Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Price Increases

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Link

Link

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 12:38 PM

So with the HD for Life promotion or option, I've noticed other packages are going up $2.00.

Top 200 is now $54.99 from $52.99 and HBO/Showtime is now $24 from $22, then the superstations individually have gone from $1.50 to $2.00 and the package itself has increased to $1.01 to $7.00.

Wasn't it just in March, the changed their receiver pricing? I know I dropped the extra 625 receiver from our bill because it was going to be $17 extra a month and was only $10 before.

This latest price increase is offset by the HD for Free but those who don't have HD would see the increases.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tpwillie

tpwillie

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 01:58 PM

I got hit with another increase. My locals had a $1.00 discount because we are missing ABC. That discount is gone now so our bill went up the normal $2.00 and the additional $1.00 for a total of $3.00 increase., plus the increase earlier this year. In February of 2009 our bill was $63.10, now it is
$68.47, almost an 11% increase in 16 months. Time to start looking at options.

Lou

#3 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,312 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 12 June 2010 - 01:58 PM

Yes, for me with HD it is a $4 increase, though as I posted elsewhere it's a $1.02 increase over 2008-09 billings for the same packages and equipment.

I see the combination of the February 1 restructuring of equipment charges and the June 3 rate restructuring as designed to "encourage" SD customers to move to HD. Partly, it is an indication that TV will soon be a synonym for HD TV much like it became for color TV in the early 1960's.

But personally I think it is also part of Dish's effort to get customers to initiate replacing the old SD DVRs that are the "listed" DVRs in the TiVo case.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#4 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 01:59 PM

My bill went up just over $3. I think the federal tax rate went up on it too.

#5 OFFLINE   tpwillie

tpwillie

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 02:11 PM

If they want to replace the old receivers I think they would be offering deals to get people to buy new ones.

Lou

#6 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 03:05 PM

Yes, for me with HD it is a $4 increase, though as I posted elsewhere it's a $1.02 increase over 2008-09 billings for the same packages and equipment.

I see the combination of the February 1 restructuring of equipment charges and the June 3 rate restructuring as designed to "encourage" SD customers to move to HD. Partly, it is an indication that TV will soon be a synonym for HD TV much like it became for color TV in the early 1960's.

But personally I think it is also part of Dish's effort to get customers to initiate replacing the old SD DVRs that are the "listed" DVRs in the TiVo case.

Yet they are offering $0 upgrade fee on all mpeg2 receivers including 512/522/625's. :confused:

spam firewall