Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Recording problem - from disk error, or MRV?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mikemyers

mikemyers

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:55 AM

VOS, maybe you can help me out here if I'm missing something.

Equipment: HR24, H24, R16, MRV.

Last night I was watching a show on HR24, and moved to kitchen to start dinner. I had already set the HR24 to record the show, and ended up watching it on the R16, so I could pause when I had to.

While the show was playing on the R16 in the kitchen, I looked up and noticed that while the audio was continuing to play, the image had "frozen" on one screen. I couldn't "fix" it, and when I "rewound" and played, it always locked up at the same place.

I then clicked on "record" on the R16 for two reasons. First, to have a record of what was going on, and second, because if the hard disk had a problem (as I assumed it did) this would take that particular part of the disk out of the free space, so it won't be used on another recording unless/until I delete this show, freeing up the space.

Anyway, the situation now is that I've got a "good" recording on the HR24 that I'll probably delete, and also a recording on the HR16 that repeatedly locks up the image at the same place in the show. It "stumbles" if I try to fast forward or rewind past that point.

I've never had anything like this happen before, other than when the receiver had hard disk failures. It's nothing like when there's a storm, and the picture breaks up - in my case it just "freezes". The audio continues to play. If I can get the DVR past that point, I can play things perfectly normally, and I can rewind all I want as long as I don't go back to where the problem appears.

I was about to call DTV and ask them about replacing the R16, but then I figured I ought to check first whether this might be caused by the MRV system. I doubt this could be the case, as the R16 doesn't "do" MRV, but I'm running out of possibilities:
...it can't be the broadcast, as the HR24 had no problems
...it isn't weather related - weather was great, and HR24 played fine
...it wasn't "losing" a signal, as it was one brief momentary spot on the recording that was "damaged".
...it wasn't a power failure, as the lights didn't flicker, and my HR24 and computers had no problems

Am I right to think it's a bad disk, or could this somehow be connected to the HR24 also playing the show, knowing that the HR24 is configured for MRV?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:06 AM

I can't see how MRV and anything to do with this.
I don't have a R-16 to know them first hand, and I think they have some slightly different disk options for testing.
Clearly it seems like the box had a glitch, but I'm not sure it is disk related or not.
Maybe someone with a R-16 can come in here and offer more help.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   mikemyers

mikemyers

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:32 AM

VOS, after talking to the tech people at D* yesterday, we agreed that this was an error, most probably from the hard disk. The R16 will be replaced - more on that later. They said to go ahead and use it anyway for now.

Unless you want a good laugh, either with me, or at me, don't bother reading the following - it is far too improbable to have happened, but it did.

I usually turn on my R16 a little before 10am, tune in channel 307, and let the 9am showing of 7th Heaven finish, after which I watch/record Matlock at 10am while having breakfast. I've been doing this for weeks.

Despite having the disk error, I turn the R16 on this morning at 9:40, and it's playing yesterday's Matlock program, and it's around 40 minutes into the program. This is part one of a two-part series, with the concluding episode to be shown today at 10am). 7th Heaven is supposed to be playing, so I double check the guide, and sure enough it says 7th Heaven. I click on it, expecting to get out of what I now think is yesterday's recording, but there is no change. Since I'm assuming I'm watching a recorded show, I try fast forward, reverse, pause, etc.... but nothing works.

I know I'm still rather sleepy, but since I "know" that 7th Heaven is what is being broadcast, and the guide confirms that nothing has been changed in today's program listing, and since there is no way to get my box to "switch back" to live TV, I assume my R16 has developed additional problems - that, or I'm losing my mind! I've got no idea of how a disk error could have caused any of this, and the most likely scenario is that somehow I'm not thinking clearly. Why is the R16 insisting on showing me yesterday's recording????

After several minutes this is all a bit too frustrating, so I go to the living room and turn on the TV there (hooked up to HR24). It also is showing yesterday's Matlock program!

It all comes to me -
For whatever reason, at 9am channel 307 is showing the same Matlock they had on yesterday (part 1 of a 2-part series), instead of 7th Heaven, despite the DTV Guide showing that it should still be 7th Heaven!! Then at 10am today's Matlock show comes on.

The bottom line for me, is don't jump to conclusions, even when they seem so obvious. I was certain my R16 was at fault, but this was not the case. (In retrospect, I should have tried a different channel, but I was too sleepy to think clearly....)

#4 OFFLINE   jpitlick

jpitlick

Icon

• Registered
  • 580 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:05 AM

VOS, after talking to the tech people at D* yesterday, we agreed that this was an error, most probably from the hard disk. The R16 will be replaced - more on that later. They said to go ahead and use it anyway for now.

