Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD Receiver problem/questions

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Defence21

Defence21

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:35 PM

Hi all, new here and new Dish Network subscriber.

My wife and I just moved into our new home and have selected Dish Network as our television provider. Initially, we started with a tube T.V., but two days later, we purchased a Samsung HD TV.

I have several questions that I hope some fellow Dish subscribers can answer.

1. Should the receiver be turned off (all lights off) when the TV is off? I'm thinking the answer is no, since some DVRing will take place with the TV off. The reason I ask is that, when I turn off the TV using the Dish remote control, the Dish also turns off (all lights turn off). In other words, as it is currently set up, my receiver is never on (lights on) unless the TV is on. If, in fact, this is the incorrect setup, how do I fix it?

2. Building on my first question, when I turn on the TV (and consequently, my receiver), there is about a 15-20 second delay where the Dish logo is on the screen. Apparently, it is loading whatever it needs to load -- but I can't recall this being the same when we used the tube TV (although that was just for a 24-hour span, and I very easily could be relying on my poor memory). If this shouldn't be happening, does the solution fall within the answer to my first question?

3. Lastly, it seems once per day I am unable to go directly to viewing shows without first updating the channel guide, which takes five minutes, or canceling the channel guide update, which leaves the guide filled with "no information" for the tv lineups for each channel. Again, is this a result of question one? If not, is there any work-around?

It seems all of these questions are linked and would be easily solved by leaving my receiver on. But, with zero experience with a Dish, I really don't know if this is accurate and, if so, how I would go about leaving it on. Any help would be much appreciated!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,151 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:44 PM

I would say yes turn your receiver off when not using it. Don't worry your DVR will still record what it's supposed to. As for the program guide that should be updating every night at I think the default is 3 am, so unless you're watching tv at that time you shouldn't be having problem with the program guide not being up to date. Of course if you're keeping your receiver on I suppose it's possible it's interpreting that as you using it at the time and therefore the program guide downloads aren't taking place.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#3 OFFLINE   Defence21

Defence21

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:47 PM

Thanks for the quick response!

My channel guide has updated each of the last few nights at around 9 p.m., not 3 a.m. Is there some sort of setting within the receiver menu I can adjust to change the time?

#4 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,151 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:56 PM

My channel guide has updated each of the last few nights at around 9 p.m., not 3 a.m. Is there some sort of setting within the receiver menu I can adjust to change the time?

The answer is yes and if I was sitting in front of a tv with my dish remote i'm sure i'd even be able to figure out how and tell you, but at the moment i'm not. Hopefully one of the other regulars here who have all that stuff memorized will respond before too long! :D

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#5 OFFLINE   russ9

russ9

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 01:01 PM

Menu, 8 (Preferences), 4 (Updates)
Dishing it up since 4-4-1997
vip722K hooked up to a bunch of stuff. Like a bigger TV.

Soon to be on Dish network, explained by a BBC spokesman

#6 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 01:06 PM

Can you follow the power cord from the receiver to see what it is plugged into? If I hit the pause button and turn off my TV with the TV Power button, it doesn't change any lights on my receiver. When I turn the TV back on, it is still displaying the paused show. It sounds somewhat like your TV has a switched power connection on it and turning off the TV turns off something else. Might not be the receiver and only be a power inserter, but you said the receiver lights go off too.

You can change the time that the receiver does a daily reboot, which forces a guide update. But the guide will update any chance it gets. The downloaded 9 day guide itself is only updated every 4/6/8 (can't remember which) and if the receiver is in Standby and the EPG date is newer than the date the receiver last downloaded it, it will get the new stuff. If you scroll to the end of the guide now and note the time it won't go past, you'll find it will go past that point (or ask if you want to get more) if you try it again in 8 hours. Maybe 4 hours.

#7 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,726 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:35 PM

DO NOT plug your DVR into an outlet that can get "turned off" ! At the least, LEAVE THAT OUTLET turned on all the time.

If you have issues with power flickers, you may even want to consider putting the DVR on a UPS. I leave all my DVRs in a UPS - not necessarily to do a long time outage, but rather, just for said flickers - DVRs take such a long time to reboot that I consider it well worth it to prevent the reboots.

As for lights / power consumption - Dish's DVRs pretty much pull the same power whether the video is on or off . If it's plugged in, it can record and get guide updates and the occaisional software updates (and any of the VOD movies as well) whenever you're not using it.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#8 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:57 PM

I would say yes turn your receiver off when not using it.

Why?
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#9 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:59 PM

My channel guide has updated each of the last few nights at around 9 p.m., not 3 a.m.

Are you stating that it reboots at 9:00 PM? What messages do you get on the screen when it does this, assuming you're watching TV at that time?
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#10 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,151 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:12 PM

Why?

Mostly because my personal experience is that it doesn't run as hot and the cooling fan comes on less often when the power is off and i've also had problems similar to what the OP was describing that when I kept my receiver on all the time it seems to interfere with the updates. Of course it seems that his receiver is trying to do its updates at 9:00 at night and I can see how that could be an issue.

#11 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 655 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:16 PM

the op may not have a dvr but rather a 211 that only has a 2 day guide

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#12 OFFLINE   Defence21

Defence21

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:46 AM

Thanks for all the help. I do have DVR receiver, and the channel guide continues to update at like 9 p.m. --- though not daily -- despite my setting of 3 a.m.

I do think I figured out the slow load time every time I turn on the TV. I purchased a surge protector, which has a master outlet. I believe -- though I have not yet tested -- that the device plugged into the master outlet -- my TV -- must be on in order for the other outlets to work.

My assumption comes from the fact that, when I turn off my TV, my Wii, DVD player, and HD/DVR receiver all turn off. With that being said, I am assuming, then, that it would be wise to plug the HD/DVR receiver into the master outlet. That would allow it to remain on at all times and, thus, allow all other devices to operate without first turning on the TV.

#13 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:47 AM

My assumption comes from the fact that, when I turn off my TV, my Wii, DVD player, and HD/DVR receiver all turn off. With that being said, I am assuming, then, that it would be wise to plug the HD/DVR receiver into the master outlet. That would allow it to remain on at all times and, thus, allow all other devices to operate without first turning on the TV.

Well, yes. If you're turning everything off at the switch, then it won't update at 3AM, because it won't be on. :D

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#14 OFFLINE   Defence21

Defence21

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:53 AM

Well, yes. If you're turning everything off at the switch, then it won't update at 3AM, because it won't be on. :D

I never claimed to be tech savvy :)

Technically, I am not turning everything off at the switch. It does it automatically :D

Thanks, everyone, for all the help! I truly appreciate it!

#15 OFFLINE   jimborst

jimborst

Legend

• Registered
  • 188 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 11:58 AM

Since the Dvr had no power, the updates would be done when you turn it on, so the guide download would be done then. I say leave it on 24/7 that way it does it's thing and you don't have to worry.

#16 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 12:32 PM

Since the Dvr had no power, the updates would be done when you turn it on, so the guide download would be done then. I say leave it on 24/7 that way it does it's thing and you don't have to worry.

I've always left my receivers on 24/7 since 1999.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#17 OFFLINE   tymekeeper

tymekeeper

Legend

• Registered
  • 158 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 01:19 PM

It should be plugged into an ALWAYS HOT outlet. You can "turn it of" actually just standby, no lights, It will record and do other functions normally. It will use some what less power and the Hard drive will still run continuously as it is supposed to do. You never did say what model receiver you have.

spam firewall