Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

508 vs. 211?

wiring

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   finniganps

finniganps

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:40 AM

I currently have a 722 and 508. On the 508 they charge $7/mo. and are giving me a loyalty credit of $2/mo. for two more months, then I will have to pay the $7/mo. As you know the 508 is MPEG2 and is NOT HD. I'm thinking about buying a 211 and EHD, then selling the 508. Wouldn't the monthly fee be the same and other than the one time activation charge for the DVR, is there any disadvantage to what I am suggesting (any higher fees)?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:05 AM

I would think you should start SAVING money, since the 211 will not have the DVR fee.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#3 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:27 AM

The monthly fee for a 508 and a 211 are identical - neither has a DVR fee or increased additional rec fee for being a DVR. You would have to pay a one time fee to add the EHD to the 211 ($40 for EHD activation, and unknown $ for the 211 and drive themselves). DISH'n It Up will also have a 24 month commit - that commit is the only thing I'd call a downside.

HUGE difference in functionality and recording space between them. As long as you have OTA digitals, 211 can record them and a sat channel at the same time.

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:11 AM

I agree with all of the above, but I wouldn't count on getting much from the 508...

#5 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:41 AM

I have a 508 that only works if I power the drive externally - I need a new power supply card to be able to do both the receiver and drive. If anybody knows where one could be purchased, please speak up.

I mention it because I'd buy the 508 for the part if it were cheap enough. For a while, I watched eBay and was surprised by prices people would pay, and more so by prices people would ask. There is a NIB for $139 + $18 shipping which is more than the $150 I paid DISH to purchase a 508 directly (actually bought two) years ago. Several went for over $50 (another $20 shipping) so OP might get something for it. But not from me when I can use the external power supply for the drive (don't want to lose the recordings).

#6 OFFLINE   finniganps

finniganps

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:25 PM

Thanks for the advice...I just bought the 211. What is the maximum size HD I can purchase that will be recognized by the 211 (eg. will a 2 TB drive work or are they still limited to 1TB)?

#7 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:41 PM

You would be safe with 1TB on a 211. Increased sizes were available for 622/722 but until someone passes by that knows a 211 works with 1.5TB / 2TB, I'd stick with known working size. There is an External drives thread in the 622/722 Forum, but I don't think there has been any mention of 211 since Mar/Apr there.

If you just purchase an enclosure, you could get started with some drive you removed from a PC and replace the drive when DISH increases the max on a 211 (assumes it wasn't already increased).

#8 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 565 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:35 AM

There may not be a DVR fee, but isn't there a Solo Receiver Fee? I have a $7 per month (was $5) fee on my 501. It's been that way since day one on all my receivers up to and past the new fees.

#9 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,867 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:34 AM

You would be safe with 1TB on a 211. Increased sizes were available for 622/722 but until someone passes by that knows a 211 works with 1.5TB / 2TB, I'd stick with known working size. There is an External drives thread in the 622/722 Forum, but I don't think there has been any mention of 211 since Mar/Apr there.

If you just purchase an enclosure, you could get started with some drive you removed from a PC and replace the drive when DISH increases the max on a 211 (assumes it wasn't already increased).

Someone did tests 1.5 and 2 TB on 211 and posted results here. Negative results.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wiring

Protected By... spam firewall...And...