Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Install Questions - Pre-Planning

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kevin86

kevin86

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:46 AM

Hi, was looking for some info. I have my install set up for next Friday the 18th.

My plan was to keep my existing Comcast Cable internet. Is this going to cause a problem with the install and make it more complicated or get it delayed? Or is this a pretty common thing the installers have to deal with?

If it's common, just out of curiosity how do they deal with it? Because I'm assuming the pipe the Sat signal in over your existing CoAx.

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable

Icon

• Registered
  • 717 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:51 AM

Hi, was looking for some info. I have my install set up for next Friday the 18th.

My plan was to keep my existing Comcast Cable internet. Is this going to cause a problem with the install and make it more complicated or get it delayed? Or is this a pretty common thing the installers have to deal with?

If it's common, just out of curiosity how do they deal with it? Because I'm assuming the pipe the Sat signal in over your existing CoAx.

Thanks.

You assume incorrectly. They will run fresh RG6 cables as needed. Your satellite system makes demands that a cable TV setup cannot keep up with.
Fox News : It grows on you... kinda like cancer.

#3 OFFLINE   Hdhead

Hdhead

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:54 AM

Directv will not share the same coax cable with Comcast. They will have run a second cable. This is standard install procedure. However if it means fishing new cable through walls it will be additional charge. They generally come in through the outside wall where you need receivers.
2 - HR20-100s
1 - HR21-100
1 - HR21-700
1 - HR34 Genie
1 - H24-100
1 - H24-200
SWM16/DECA

#4 OFFLINE   kevin86

kevin86

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:58 AM

Thanks for the info....very helpful!!! I guess now I just need to figure out how to get the signal to my other rooms.

#5 OFFLINE   beckp

beckp

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:58 AM

You might want to consider dumping Comcast. I had Comcast for a long time up until a week ago as well as DirecTV. When my house was built, the builder allowed me to run RG6 where I wanted, so I did (every room in the house except bathrooms). When I got a HD TV in 2002 I went with D* for three TV's and stayed with Comcast for the rest. I liked that with Comcast I didn't need a STB. Now that Comcast rolled out their crappy STB's I figured what the heck, I now need a STB anyhow so I canceled Comcast and went with DirecTV ...saving me $44 a month.

People complain about D* customer service but holy crap, go visit or call you local Comcast office.
Thanks,

#6 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:47 AM

One thing to consider is that with your Comcast Internet, you only need a coax run to the modem itself. If all of the other runs from where the cable comes into your house at are straight runs to each of your rooms where you have a TV you should still be able to use those cables. The cables would be disconnected from the splitters at the start point and then connected to a DirecTV splitter. You would just need to leave the one cable that is going to the cable modem.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#7 OFFLINE   kevin86

kevin86

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:09 AM

One thing to consider is that with your Comcast Internet, you only need a coax run to the modem itself. If all of the other runs from where the cable comes into your house at are straight runs to each of your rooms where you have a TV you should still be able to use those cables. The cables would be disconnected from the splitters at the start point and then connected to a DirecTV splitter. You would just need to leave the one cable that is going to the cable modem.

- Merg

Thanks! Is this true? That's exactly what I wanted to hear. I was hoping I could do that.

My house was built in 2001 so I would assume the Coax is good enough for DirecTV no?

#8 OFFLINE   john18

john18

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 978 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:46 AM

My house was built in 1997 and I was the first owner, signing the contract while the lot was all dirt. I had some input regarding cable drops, speaker wiring, etc. I also started out with cable TV and internet.

When I went to D* for programming I stayed on cable internet and D* ran their own cables through whatever walls were needed. After awhile I dumped the cable Internet and went to DSL. At this point my pre-wired coax connections were no longer being used by anything.

I recently added the D* Whole Home DVR solution, which included a connection to my router so that I could get On Demand and other services via my DSL broadband. When they came to install that they stopped using all the previous through-the-wall wiring and went back to my built-in coax connections, all of which were in exactly the correct spots for my TV's and computer. They upgraded the actual coax connectors at the wall for the different bandwidths and everything works just fine.

What was old (although not very) is once again new.

spam firewall