Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DECA w/ 2 SWMs

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dschamis

dschamis

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 06:01 AM

I currently have 4 DVRs and 3 regular receivers. I have these devices connected into two SWMs - 3 into one and 4 into the other via a 4-to-1 splitter hanging off each SWM.

I recently had MRV installed. As part of the installation the installer moved the system to DECA. He connected a device into one of the open ports on one of my splitters that connects the system to my internal ethernet network.

Here is the problem, that took me a few days to stumble on. Basically, the network on a SWM is unable to extend to the other SWM. To be specific, the three receivers on one of the splitters can talk to each other but to the other receivers hanging off the other SWM. Furthermore, the receivers that are on the same SWM as the device that connects the DECA system to the ethernet, are able to get a proper internal IP address and connect out to the internet, but the ones that are on the other SWM are not getting a proper IP address and cannot connect to the internet.

So what I have here is two side-by-side networks created. One is able to get to the internet with proper internal IP addressing, and the other network is not able to.

Any ideas? Is DECA supposed to be able to work over multiple SWMs or would I need another "ethernet injector" (sorry - not sure of the proper term here) for each SWM?

Thanks,

David

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 06:08 AM

The installer was supposed to replace your 2 SWM8's with a SWM16, which contains a DECA bridge. There is not a supported configuration with 2 SWM8's.

#3 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:09 AM

yup call DIRECTV back .. the installer did it wrong.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,486 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 12 June 2010 - 10:28 AM

You don't list your model numbers, and I know everyone is gonna scream 'Don't use the Second port!) but until they get there, if you have a 21/22/23 with the second port, plug your network into the second port. (be sure it's on the non-networked group or move the DECA /network to the other group - or move the DVR to the other splitter).

There also may be some MRV performance issues depending on the grouping and number of streams until it's fixed but I often ran 2 streams with the second port with no problem before DECA.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#5 OFFLINE   fl_dba

fl_dba

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 02:05 PM

The installer was supposed to replace your 2 SWM8's with a SWM16, which contains a DECA bridge. There is not a supported configuration with 2 SWM8's.

When I call to schedule my MRV install next week I will remind the CSR that because I have 5 HR2* boxes that the installer will need to use a SWiM16. If the installer insists (wrongly) that 2 SWiM8's will work just fine is there an official DirecTV doc I can refer him to so I don't have to argue with him?

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,765 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 02:14 PM

When I call to schedule my MRV install next week I will remind the CSR that because I have 5 HR2* boxes that the installer will need to use a SWiM16. If the installer insists (wrongly) that 2 SWiM8's will work just fine is there an official DirecTV doc I can refer him to so I don't have to argue with him?

"IF" he is a trained DirecTV installer, he has access to the document. Anything over eight tuners requires a SWiM-16.
If he doesn't know this, then he hasn't been trained/certified for the connected home networking.
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,978 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 12 June 2010 - 02:17 PM

Just tell him that the DECA network on one SWM will not communicate with that on the other SWM (although I suppose he could use two more DECA adapters to bridge between them).

#8 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 04:02 PM

(although I suppose he could use two more DECA adapters to bridge between them).

That is NOT a supported or authorized (for an installer) configuration. It needs a SWM16 to be done right - no exceptions.

#9 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,978 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 12 June 2010 - 04:16 PM

That is NOT a supported or authorized (for an installer) configuration. It needs a SWM16 to be done right - no exceptions.

I agree and didn't mean to imply that it was authorized, just technically possible (but a really dumb idea).

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,765 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 04:22 PM

I agree and didn't mean to imply that it was authorized, just technically possible (but a really dumb idea).

Hey, those are mine. ;)
A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 June 2010 - 07:15 PM

Hey, those are mine. ;)

IOW, get off his lawn! :lol:

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

Protected By... spam firewall...And...