Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Setup Not Working

search

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jstuart99705

jstuart99705

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 04:30 PM

I had an installer come out earlier this week and he spent two hours trying to get my system working before I had to leave for work. The system is currently not working and I haven't heard as to when they will be back. The setup that he used is at the Dish a 8 SWM with one line running to the house, at the 8 SWIM he has a broadband filter. At the point of entry into the house there is a 4 port SWM splitter running into the house, in my living room he used on DECA and the hookup here is a two way (non green) splitter and the in line is from the LNB, port one is running to SAT 1 on my HR20-700 and port 2 is running to the DECA LNB port and the other end is running into SAT 2 on the receiver and the ethernet is connected. The thing is, the DECA shows no power lights and there is a power adapter for the DECA here but it is not hooked up. The other receivers are HR23-600's. He tried a few different ways and always ended up with "No DVR networks found." So currently I have no WHDVR and don't seem to impressed with the installer and was hoping there is an easy fix. I tried removing the splitter and hooking the DECA up to SAT 1 and it pulled power but still no networks after a reset on both Receivers but since this didn't work I put the splitter back and hooked it back up the way the tech had it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 04:35 PM

There isn't enough info here, "but" the HR20-700 should/must have the DECA connected to SAT1.
Since this looks to be the only DVR, then without it being part of the DECA network, the others have nothing to find.
"Normally" there should be another DECA that connects to your router for bridging to your home network and internet.
Get all the DECAs powered up and have green LEDs, then if necessary re-run the network setup and see how each receiver's status is under the system info screen.
Post them here and maybe we can offer some more help.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   jstuart99705

jstuart99705

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 04:49 PM

Thanks for your reply,

I was told that I didn't "sign up" for the internet and the installer originally set it up this way but after a call to another tech removed one DECA. He told me that I don't need a DECA connected to my router for the system to work, that is works on the Power-line principal but using coax.. The HD DVR is running SWM Firmware 2.0.23, and library 2.0.24. The network IP address is 169.254.9.160 with a Subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 and is saying the Network is Connected but internet is not Connected. On a HD Receiver the IP is 169.254.6.69 and is on the same subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 and is connected to the network

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 04:54 PM

Without another DECA to bridge to the router, the network settings are being set by each receiver. With the router connection, the router does this and each receiver seem to find the others faster.
It looks like, if you have green LEDs, that this setup will work, but will take a while before the receivers find the IP of the DVR.

It might find each other if these:
169.254.9.160 & 169.254.6.69 were closer to each other [like .68 & .69], but they still should find each other at some point.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   jstuart99705

jstuart99705

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 05:06 PM

VOS,

Thanks again, I tried changing the IP address but it seems I can't unless I enter a valid gateway and DNS Ip address which I don't have since the HD DVR isn't hooked up to my network. If I take the DECA from my daughters room and hook it up to the splitter and my network (via Power line) would this get it up and running or is there a special DECA needed for net?

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 05:35 PM

That would work "but" it needs power, so without a 18 or 21 volt PI, it won't.
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   jstuart99705

jstuart99705

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 06:39 PM

The installer left an 18v PI so I hooked up the DECA from my daugthers room. I have a splitter and from the splitter port 1 is going to DECA 1 and DECA 1 is connected to SAT port 1 as well as the ethernet port on the HR20-700. Port 2 is connected to the other DECA and my network via the powerline system as well as the 18 PI. Both receiver are now on my home network, (DVR is 192.168.1.117) and the other receiver is .100, both on the same subnet and both are connected to the internet with same gateway and DNS. However recevier in bedroom still cannot find an networked DVR's.

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 06:44 PM

The installer left an 18v PI so I hooked up the DECA from my daugthers room. I have a splitter and from the splitter port 1 is going to DECA 1 and DECA 1 is connected to SAT port 1 as well as the ethernet port on the HR20-700. Port 2 is connected to the other DECA and my network via the powerline system as well as the 18 PI. Both receiver are now on my home network, (DVR is 192.168.1.117) and the other receiver is .100, both on the same subnet and both are connected to the internet with same gateway and DNS. However recevier in bedroom still cannot find an networked DVR's.

Sounds like you're getting close.
Go to the misbehaving receiver and reboot it.
If it doesn't find the DVR, then go into the network tab in the setup menu and reset defaults and then "connect now".
One of these should get you going if the DECA has green LEDs.
If you find yourself on a screen asking what type of network, pick "wired" and continue.
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   jstuart99705

jstuart99705

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 12:05 AM

I reset both and they are connected to the internet and it says networked as well but the H23-600 cannot find the DVR. Could it be the HD DVR?

#10 OFFLINE   jstuart99705

jstuart99705

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 01:39 AM

VOS,

Thanks for your hlep but no luck. I did discover another splitter behind my TV. My setup is thus:

Wall Jack-Two Way Splitter-Port 1 to SWM power-Port 2 runs inside entertainment center
Second Splitter-In port on splitter two is from the out port 2 on 1st splitter. Rest is set up like previously mentioned.

#11 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 13 June 2010 - 05:39 AM

VOS,

The OP mentioned that he is using a non-green label splitter. If everything is actually connected correctly, could that be causing any of his issues?

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#12 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 07:46 AM

VOS,

The OP mentioned that he is using a non-green label splitter. If everything is actually connected correctly, could that be causing any of his issues?

- Merg

If the receiver is getting the settings from the router [DECA], it seems a non green label splitter shouldn't be causing this. It might have reduced performance, but as most have seen, even with this playback has been good.

If the OP hasn't yet done this:
Reboot all of them and see if that helps.
A.K.A VOS

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: search

spam firewall