Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

High Rise refuses DTV

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   chascan66

chascan66

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:47 PM

I just got on a waiting list for senior housing in Denver which is a eleven story bldg. Mgmt has told me I can't install a Dish on their property. I have twenty months left on my commitment to DTV. I called DTV twice last night and they told me that an installer has to come out to verify my situation. That makes sense. One CSR told me I would still have to pay the balance of my commitment @ $20 a month and the other CSR switched me over to another number and was put on hold for fourteen minutes before I hung up. I will say this was the same day when DTV had the DVR problems. I would like to know if anyone has experienced this situation.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,563 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:48 PM

They won't make you pay if your new location doesn't allow DirecTV installation.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,857 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:59 PM

As you are on a waiting list, you may have an option. If you get a place that faces south of Denver and you have exclusive use of it, such as a terrace, you can mount the dish there. The key is exclusive use. FCC OTARD rules cover that.

#4 OFFLINE   cariera

cariera

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:05 PM

If you have the ability to install a dish - patio, balcony, porch - in an area under your exclusive control as the previous poster has said Directv will not waive your commitment - no matter your landlord's take on this.

Now it's a different story if you can only mount the dish on a roof or the building - those areas are not exclusive to you. Your landlord has the right to deny install in those areas and would not be in violation of OTARD rules. In that case Directv will (or they should) waive the commitment.:)

#5 OFFLINE   chascan66

chascan66

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 06:48 PM

So I guess its hello Comcast. Thanks guys.

#6 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 June 2010 - 06:50 PM

So I guess its hello Comcast. Thanks guys.

OTARD rules won't help you at all?

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#7 OFFLINE   chascan66

chascan66

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 06:53 PM

OTARD rules won't help you at all?