Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV2PC on the road

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   azphi

azphi

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:27 PM

I apologize if this topic has been discussed previously.

I travel quite frequently for work. I recently installed DirecTV2PC on my laptop, it works awesome while I'm at home. I am getting ready to leave on a work trip and would like to access my receiver while on the road. Is this possible? What do I need to do in order to make this possible?

LouPenya

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:29 PM

"Something else".
Look for things like slingbox
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   azphi

azphi

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:33 PM

"Something else".
Look for things like slingbox

Bummer, I was hoping that I would not have to buy additional equipment. Thanks for the advice.

LouPenya

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:35 PM

Bummer, I was hoping that I would not have to buy additional equipment. Thanks for the advice.

LouPenya

You need something that can scale down the recording [to upload] which DirecTV2PC doesn't.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   azphi

azphi

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 01:14 PM

You need something that can scale down the recording [to upload] which DirecTV2PC doesn't.

Boy, you are right there. The picture quality is awesome! Definitely not scaled down. I really like the program.

LouPenya

#6 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,973 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 10 June 2010 - 01:18 PM

Yea, go with the Slingbox, works great. Of course the faster your internet uplink at home is the better. Also with Sling you'd have full control over the receiver back home, so you can watch live TV if you want. Just remember though that the receiver you connect the Slingbox to needs to be IR for the remote, you can't do RF.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#7 OFFLINE   tgater

tgater

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:46 PM

Yea, go with the Slingbox, works great. Of course the faster your internet uplink at home is the better. Also with Sling you'd have full control over the receiver back home, so you can watch live TV if you want. Just remember though that the receiver you connect the Slingbox to needs to be IR for the remote, you can't do RF.

Plus for a little extra you can stream your sling to most smart phones.

#8 OFFLINE   EVAC41

EVAC41

Legend

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:20 AM

I have noticed when I used my Slingbox it took up a lot of bandwidth to watch an 1/2 hour show remotely.

Just an FYI...

#9 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,973 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:23 AM

I have noticed when I used my Slingbox it took up a lot of bandwidth to watch an 1/2 hour show remotely.

Just an FYI...

Sling will try to use as much of your upstream bandwidth as it can to provide the best PQ that it can within that limitation. So if you have an ISP with bandwidth caps Sling is something you might want to be careful about using.

#10 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:27 AM

I'm pretty sure that you can set the maximum bandwidth within the slingplayer app.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#11 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,973 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:31 AM

I'm pretty sure that you can set the maximum bandwidth within the slingplayer app.

Yes you can set the bandwidth to be used.

spam firewall