Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Confused...D* refused to give me Whole home without DECA

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   peters4n6

peters4n6

Legend

• Registered
  • 262 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:30 PM

I thought that if you have the supported equipment (I do), and you have a wired home (I do) that you could run the whole home service as is, without a $99 charge for DECA install.

I've read a lot about DECA vs. ethernet lately, but did not realize it was a philosophical discussion; I thought some people had the whole-home service simply turned on by D*

Did anyone call D*, tell them they had a wired home, and they then turned the service on?

One HR21 with AM21 OTA (playroom)

One HR24-100 (great room)
One HR24-500 (Master BR) with AM21 OTA
SL5-SWM
two receivers with 1TB drives in external enclosures connected via esata.
Winegard hd-1080 UHF/hi-VHF antenna

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,909 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:35 PM

Check out this thread at the top of the forum:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=177590
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:41 PM

You can get it. I do. A lot of folks around here have MRV using their Ethernet wiring.

Call DirecTV and tell them you want to enable MRV unsupported. That's the key. You're on your own. If there are wiring/dish problems, you are SOL. You'll have to pay to get DECA and SWiM installed (which for most folks is a really good deal at $149) for DirecTV to take responsibility.

You can find threads on this. Here are two reference ones by Doug Brott. The first one is active and pinned in the Connected Home sub-forum:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=177590

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=177090

EDIT: Like he said. :grin:
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#4 OFFLINE   chrpai

chrpai

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:05 AM

I just did this yesterday. We got a new HR24-500 which looked "shiney and new" to my wife compared to the old HR20-100. She asked me to swap them.

So I had emailed D* requesting the Whole Home activation and then my wife realized that all of her recordings were now upstairs and not available to her. Feeling a litle guilty I decided to call in. When the computer asked me what I needed I said Whole Home DVR. After a little bit of an extended wait an agent answered who new exactly what I wanted when I said I had my own network and I wanted to activate the DVR in unsupported mode. He read me a disclaimer, explained the cost of DECA if I ever had a problem and then had me to go both receivers to confirm that it was activated and working.

#5 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:43 AM

I thought that if you have the supported equipment (I do), and you have a wired home (I do) that you could run the whole home service as is, without a $99 charge for DECA install.

I've read a lot about DECA vs. ethernet lately, but did not realize it was a philosophical discussion; I thought some people had the whole-home service simply turned on by D*

Did anyone call D*, tell them they had a wired home, and they then turned the service on?

You just need to get a CSR that knows they can activate it without DECA. Not easy but doable.

#6 OFFLINE   peters4n6

peters4n6

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 262 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:15 AM

thanks all. i sent an email...let's see what happens

One HR21 with AM21 OTA (playroom)

One HR24-100 (great room)
One HR24-500 (Master BR) with AM21 OTA
SL5-SWM
two receivers with 1TB drives in external enclosures connected via esata.
Winegard hd-1080 UHF/hi-VHF antenna

spam firewall