Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Sorry, Blonde and Confused ... (as usual)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Janice805

Janice805

Legend

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 01:18 PM

I just called DTV to inquire about the MRV. I have one HR23-700 and three HR20-700's. Although, all I care about is communication/playlists between my livingroom HR23 and bedroom HR20.

During the BETA I hooked my HR23 directly to my router (via cable). I had a Wireless Do-Dah in my bedroom HR20 (acquired originally for On Demand which I found useless, then used it to see my livingroom HR23 Playlist).

Then, Beta was gone. Now I call and it's gonna cost $160, need all kinds of additional equipment, etc. etc. etc.

I asked her (since my wireless unit worked before for the BETA version between my 2 HDDVR's) why can't she just FLIP A SWITCH to give me access and I'll happily pay the $3 x month? She said that cannot be done.

What and Why ?????????????

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 01:20 PM

Sure it can.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=177590

Just send am email :)

#3 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 01:21 PM

It can be done. There is a thread containing directions. Lemme see if I can find it for you.....

EDIT: D'oh!! Matt beat me to it.

#4 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 01:23 PM

I just called DTV to inquire about the MRV. I have one HR23-700 and three HR20-700's. Although, all I care about is communication/playlists between my livingroom HR23 and bedroom HR20.

During the BETA I hooked my HR23 directly to my router (via cable). I had a Wireless Do-Dah in my bedroom HR20 (acquired originally for On Demand which I found useless, then used it to see my livingroom HR23 Playlist).

Then, Beta was gone. Now I call and it's gonna cost $160, need all kinds of additional equipment, etc. etc. etc.

I asked her (since my wireless unit worked before for the BETA version between my 2 HDDVR's) why can't she just FLIP A SWITCH to give me access and I'll happily pay the $3 x month? She said that cannot be done.

What and Why ?????????????

A real pain in the butt to explain to the CSR. Good luck! Took me two calls and 50 minutes on the phone.

#5 OFFLINE   RobertSeattle

RobertSeattle

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 02:14 PM

I tried 3 times to let me in "unsupported" move to no avail. DECA is DirecTV's way to the future though so you might as well join the DECA-Borg.

#6 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 02:30 PM

I tried 3 times to let me in "unsupported" move to no avail. DECA is DirecTV's way to the future though so you might as well join the DECA-Borg.

You may find it easier now to get it unsupported.
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   Janice805

Janice805

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 02:34 PM

OK, here's the deal. I tried the e-mail suggestion twice and it didn't work, so, I tried the phone call. Thankfully I got a very knowledgeable CSR and after a long conversation, she got me up and running with my existing equipment for $3/month. (First CSR said I 'had" to spend the $160). I knew you guys would know the truth ... LOL.

THANKS .. BIG TIME !!!!! THANKS, THANKS :)

One last question. The bedroom HR20 has the "do-dah" that connects wirelessly to my router. In my livingroom the HR23 connects via ethernet cable directly to the router (across a 22' room). I asked her if I could buy another wireless do-dah and she said it wouldn't work with two wireless connections. She said one has to be hardwired to my router for MRV.

True?

#8 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,835 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 02:36 PM

OK, the doo-dah (DECA, actually) should connect to your router, and there should be another one that connects to your HR23. You'll get better MRV that way.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#9 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 02:37 PM

Wait what? What does the do dah say on it?

#10 OFFLINE   Janice805

Janice805

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 02:37 PM

Stuart, I don't have a DECA, do I? Just a wireless kit in my bedroom (orig. for On Demand) and direct connection to my router in the LR.

#11 OFFLINE   Janice805

Janice805

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 02:39 PM

Matt, WGA600N Linksys wireless box? Plugs into my HR20-700 ethernet port?

#12 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 02:42 PM

Matt, WGA600N Linksys wireless box? Plugs into my HR20-700 ethernet port?

Yeah, you can add wireless to the other receiver too. Wireless isn't as good of a connection, but if it has worked so far on the other receiver, you could give it a shot.

#13 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 02:55 PM

Yeah, some others have tried it and had mixed results. I would leave the wire if you can.

#14 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,815 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:50 AM

I would recommend keeping the wired connection. The fact that you have satisfactory MRV with one wireless connection speaks well for that connection. Putting another one in the mix may well cause you issues.

Glad you got it up and running the way you want it.

spam firewall