Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Am21 Problems

l632

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mloiterman

mloiterman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:45 PM

My AM21 seems dead - no signal to any of my off-air channels. It was working fine just a few weeks ago.

I have rebooted it, and the receiver many times. The antenna is in my attic and hasn't been touched or moved since it was put it.

My DVR is an HR21.

The software on these DirecTV HD-DVR is so poor (see the mess from a few days ago), I have to wonder if something screwed up my AM21.

What can I do to get my off-air channels back...

:(

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   WERA689

WERA689

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,607 posts
  • LocationCanton, GA

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:52 PM

I recently had to unplug the USB cable, and plug it back in. That did it for me.
link to my system specs: http://www.dbstalk.c...775#post3155775

My wonderful cat, Kawie, passed away on 11/23/08. He had a remarkable soul, and I miss him deeply. Thank you, my buddy, for sharing your life with me.

#3 OFFLINE   mloiterman

mloiterman

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:54 AM

I tried that. No change. How did you do that? Did you unplug USB, reboot, and then try? Did you just unplug and do initial setup?

Can you provide some more details?

I ordered a new AM21 which should be here on Monday or Tuesday since I don't have a good way of testing the cable and antenna.

#4 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:53 AM

remove am21 and reset (to remove) all ota channels. then do a reoot.
then go through process of re-adding am21 and reboot.
sounds convoluted, and it is, but I had 1 that acted that way and this was only solution.
also use different usb cord when readding to be sure.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#5 OFFLINE   ThePrisoner

ThePrisoner

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:55 AM

My AM21 died a few weeks ago also. I reset, changed USB cables, unplugged and even took it out of the system and than connected it back in a week later. Nothing. May get another one even though this one lasted 5 months. I know they are only $50 but come on. I have my OTA going right to my display for now.
Choice Xtra, HD Extra Pack, MRV, NFLST
HR24-100, Terk HDTVi, Panasonic TC-P60GT30, Oppo BDP-93, Anthem MRX-500, Paradigm Reference
HR21-700, Panasonic TH-50PZ800U

#6 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,856 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:11 AM

My AM21 died a few weeks ago also. I reset, changed USB cables, unplugged and even took it out of the system and than connected it back in a week later. Nothing. May get another one even though this one lasted 5 months. I know they are only $50 but come on. I have my OTA going right to my display for now.

I've had two AM21s since they were first released, and both continue to work just fine. I don't think there is a reliability problem, more likely just the luck of the draw.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#7 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,868 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:15 AM

I have a feeling that there are a lot of unused AM21s out there that might go for cheap. Might be worth looking into.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   gcd0865

gcd0865

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:40 AM

Perhaps your AM21 has gone bad, as others have reported. I was able to (eventually) get mine replaced for free. See:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=160282
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=173637
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=163370

#9 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:56 PM

IIRC, the way to get it replaced under the PP was to NOT say the AM21 was dead but first ask what is covered by the plan. Once they say "everything, top to bottom", say "That's good, because my AM21 just died" :D

#10 OFFLINE   mloiterman

mloiterman

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:54 PM

For now, I have just ordered a replacement for $50.00. We'll see if that fixes it. I'll deal with trying to get reimbursed later, if need be.

Sigh. DirecTV ought to be embarrassed by the quality of its hardware and software. It's really a shame.

#11 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,856 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:06 PM

For now, I have just ordered a replacement for $50.00. We'll see if that fixes it. I'll deal with trying to get reimbursed later, if need be.

Sigh. DirecTV ought to be embarrassed by the quality of its hardware and software. It's really a shame.

It's been over 3 years with the recent cycle of HR2x series for me, and I don't find anything to assign shame for. Are there bugs, sure. Tons have been fixed, and many new features have been added. All in all, I'm a very happy camper, including with the two AM21s that I've had for quite a while.

I see no reason for D* to be embarrassed about anything long term, other than some poorly trained CSRs, who are indeed, legendary. :)

As I've watched the thousands of messages go by in the last 3+ years, I have noticed a tendency for the following to obtain:

"Everything is alright, until it's not, and then it never was." I am not saying you fit into this, as you are very new to the forums, but it is a pattern that I see people fall into.

There are a bajillion things right with D*, service, hardware and software. There are plenty of things to work on in these same areas. That's how it is. (typically for any provider of services, software and hardware).

At least D* listens, responds and continues to develop the boxes. They don't do everything I would like, or the way I would like, but on balance, I'm simply a happy camper.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#12 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 12 June 2010 - 11:08 AM

Please take a reality check, its a $50 add-on ATSC tuner with a 90 day warranty, you had one that went bad, as all electronics can do. a $10k Plasma could go bad just as easily.

#13 OFFLINE   mloiterman

mloiterman

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 09:45 PM

"Everything is alright, until it's not, and then it never was." I am not saying you fit into this, as you are very new to the forums, but it is a pattern that I see people fall into.

You've got a point here. I'm just frustrated that perfectly good hardware has just died for no obvious reason and I've got to pay to make it right. Does it happen? Sure. Do I have to like it? No.

That said, and I don't want to spark a war on this, I feel like DirecTV ought to leave the hardware and software to someone else.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...