Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

3D TV .. what works, what doesn't?

• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:44 PM

If you have a new 3D TV, let us know if it works or not. Add the brand and model number of the TV and any glasses you might own ..

Also, let us know what the model of your Set Top Box is.

Tune to Channel 106 and check it out ..

thanks.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   morgantown

morgantown

Icon

• Registered
  • 902 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:47 PM

If you have a new 3D TV, let us know if it works or not. Add the brand and model number of the TV and any glasses you might own ..

Also, let us know what the model of your Set Top Box is.

Tune to Channel 106 and check it out ..

thanks.

Personally I'm fairly interested in this too.

While FIFA is great I'm thinking MNF will be a real treat for some. I'd at least consider a new TV if at least I was 100% sure there would be no issues with my box, etc.
DTV & NFLST since 97 at least, not looked back yet...

#3 OFFLINE   Sackchamp56

Sackchamp56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:42 PM

I have a Samsung PN50C7000 Plasma with the standard starter kit glasses and an HR23.
I watched the first 3d game of the world cup yesteday and thought it worked quite well. The tv automatically switched to 3d mode when I tuned to 106 and automatically switched out of 3d mode when i changed the channel.

The overall presentation from ESPN 3d was very good. My favorite shots were from a camera in behind about 20 rows of crowd. It felt like we were sitting in the crowd. Some of the longer shots were less impressive.

There were some 3d commercials that were pretty cool too. Gillette razors, sony tvs, and an ESPN 3d promo.

My wife watch for awhile too, shes is less interested in the whole thing but she thought it was pretty impressive as well. She like the shots were the remote controlled wire cam would accidentally get in the shot. LOL

#4 OFFLINE   balboadave

balboadave

Legend

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 09:05 PM

I have the Samsung UN55C8000, their glasses (which fit comfortable over my regular glasses), and a HR-24. They work great together. 3D works even during FF and Slow, but the D* banner doesn't and it's distracting. I gotta say, even watching a sport I don't particularly like, and a movie that's maybe great for kids, but just barely good enough for adults, 3D is the future. I know it won't gain complete acceptance until a reliable glasses-free version is developed, but this ain't so bad. Even Samsung's 2D-3D up-conversion is watchable.

#5 OFFLINE   DanDigital

DanDigital

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 02:58 PM

Watched some of the soccer game yesterday on a Samsung 55-inch C8000 3D TV with an HR-24 DirecTV STB. You have to connect the STB directly to the TV with an HDMI 1.4 cable in order to get the 3D to work. But it looks stunning. The commercials were especially awesome.

I was also impressed that you can pause, rewind, and record the 3D broadcast just like any normal broadcast.

It almost makes DirecTV's completely atrocious customer service worthwhile...

#6 OFFLINE   texas16309

texas16309

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 03:10 PM

I also have a Sammy PN50C7000 that I got a great deal on at Fry's this weekend. I hooked it up to my HR-21 and had to restart the receiver but after that the TV switched automatically as posted above. I too enjoyed the view best from the crowd rather than overhead shots. It really is pretty neat to see the depth of the play field and see it so clearly. I didn't feel the 3D glasses were uncomfortable even over my eye glasses. If I recall the 3D glasses turned off automatically when I tuned away from ESPN 3D... Overall I like the 3D option.

#7 OFFLINE   Bugs Bunny

Bugs Bunny

Mentor

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 06:14 PM

TV: Panasonic VT25 (54 Inch). STB: HR24.
Spectacular picture in 3D. Glasses are uncomfortable, but I can get used to it. Only problem is the battery. Battery on shutter glasses ran out after 3 games.

#8 OFFLINE   Spoffo

Spoffo

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:31 PM

I have a Panny P54VT25 Plasma running off an HR24, using the standard Panny glasses. It all works spectacularly well, and for me, even the glasses are (sorta) comfortable, worn over my regular glasses with no nosepiece. It seems like they designed the sweeping upper frame of the glasses so that it would rest on top of regular glasses and position the lenses in the right place.

Now I'm waiting for some more content besides the soccer. For me the glasses work for sports only if I'm alone. If I'm with a group watching a sporting event, we all want to interact with each other - - talking about the game, trash talking, drinking, whatever - - the glasses totally destroy that social aspect of TV watching.

Try picturing a sports bar with everyone wearing 3D glasses. It's a SNL sketch.

Maybe movies will be different . . . more "serious" watching.

Slimline dish with SWM8 & OTA antenna

Living room - HR24-500 with 1Tb eSATA fed native to Panny P54VT25 Plasma (3D capable). Onkyo 804 receiver, Oppo BluRay, Squeezebox, etc.
Office - HR20-700 with 1Tb eSATA fed Native to 20" Sharp LCD.
Kitchen - HR20-700 (no external disk) fed 720p to Samsung 23" LCD,
Bedroom - HR20-700 with 750 Gb eSATA fed native to 37" LG LCD

Networking: Office is hardwire CAT5 to router. Other 3 receivers are on DECA. All other gear in Living room is on separate MOCA link using old pre-SWM SAT 2 cables

All 100% self-installed

#9 OFFLINE   techop

techop

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:09 AM

Samsung UN55C7000 with the glasses from the starter kit and a HR-21. HDMI through a Yamaha RX-V567 with the firmware update. Works great!

