00 (for equipment and install, including a new dish). When I asked for the price, they quoted me $99.00. I asked them to look closely at my account for any other considerations I might be eligible for, and they came back with $25.00!

Secondly, just recently, D* started a program for new subscribers, forgiving the $10/month HD access fee for life! (as long as you bill auto-pay). They also made a deal available to existing customers, for free HD Access for 24 months (a savings of $240.00). Many of us expect that the HD Access fee will be dropped entirely for everyone within this 2 year period.

So, here is a case with a long term customer, currently under contract, that received a very large discount on an upgrade, and saved $240 on his bill.

I'd try, but I just can't find a way to complain about this.:)

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

Protected By... spam firewall...And...