Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH Calling Unlisted # Even When Bill Paid Early!

l641

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pagoo

pagoo

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:31 PM

:eek2:

HELP?

1) I have a new unlisted phone number.

2) Been paying DISH for over 6 years via BillPay through bank.

3) After new number told to billing, began receiving recorded messages(pause before recording begins after answering phone) saying bill is due or service will be cut off, service is being cut off, etc... weeks and weeks for months of htis!

4) Am in ved 24/7 - disabled and on SSD - in other, I'm an "old bat" and really mad.

5) Have called DISH many times to tell them to STOP this as it is unfair and probably illegal (called the "no call" federal line, too) as I am poor and paying though nose for unlisted phone number.

6) Every time no matter ot whom I talk or to whom I've emailed, I keep getting these calls and my nerves are really frayed - I on SSD for anxiety, etc plus broken bones, etc.

7) CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF I CAN SUE DISH?

8) I really WANT Google TV in fall and cannot have cable because landlord will not allow it (illegally, but man is a "queso grande" here in Nevada), so NO Cable and no lawer would take case.

9) PLEASE, NEED SOME HELP HERE - NEED SATELLITE RECEIVER LIKE DISH AND WANT TO SUE DISH... SYS MUST BE COMPATIBLE W/GOOGLE TV. I HAVE MSNTV NOW, ALL I HAVE IS DIAL-UP, NO BRODABAND : NOt ALLOWED ON PROPERTY SAYS LANDLORD, who charged me an extra $15.00 per month on top of rent for many years. for the luxury of DISH on HIS property - he said DISH was now HIS PROPERTY - ME, the disabled poor who has lived here since 1987! I stopped paying that extortion a couple of months ago : (see NRS 711.255 in NV law.)

10) HELP! Need some assistance here.

~Pagoo (MAD OLD BAT)

~~

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:41 PM

First of all, :welcome_s

Unfortunately, if you gave Dish the number then are late on the bill, then they have the right to attempt to collect. Sure, it may be an excessive amount of calls (I certainly think so, based on your description) but they can call you legally. All DNC does is prevent telemarketers from calling. You do business with Dish, so they have the right to call.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#3 OFFLINE   jessshaun

jessshaun

Legend

• Registered
  • 158 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:20 PM

Actually, you have the right to tell any and all bill collectors to stop contacting you. I wouldn't recommend it, and think it would be a better idea to talk to them and explain what's going on, however.

#4 OFFLINE   pagoo

pagoo

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:20 PM

:confused:Dear Coldsteel -

NOT LATE ON BILLS - SET UP BANK ESPECIALLY TO PAY DISHNETWORK >EARLY< TO AVOID THIS TYPE OF CALL.

-kj

#5 OFFLINE   pagoo

pagoo

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:22 PM

Actually, you have the right to tell any and all bill collectors to stop contacting you. I wouldn't recommend it, and think it would be a better idea to talk to them and explain what's going on, however.

Have called and emailed them to STOP - done this many times (at least 9)

#6 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:28 PM

:confused:Dear Coldsteel -

NOT LATE ON BILLS - SET UP BANK ESPECIALLY TO PAY DISHNETWORK >EARLY< TO AVOID THIS TYPE OF CALL.

-kj

You may want to change the date of when you pay your bill, and also make sure when you changed accounts you didn't miss a payment and are actually 1 month behind. System is pretty automated, and they wont call to let you know you are behind or late, unless you are behind and late.

#7 OFFLINE   pagoo

pagoo

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:29 PM

First of all, :welcome_s

Unfortunately, if you gave Dish the number then are late on the bill, then they have the right to attempt to collect. Sure, it may be an excessive amount of calls (I certainly think so, based on your description) but they can call you legally. All DNC does is prevent telemarketers from calling. You do business with Dish, so they have the right to call.

--- and, Hi, Coldsteel to you, too.

BUT I have always had the bank Autopay the DISH bill and had unlisted number before changing it to another one.

No, I have paid ALL my bills on time and have NO credit problems ever and not now, either. I owe no one! Who can eally say that and not be lying?

All I want is peace and quiet and not buy anything from DISH except what I call them for. I've called them and emailed them about just this subject and I've been ignored and ignored - obviously.

#8 OFFLINE   pagoo

pagoo

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:51 PM

Dear Grumpy Bear -

Bill was originally due on 12th and I even went back to Auto BillPay in Bank and set pay date to the 6th so it was plenty early!

This is NOT about my bill being late - my paper balance says "$0.00" balance due. Somehow there is a gremlin that no one will fix in the acctg. dept or someone is getting an exra bit of money to make the AutoCall, because that's what it is - automatically rolling though all the clients of DISH to make them pay early, or maybe they need money in a hurry. Their stock has gone down practically daily... Check Bloomberg TV.

Perhaps someone doesn't like the idea of Google TV hookup with DISH - maybe Murdoch(sp?) or my current MSNTV (Microsoft set-top box) which I've had since 1996. People are dissing Google TV saying no one will like it - well there are a few hundred of us oldies who've hung on since those mid-90's and would grab Google TV in a bink as MSNTV is not upgrading anything. We didn't have mal for over a day. The Google TV idea is great. Maybe DISH is overwhelmed perhaps and just lets their autocallers keep calling.

Anyway, it's is obvious no one here has been in this situation nor have they complained to the government or sued a company for this. I'll merely drop complain into FCC and FTC inbox tomorrow and also call the NV Consumer Affairs Dept. Sen. Harry Reid has laways helped in this stuff but I hate to bother im - they've enough on their plates. / Please don't begin a political discussion I'm going to sleep.