#10 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,719 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:48 AM

TV: Panasonic VT25 (54 Inch). STB: HR24.
Spectacular picture in 3D. Glasses are uncomfortable, but I can get used to it. Only problem is the battery. Battery on shutter glasses ran out after 3 games.

I wondered about that issue when I first tried those on at CES - I'm guessing we'll see rechargeable glasses some time in the near future.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#11 OFFLINE   Rockaway1836

Rockaway1836

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:20 AM

I wondered about that issue when I first tried those on at CES - I'm guessing we'll see rechargeable glasses some time in the near future.

Already out there.

http://shopping.yaho...c-ssg-2200arza/

#12 OFFLINE   fishingham

fishingham

Legend

• Registered
  • 191 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 12:20 PM

Like many on here with the Samsung UN55C8000 unit and their button battery operated glasses which claim 50 hours per battery. HR-24 as noted below.

The DoD demo looks real nice, mix of Avatar, music on stage, outdoor scenes, etc. Recorded my first World Cup game and will look at it soon. The included 2D->3D works quite well actually, at least on something newer with a crisp picture and clear content. As the salesman identified, this conversion lets you feel like you are looking into a 3D scene whereas a truly produced 3D scene will both look in and come out at you.
HR24-500
HR22-100
retired boxes go back to E86
SWM-3
OTA via AM-21
55" Samsung 8000 series LED 3D via HDMI direct(HR24-500)
52" Sharp Aquos LCD via HDMI (HR22-100)

#13 OFFLINE   Rockaway1836

Rockaway1836

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:20 AM

Just for kicks, I checked every TV in the house yesterday. I found that 2 of my Westinghouse TX series TVs can display the split screen on 106. I have no idea which glasses would work. From what I have read the Panasonic and Samsung glasses are not compatible on each others sets. What are the odds of either working on a Westinghouse ?

#14 OFFLINE   Sim-X

Sim-X

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:43 AM

Just for kicks, I checked every TV in the house yesterday. I found that 2 of my Westinghouse TX series TVs can display the split screen on 106. I have no idea which glasses would work. From what I have read the Panasonic and Samsung glasses are not compatible on each others sets. What are the odds of either working on a Westinghouse ?

It's so dumb they can't agree on 1 way of doing things and have to make everyone get all different glasses. Good thing there is a work around! :rolleyes:

http://www.gizmag.co...solution/15015/

Only time I have checked out 3D tv was at best buy and I didn't think it was all that great. It doesn't pop out at you that far and it's kinda nauseating even after watching it for only a few min. I think it has a long ways to go but then again I watched very limited content and for a short period of time. I just don't see it as being very practical having to wear glasses all the time. I have described it to a few friends and I call it neat but can't see spending extra money for it. Maybe it would be a little different at home.

#15 OFFLINE   Rockaway1836

Rockaway1836

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:05 AM

Thanks Sim-X, I had read about the upside down trick too. I guess I could always head down to BB and pick up a pair of either brand. If it works rightside up, I'm good to go. If it works upside down, I can return them for the other brand. Then again if it doesn't work at all I'm S-O-L. Or then again, I can wait it out until they all get their act together.

I'm not expecting things to jump off the screen much. Rather, I expect to see much greater depth of field. I wouldn't look to watch 3D as regular viewing habit. But I think it could be way cool for special movies, shows, and sports.

#16 OFFLINE   taz291819

taz291819

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:06 AM

Your display isn't a 3D display, so no 3D shutter glasses in the world will work.

If you don't have a 3D display, you'll see the split-screen like you're seeing now. If it were a 3D display, the picture would look blurry without glasses on, not split-screen.

#17 OFFLINE   Rockaway1836

Rockaway1836

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:14 AM

Yea, I know neither set is a 3d display. But on My Sony and My Sharp 1080p sets I can't even see the split screen. I was just wondering out loud what would happen if I got the glasses, and possibly an emmiter.

#18 OFFLINE   taz291819

taz291819

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 03:43 PM

Yea, I know neither set is a 3d display. But on My Sony and My Sharp 1080p sets I can't even see the split screen. I was just wondering out loud what would happen if I got the glasses, and possibly an emmiter.

Nothing would happen. What would you plug the emitter into? And without an emitter, the glasses wouldn't even do anything.

#19 OFFLINE   taz291819

taz291819

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 03:44 PM

btw, does anyone know why my HR20-700 can't even record Ch. 106? It says that my STB isn't authorized to record that channel, but I could have sworn the HR20s could at least record it.

#20 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:42 AM

hey guys i was wondering.......
i have a samsung pn50b450 plasma hdtv that supports 3d. However its only in the checkerboard format. i have seen the real d pod adaptor (converts side by side to checkerboard) and the mits adaptor, which is said not to work with sammys, but its a little expensive and i don't want to lay that money down if its not going to work. Does anyone know of a way to get this setup to work? I am wiling to spend some money but not the 1 grand that the real d pod wants. I hope you understand, im not trying to be cheap, but i have some bills to pay hahahaha
Thanks,
Kevin

Protected By... spam firewall...And...