Unless you want a good laugh, either with me, or at me, don't bother reading the following - it is far too improbable to have happened, but it did.

I usually turn on my R16 a little before 10am, tune in channel 307, and let the 9am showing of 7th Heaven finish, after which I watch/record Matlock at 10am while having breakfast. I've been doing this for weeks.

Despite having the disk error, I turn the R16 on this morning at 9:40, and it's playing yesterday's Matlock program, and it's around 40 minutes into the program. This is part one of a two-part series, with the concluding episode to be shown today at 10am). 7th Heaven is supposed to be playing, so I double check the guide, and sure enough it says 7th Heaven. I click on it, expecting to get out of what I now think is yesterday's recording, but there is no change. Since I'm assuming I'm watching a recorded show, I try fast forward, reverse, pause, etc.... but nothing works.

I know I'm still rather sleepy, but since I "know" that 7th Heaven is what is being broadcast, and the guide confirms that nothing has been changed in today's program listing, and since there is no way to get my box to "switch back" to live TV, I assume my R16 has developed additional problems - that, or I'm losing my mind! I've got no idea of how a disk error could have caused any of this, and the most likely scenario is that somehow I'm not thinking clearly. Why is the R16 insisting on showing me yesterday's recording????

After several minutes this is all a bit too frustrating, so I go to the living room and turn on the TV there (hooked up to HR24). It also is showing yesterday's Matlock program!

It all comes to me -
For whatever reason, at 9am channel 307 is showing the same Matlock they had on yesterday (part 1 of a 2-part series), instead of 7th Heaven, despite the DTV Guide showing that it should still be 7th Heaven!! Then at 10am today's Matlock show comes on.

The bottom line for me, is don't jump to conclusions, even when they seem so obvious. I was certain my R16 was at fault, but this was not the case. (In retrospect, I should have tried a different channel, but I was too sleepy to think clearly....)

DirecTV had wrong guide information?!? I thought they were infallible. :lol:

HR20-700 attached via HDMI to an Onkyo TX-SR605S connected via HDMI to a Sony KDF-42WE655 42" Grand Vega Rear Projection LCD
H21-100 attached via HDMI to Sceptre X246W-1080P 24" LCD and attached via S-Video to Windows 7 PC w/Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600
HR22-100 attached via HDMI to a ProScan 32LB30Q 32" LCD
SWM-8/STS-4
SlimLine Dish w/SL5 LNB
All receviers connected to gigabit switches and 25/25 Mbps FiOS

#5 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:10 AM

I think we've all had some of these moments.
One that comes to mind:
Two DVRs connected to the same TV and controlled by the same remote.
I can't get anything to work. Both front panel lights will blink when I select that DVR on the remote, but nothing ever changes.
WT..?
[I was tuned to the TV and not either DVR.] :eek2:
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,891 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:10 AM

DirecTV had wrong guide information?!? I thought they were infallible. :lol:

D* doesn't do the Guide info themselves, they get it from Tribune Media...and Tribune is far from infallible.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#7 OFFLINE   jpitlick

jpitlick

Icon

• Registered
  • 580 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:14 AM

D* doesn't do the Guide info themselves, they get it from Tribune Media...and Tribune is far from infallible.

You do realize I was being sarcastic, right?

HR20-700 attached via HDMI to an Onkyo TX-SR605S connected via HDMI to a Sony KDF-42WE655 42" Grand Vega Rear Projection LCD
H21-100 attached via HDMI to Sceptre X246W-1080P 24" LCD and attached via S-Video to Windows 7 PC w/Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600
HR22-100 attached via HDMI to a ProScan 32LB30Q 32" LCD
SWM-8/STS-4
SlimLine Dish w/SL5 LNB
All receviers connected to gigabit switches and 25/25 Mbps FiOS

#8 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,891 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:21 AM

You do realize I was being sarcastic, right?

Nope, I was completely clueless and took it at face value. Bummer!

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#9 OFFLINE   mikemyers

mikemyers

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 01:38 PM

Actually, I'm pretty certain that the Guide was correct, and that whoever controls what gets sent out to the satellite made a mistake.

I fully expect that at 9am Monday channel 307 will be showing 7th Heaven, just as they have for years. Ditto for the 10:00 showing of Matlock.

Why they showed yesterday's Matlock at 9 is either because they made a mistake, or perhaps something was wrong with the tape/disc/file/whatever that had the episode of 7th Heaven on it.

VOS, perhaps you can start up a discussion item for this kind of thing - laughing about them later maybe will make up for the stress of being so utterly confused. :-) I bet lots of people have had similar incidents, that they'd probably prefer to forget.....

Protected By... spam firewall...And...