Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

EPG download

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2002 - 07:44 AM

Please bear with me, I'm new. How do you download the Electonic Program Guide (EPG) on the 501? Is it automatic or do I have to set something up?

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   spartanrob

spartanrob

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 19 April 2002 - 07:51 AM

I am now registered (thought I already was). Thanks in advance for your replies.

#3 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 19 April 2002 - 08:17 AM

Welcome to DBSTalk, spartanrob! :hi:

The 501 downloads the guide automatically when you put it in standby mode (i.e. turn it off with the power button on the remote). I believe (haven't tested this myself) that you can also leave it tuned to one of the channels that is on transponder #1 off the 119 sat (channels 106, 107, 108, 162, 184, 208, 209, 230, 239, 304, 426) and it will update your guide data. If all else fails, scroll out in your guide until you get to the dreaded no information available blocks, then try to pull up program information for one of them - that should force the guide to be updated.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#4 OFFLINE   spartanrob

spartanrob

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 19 April 2002 - 08:45 AM

Thanks for the information, I look forward to playing with the system this weekend.

#5 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,862 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 19 April 2002 - 10:19 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the 501 "7-9 day guide" was carried on 110 only. Every other satellite, including 119, carries the 48-hour guide for the other receivers.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#6 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 19 April 2002 - 11:27 AM

Is it only on 110? If so, then he'd need to set the channel to one of the TP1 channels on 110.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com

#7 OFFLINE   spartanrob

spartanrob

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 19 April 2002 - 11:44 AM

So, the safest bet is just to put the unit in standby mode. How long should it stay in standby mode?

#8 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,862 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 19 April 2002 - 02:55 PM

Depends. I leave mine in standby mode whenever I'm not using it.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#9 OFFLINE   JohnL

JohnL

Icon

• Registered
  • 701 posts

Posted 19 April 2002 - 03:04 PM

Originally posted by Mark Lamutt
Is it only on 110? If so, then he'd need to set the channel to one of the TP1 channels on 110.

Actually the Extended EPG (9 Day guide) that the 501 uses comes from Transponder 3 at 110 degrees.

Channels that are also on this transponder are Gem Shopping Network (Part Time) and 8 PPV channels as well as Dish's Interactive Home Channel.

BTW my Avatar is the reason I get Distant Nets even though I'm in a Grade A signal Contour. I love Dish's RV/Commercial Trucker Waiver Program.

John

#10 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 19 April 2002 - 03:41 PM

Thanks for clearing me up on that, John. TP3 channels on 110 are: 100,217,253,506,510,511,516,521,523,524,525
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com

#11 OFFLINE   spartanrob

spartanrob

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 19 April 2002 - 06:18 PM

OK, you guys are talking a lot of greek to me, can you explain that in plain english? Thanks

#12 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 19 April 2002 - 09:12 PM

Sorry, spartanrob. If you leave your 501 on, and leave it tuned to one of the channels from my previous post, the guide will be updated on your 501 automatically.

With the dish 500 antenna, you are actually pointing at 2 different satellite locations - located at 119 degrees and 110 degrees (orbital slots). On those satellites are the transponders, from which the channels are beamed back to earth. Each transponder has a number of channels on it - I think an average of about 11 channels per transponder is what dish is doing at the moment. So, the channels that I listed in my post above are the channels that are being broadcast from the 110 degree satellite on transponder 3. Make a little more sense?
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com

#13 OFFLINE   spartanrob

spartanrob

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 20 April 2002 - 12:20 PM

Thanks for clarifying. I will probably just shut it off at night to be safe.

#14 OFFLINE   DarrellP

DarrellP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 24 April 2002 - 03:33 PM

If you want an instant update, go into the setup menu and do a check switch, this forces a guide download.
<---- I wish she was my girlfriend. :D

Protected By... spam firewall...And...