Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Confused about MVR capability

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gsslug

gsslug

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:16 PM

I have two HD DVRs and I am scheduled to have MVR installed on Wed. Will each DVR still be able to record two shows at a time for a total of four shows being recorded at the same time?

I was reading another thread and a post seemed to suggest that once MRV is installed I will only be able to record a total of two shows at a time. One on each DVR or two on one or the other.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,859 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:18 PM

Yes, you can record on all you tuners, even if someone is watching a recording via MRV.

MRV doesn't effect the way your receivers currently operate. If you have two DVRs, then all four tuners may be recording at once.

I have three DVRs and there have been times where I've had all six tuners recording while watching recordings via MRV. :)

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#3 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,911 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:18 PM

I have two HD DVRs and I am scheduled to have MVR installed on Wed. Will each DVR still be able to record two shows at a time for a total of four shows being recorded at the same time?

Yes.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#4 OFFLINE   rcruz2525

rcruz2525

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:40 PM

That is great!!
Make sure they do a good job on the installation.

This may help.

Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   gsslug

gsslug

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:58 PM

That is great!!
Make sure they do a good job on the installation.[/IMG]

A good installation is certainly the key. If they replace the dish, I have a Slimline, then it will have to be properly aligned and I'm not even sure my current dish is optimized as I show some sats in the low 80s. Inside I suspect they will have no problem getting MRV set up but hooking to the internet will require a wireless connection between my DVR and wireless router. I don't know if they will provide the necessary wireless device without an additional charge. I did tell them at the time I signed up for MRV that I also wanted connection to the internet but I didn't tell them, and they didn't ask, that there is no wired access to my router near the DVR.

We shall see what happens.

#6 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 557 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:10 PM

A good installation is certainly the key. If they replace the dish, I have a Slimline, then it will have to be properly aligned and I'm not even sure my current dish is optimized as I show some sats in the low 80s. Inside I suspect they will have no problem getting MRV set up but hooking to the internet will require a wireless connection between my DVR and wireless router. I don't know if they will provide the necessary wireless device without an additional charge. I did tell them at the time I signed up for MRV that I also wanted connection to the internet but I didn't tell them, and they didn't ask, that there is no wired access to my router near the DVR.

We shall see what happens.

They may run a cable to whereever your router is located and give you a wired connection.

#7 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:42 PM

Do you currently have any of your receivers connected to the Internet?

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#8 OFFLINE   gsslug

gsslug

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 01:49 AM

They may run a cable to whereever your router is located and give you a wired connection.

That would be extremely difficult

Do you currently have any of your receivers connected to the Internet?- Merg

No.

#9 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:55 AM

Do you currently have any of your receivers connected to the Internet?

- Merg

No.

In that case, since running a cable near your router is not going to be possible, you will probably need a wireless ethernet adapter. You can either use one of the standard gaming adapters or you can use an inexpensive router that is re-configured to act as a wireless bridge. If you currently only have Wireless-G for your main router, you should still be okay as the Internet connection is just to be able to download DirecTV on Demand offerings and ordering PPV's via the Internet. With Wireless-G, you just might need wait a bit longer before you start watching the movie that you are downloading.

One other possibility would be to use PowerLine Ethernet Adapters.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#10 OFFLINE   gsslug

gsslug

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 01:10 PM

One other possibility would be to use PowerLine Ethernet Adapters.

I considered that but I understand they have problems when not on the same circuit. Don't want to spend $100+ and find out they won't work in my house.

I thought DTV sold some kind of wireless adapter?

I already have a gaming adapter but to make it work with my system I would have to change the encryption type. Since I had a lot of problems in the past getting my wireless notebook to talk to my wireless router now that it's been working trouble free for a long time I'm reluctant to make changes. But I suppose if I want to connect to the internet I'll have to bite the bullet.

spam firewall