Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Buying used ViP HD DVR, questions...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jgarveyATL

jgarveyATL

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 01:50 PM

I want to add another HD DVR to my setup, but don't want to extend my contract (AT&T is installing uVerse in my neighborhood, may be up in 30-60 days). Dish has quoted $450 for a solo DVR.

I've bought 2 used 508's before off eBay and have had good experiences with both. The major difference was that 508's are not leased.

is there an equivalent HD DVR that is not leased? The CSR at dish told me to make sure it "wasn't leased." can they tell that from the receiver ID? Or is it model specific?

Is there anything else I need to check beside the receiver ID to ensure the associated customer account is clear?

Thanks
james-

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:13 PM

Get the receiver number (Rxxxxxxxxxxxx) and call it in to Dish, and they can tell you the receiver's status. You need to be sure that:

- It is owned, not leased.
- It isn't active on someone's account.
- It doesn't have a negative balance tied to it from the previous account.

#3 OFFLINE   finniganps

finniganps

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 11:17 PM

You want to BUY a receiver to use for 1-2 months??? Why bother...just wait for the U-verse if you plan on switching. Cheapest alternative is probably a 211...you'd need to buy an EHD if you don't have one and pay a 1 time activation fee of $40.

#4 OFFLINE   jgarveyATL

jgarveyATL

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 05:48 AM

You want to BUY a receiver to use for 1-2 months??? Why bother...just wait for the U-verse if you plan on switching. Cheapest alternative is probably a 211...you'd need to buy an EHD if you don't have one and pay a 1 time activation fee of $40.

@finniganps, that's a great idea. I hadn't thought of doing that. I'm in for about $140 (I have several hard drives laying around to use with the device).

Only reason I'm bothering with buying something is because there's no set date for uVerse to be installed. It might be 1-2 months, it might be 6 months+. Plus I can just resell the DVR I get on ebay from about the same price I bought. If I activate a new contract, I'm out $17.50/month for 24 months ($420). As long as uVerse shows up in next 12 months, I'm basically out $40 for the EHD fee.

Edited by jgarveyATL, 13 June 2010 - 05:56 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...