Anyway - I'm disabled and bedridden and hate involvement in this type of blog/discussion situation, ever. But thanks, everyone.

-pagoo

#9 OFFLINE   markrubi

markrubi

Icon

• Registered
  • 690 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:02 PM

Since you do business with Dish they can call you even though your are on the Do Not Call List.

#10 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,291 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:18 PM

Since you do business with Dish they can call you even though your are on the Do Not Call List.

Yep.

The federal and state "do not call" lists have exceptions for companies you do business with. So DISH isn't violating those laws.

If the OP was actually in debt to DISH looking at the fair debt collection acts would be good ... but telling a service provider not to call you may end up with you in collections and no more services provided. Of course with the OP paying on time "your bill is late" calls shouldn't come.

Perhaps there was a missed month or something that led to DISH thinking there was more owed than the customer? It doesn't make sense to ask for payment if the bills are being paid on time.

#11 OFFLINE   Dave

Dave

Icon

• Registered
  • 864 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 01:04 AM

Or perhaps Dish's computer system is just out of whack. But sometimes you may have to complain to the BBC in Colorado where Dish is located, and Nevada where you live. Also call or E-mail the state attorney generals office for help. Dish can be very hard headed about some things. I for one believe your story. Some on here will not and say, Oh he's behind or Dish wouldn't do this unless he was behind or always late. If you had the right phone system you could block out dish from calling you. Some of the answers on here are going to be in Dish's favor, because there are Dish fan boys in this forum. I for one have not run across this problem with Dish. Could luck on getting it straightened out.

#12 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:30 AM

I wonder if your number has been changed to one that once belonged to a customer who owes them money, and they think they are calling that customer?

#13 OFFLINE   l8er

l8er

Icon

• Registered
  • 624 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:04 AM

BUT - if you ask them to place you on "their" do not call list, under the current regulations they are required to do that and stop calling you. This applies to anyone (or group) that thinks they are exempt from the do not call ban.
-GA

#14 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:13 AM

Or perhaps Dish's computer system is just out of whack. But sometimes you may have to complain to the BBC in Colorado where Dish is located, and Nevada where you live. Also call or E-mail the state attorney generals office for help. Dish can be very hard headed about some things. I for one believe your story. Some on here will not and say, Oh he's behind or Dish wouldn't do this unless he was behind or always late. If you had the right phone system you could block out dish from calling you. Some of the answers on here are going to be in Dish's favor, because there are Dish fan boys in this forum. I for one have not run across this problem with Dish. Could luck on getting it straightened out.

Has nothing to do with being a Fanboy or not. Yes Dish's computer system could be out of whack. IF the system was out of whack a lot more people would be getting these kind of phone call's. Automated call's like this are generated by several different systems, and there are several checks built into the system. There are actually RULES in place that, a company has to adhere to when building a automated collection scheme.
I have no 1st hand knowledge of how Dish does it. I do have 1st hand knowledge on how Sprint and American Express handles this.
A Glitch in the system would be effecting 10's of 1000's of users, maybe more.

#15 OFFLINE   finniganps

finniganps

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:31 AM

I wonder if your number has been changed to one that once belonged to a customer who owes them money, and they think they are calling that customer?

I think that is very likely......when I got a new cell phone number I received calls for 4 months from people (bill collectors, attorneys) even though I identified myself in the voicemail as NOT being this person....they kept leaving messages until I answered and told them they had the wrong number. You may want to just answer the phone and find out if they are trying to reach you or someone else. If you don't get a live person...as soon as you pick up and hear the recording hang up...and try not to let it get you so upset. It's like solicitors, they call I say not interested and hang up (assuming I pick up at all).

#16 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:01 AM

I think that is very likely......when I got a new cell phone number I received calls for 4 months from people (bill collectors, attorneys) even though I identified myself in the voicemail as NOT being this person....they kept leaving messages until I answered and told them they had the wrong number. You may want to just answer the phone and find out if they are trying to reach you or someone else. If you don't get a live person...as soon as you pick up and hear the recording hang up...and try not to let it get you so upset. It's like solicitors, they call I say not interested and hang up (assuming I pick up at all).

that would be a unlucky break, to get a new number of a old Dish customer, but would make more sense. More to this, than meets the posting eye.

#17 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:16 AM

I must admit to being slow to pay some hospital bills and my caller ID and answering machine don't get at all worked up when the collectors call...

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#18 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:52 PM

My bank's Bill Pay says to allow 10 days for the payment to be completed (which is ridiculous), so You might set it to pay 10 or 11 days before the bill is due.

I only use Bill Pay for one entity.

I find it much easier to use either a manually scheduled EFT monthly or automatic drafts by the business themselves, then if they mess it up it's their fault, just keep a eye on them.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#19 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 718 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 07:55 AM

E-mail ceo@dishnetwork.com and explain the situation.
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#20 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 10:14 AM

This is possible. At one time I had E* calling me trying get me to come back if they gave me a free HDDVR. Only this was that I was a current customer and had the same phone number since i had become a customer. Very odd but the computer had mixed up some infomation. I believe the OP.
Dish Customer since 12/13/03
Leased 722 DVR (Under contract until 08/02/10?)
(The installer had me sign an exsisting customer 18 month agreement!)
Owned 301 (Purchased at Wal-Mart 12/12/03)

spam firewall