Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Network is apparently full of crap

mt alignment

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ciurca

ciurca

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:30 AM

This is per the president of WBOC in the Salisbury, MD market.

Craig,
Despite DISH's claims to the contrary, there is NO agreement to carry
WBOC, FOX 21 or WMDT (ABC) on DISH. In fact I've spent a great deal of
time recently trying to thwart the misinformation.

I very much want DISH to carry our stations and was in negotiations with
them to make that happen. Unfortunately DISH broke off negotiations two
weeks ago and told me they would not be launching us in this market.

My hope is that DirecTV will do so in the near future.

Craig Jahelka
Vice President & General Manager
WBOC-TV / FOX 21 / Interactive
1729 North Salisbury Blvd.
Salisbury, MD 21801
410-749-1111

HR34
HR23
Slingbox Pro HD

Twitter -> @saltwater_rider
Facebook -> facebook.com/craig.ciurca

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:09 PM

I'm not familiar with this particular situation, but based on other areas that I do know about, I would submit that you're reading a very biased take on what is going on.

Many local stations are trying to get HUGE (50-300+%) fee increases for retransmission rights. Dish may have broken off negotiations because the local channel owners were simply being unreasonable with these fees, and wouldn't agree to a realisitic number.

Don't be fooled. While everything this GM stated may be true, it's certainly not "the whole story."

#3 OFFLINE   ronsanjim

ronsanjim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 417 posts
  • LocationCherokee Village, AR

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:43 PM

It still fraudulent advertising by Dish, my friend. And based on Dish's track record of stretching the truth, and outright lying, its rather easy to see possibly the "whole story" here, without securing Dish's side of the story. Past history speak volumes.

#4 OFFLINE   Marvin

Marvin

Godfather

• Registered
  • 301 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 01:41 PM

WBOC was running ads last year durring hurricane season saying that if you subbed to a dish provider you'd need an antenna in order to keep up to date with local weather information on WBOC/FOX21 and WMDT (the ABC Affiliate here).

I haven't seen any such ads on WMDT, which leads me to believe WBOC is the hold up.

I personally can get all the local channels in HD perfectly so it doesnt matter to me.

#5 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,240 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:40 PM

What is this thread doing in a DirecTV forum?
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#6 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:46 PM

What is this thread doing in a DirecTV forum?

Moral superiority of Directv????
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

#7 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:49 PM

Guys, you can't tell the DISH trolls they should stay away from this forum if you're gonna insist on leaving troll bait out like this. . .

#8 OFFLINE   satguy22

satguy22

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:00 PM

People like these are why we have commericals that lie about eveything. Lies are excepted in ads and all parts of our lives. What happen to truth?? dtv says dish needs two dishes to get hd and direct tv doesnt need two dishes for thier programing, any programing!! Not true! International channels need two dishes to get all channels. Stop the lies and state facts and we all win.

#9 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:11 PM

I'm not familiar with this particular situation, ... it's certainly not "the whole story."

So, you don't know anything about the situation, but you can still state this with certainty. At least, you make no secret of your own bias. When I've mentioned DirecTV's refusal to carry NBC HD in Honolulu, I usually get treated to this kind of tall tale about failed negotiations due to unreasonable local demands, without any slightest trace of evidence that it's true. It's very irritating.
Greg

#10 OFFLINE   ffemtreed

ffemtreed

Icon

• Registered
  • 958 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:15 PM

I live in this area and I can't wait to get our locals instead of Baltimore locals. Baltimore fox is the worst audio I ever heard!

#11 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:02 PM

People like these are why we have commericals that lie about eveything. Lies are excepted in ads and all parts of our lives. What happen to truth?? dtv says dish needs two dishes to get hd and direct tv doesnt need two dishes for thier programing, any programing!! Not true! International channels need two dishes to get all channels. Stop the lies and state facts and we all win.

You can't handle the truth.

#12 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:08 PM

So far, the only reason I'm happy that DISH is around is to keep DirecTV on their toes....like the current "free HD" fiasco.

If it seems too good to be true it probably is. I'm just waiting to see where both DISH and DirecTV decide to make up for that lost $10 a month HD fee revenue... :(

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#13 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:59 PM

So, you don't know anything about the situation, but you can still state this with certainty. At least, you make no secret of your own bias. When I've mentioned DirecTV's refusal to carry NBC HD in Honolulu, I usually get treated to this kind of tall tale about failed negotiations due to unreasonable local demands, without any slightest trace of evidence that it's true. It's very irritating.

You *do* realize that the sat companies are at a huge disadvantage in an area when they can't offer locals over the sat, right? It is in the satellite company's best interest to offer locals unless the market is tiny. So, why would they break off negotiations to carry the channel? Why would they be in negotiations in the first place? There's only one answer: money.

#14 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:45 PM

So, why would they break off negotiations to carry the channel? Why would they be in negotiations in the first place? There's only one answer: money.

I don't know. Your theory about what is going on seems plausible to me. But we must resist the impulse to present theories as facts. Your adverb "certainly" applied to a situation you have no factual knowledge of struck me as inappropriate.
Greg

#15 OFFLINE   ffemtreed

ffemtreed

Icon

• Registered
  • 958 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:08 PM

I don't know. Your theory about what is going on seems plausible to me. But we must resist the impulse to present theories as facts. Your adverb "certainly" applied to a situation you have no factual knowledge of struck me as inappropriate.

I personally thought it was pretty clear that battlezone was offering his opinion on what was going on. His first sentence tells you that.

#16 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,264 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:28 PM

Maybe I missed something... Does this have to do with Dish's announcement that they will offer locals in every market?

If so, and I don't know all the details, but does Dish's claim state that they offer all the local channels in every market or just that they offer locals in every market. If the latter is true and there is more than just ABC and FOX in this market, then they would not technically be lying.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#17 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:43 PM

... or just that they offer locals in every market. If the latter is true and there is more than just ABC and FOX in this market, then they would not technically be lying.

So long as we're parsing out possible lies, let's come closer to home to consider whether the following is a lie: "For customers who live within the designed area of each market, DIRECTV will deliver HD programming from the primary broadcast networks - ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC - where available." (D* press release). But in market #71, Honolulu, where D* does deliver HD programming, NBC is available in HD yet not carried in HD.
Greg

#18 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,264 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:48 PM

So long as we're parsing out possible lies, let's come closer to home to consider whether the following is a lie: "For customers who live within the designed area of each market, DIRECTV will deliver HD programming from the primary broadcast networks - ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC - where available." (D* press release). But in market #71, Honolulu, where D* does deliver HD programming, NBC is available in HD yet not carried in HD.

Not sure why you quoted my post. It was more of question as to what exactly DISH had lied about and then what two possible views can be taken from what they said (if I assumed correctly what the OP was posting about).

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#19 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:15 PM

Not sure why you quoted my post.

The issue is the same. A generalization is made, but without an "all" being used explicitly, but an exception is found. Was the generalization a lie, in view of the exception?
Greg

#20 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,793 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:40 PM

This is not an issue relating to DirecTV. If you wish to discuss DISH Network there is an appropriate forum. If you wish to compare DISH and DirecTV start a thread in the General Satellite forum.

Thanks.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...