Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Cable to Dish

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mlcarson

mlcarson

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 05:53 AM

I'm looking at my Comcast bill and see I'm paying $74.35 for their TV service plus $52.95 for HSI and $13.42 in taxes and other BS fees for a total of $140.72 which seems kind of high. I think my HSI will go up to $64 without any bundling so that leaves about $62 for Dish TV service as a break-even point.

I was kind of hoping that Dish would offer a good alternative but maybe not so much on cost....

Basic package
$39.99
-15 promotion
+ 6 dvr option
+ 1.91 tax
=======
$32.90/mo promo package
$48.82/mo non-promo package
$40.86/mo ave over 2 yrs

Looks good so far. Here's something I don't understand though. If I add a VIP922 to the cart, something strange happens... This is at a $200 one-time cost but the tax per month goes from $1.91 to $17.10. This is $364 more in just taxes during the 24 mo term. So much for the 922. I didn't need this but I'm not sure what I get as a HD Duo DVR receiver. I have a TivoHD for cable so have to have a decent HD DVR for a fair comparison.

If I upgrade to the Top200 package, I get:
$48.65/mo promo
$64.51/mo non-promo
$56.58/mo ave over 2 yrs

Top 250
$59.15/mo promo
$74.99/mo non-promo
$67.07/mo ave over 2 yrs

Top 200 + HD plat (probably what I'd want)
Same price as the Top 250

DirectTV
I'd go with their Choice XTRA plus HD XTRA package (HD DVR is thrown in)
$46.98/mo promo
$75.98/mo non-promo
$61.48/mo ave

Actually cheaper than Dish with a similar channel lineup. DirecTV has HD PBS; Dish doesn't. Dish has BBCAmerica HD; DirecTV doesn't. Probably a lot of other channel differences if I really look for instance I don't know if there's a DirecTV equivalent of EPIX1/2, Indieplex and Retroplex. My conclusion is that both Sat providers have better offerings than Cable but not much of a cost difference if any to get the same channels cable offers. I'd just end up with more channels. Not sure what to do now.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 07:26 AM

Choosing a 922 as a primary receiver should only add a $200 up front upgrade charge. If it's adding $17 a month, that means it's been selected and you're picking a DuoDVR receiver as a secondary.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#3 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 885 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 13 June 2010 - 09:09 AM

Where I live cable is a option but really limited, Direct and Dish are available. Most of my friends and business associates use Dish. I think you can manipulate the money pro and con any way one wishes.
Those I know who started with Direct moved to Dish because of the equipment, programming and cost. That said the one area I find Dish weak in is sports, MLB and Season Ticket, but with the advent of RedZone that has been eased, at least for me.
The equipment from Dish is inventive, user friendly and reliable...at least for me. I've had the vip622, 722k and the newest addition the vip922/Sling. All the units have functioned nominally, I've never had to call for troubleshooting or replacement, I have posted here from time to time for info though, but never related to poor performance.
Like I said Cable for me was/is a very unattractive alternative in my area. Limited HD, non fiber optic connectivity, etc. rural living is just that.
I have no affiliation with Dish other than a long time customer.
Happy shopping,
Chas.

#4 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 716 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 09:45 AM

Here is a quick comparison of HD channels: http://www.avsforum....d.php?t=1058081

You might also want to look into the deals that E* has for DSL (if it is available). It might be cheaper than Comcast.
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#5 OFFLINE   russ9

russ9

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 09:46 AM

This is at a $200 one-time cost but the tax per month goes from $1.91 to $17.10. This is $364 more in just taxes during the 24 mo term. So much for the 922. .

The 17.10 is probably a one time tax for the $200, not a monthly tax.
Dishing it up since 4-4-1997
vip722K hooked up to a bunch of stuff. Like a bigger TV.

Soon to be on Dish network, explained by a BBC spokesman

#6 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,293 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 13 June 2010 - 11:21 AM

The 17.10 is probably a one time tax for the $200, not a monthly tax.

I agree. I don't know where mlcarson lives, but I'm pretty sure he'd be looking at $16± in California as the $200 would be subjected to the sales and use tax.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#7 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 11:40 AM

Here is a quick comparison of HD channels: http://www.avsforum....d.php?t=1058081

You might also want to look into the deals that E* has for DSL (if it is available). It might be cheaper than Comcast.

AT&T U-veres Internet is $29.00 is good compaired to Comcast $61.00.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#8 OFFLINE   mlcarson

mlcarson

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 02:58 PM

There is no DSL available in my area (NM). There's no U-verse. My internet choices are Wireless or Comcast and Comcast is the better deal.

The online site is definitely adding $16-$17 per month in taxes if I add the 922 receiver. Just tried it again and there are no other receivers showing up on the bill. Sales tax here is about 7.4% It could be a glitch on the website but it's the only thing I have to go on.

#9 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,293 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 13 June 2010 - 04:44 PM

There is no DSL available in my area (NM). There's no U-verse. My internet choices are Wireless or Comcast and Comcast is the better deal.

The online site is definitely adding $16-$17 per month in taxes if I add the 922 receiver. Just tried it again and there are no other receivers showing up on the bill. Sales tax here is about 7.4% It could be a glitch on the website but it's the only thing I have to go on.

Well, I checked out the web site ordering screens and indeed for California (my zip code at least) the monthly tax line jumps $16.83 where the only change is the increase in the DVR service. And I can't make sense out of the number in any way.

I think its a glitch in the web site, but if I were you, I'd try a live chat making sure you copy and paste the chat into a text file. Go to the support web page and click on the link "New Customer Sales - English (Live Chat)".

You can call, of course.

I don't think monthly you would be correctly charged that tax but I'd be uneasy about having to correct it later.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#10 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 06:25 PM

Having just upgraded to a 922 and having seen a much larger state and local than on my previous bills I checked. I'm in Texas and Dish collected $18.85 for the $200 upgrade plus the $15 install fee. There was another entry for state and local that was the monthly and it increased the appropriate amount for the increased charges resulting from adding as opposed to replacing a receiver and the increase in DVR Service fee associated with the 922.

I haven't seen the web page because I did mine via telephone but the resultant taxes are correct on my bill via CenturyLink.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#11 OFFLINE   Bigg

Bigg

Godfather

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:09 AM

I'm looking at my Comcast bill and see I'm paying $74.35 for their TV service plus $52.95 for HSI and $13.42 in taxes and other BS fees for a total of $140.72 which seems kind of high. I think my HSI will go up to $64 without any bundling so that leaves about $62 for Dish TV service as a break-even point.

I was kind of hoping that Dish would offer a good alternative but maybe not so much on cost....

Basic package
$39.99
-15 promotion
+ 6 dvr option
+ 1.91 tax
=======
$32.90/mo promo package
$48.82/mo non-promo package
$40.86/mo ave over 2 yrs

Looks good so far. Here's something I don't understand though. If I add a VIP922 to the cart, something strange happens... This is at a $200 one-time cost but the tax per month goes from $1.91 to $17.10. This is $364 more in just taxes during the 24 mo term. So much for the 922. I didn't need this but I'm not sure what I get as a HD Duo DVR receiver. I have a TivoHD for cable so have to have a decent HD DVR for a fair comparison.

If I upgrade to the Top200 package, I get:
$48.65/mo promo
$64.51/mo non-promo
$56.58/mo ave over 2 yrs

Top 250
$59.15/mo promo
$74.99/mo non-promo
$67.07/mo ave over 2 yrs

Top 200 + HD plat (probably what I'd want)
Same price as the Top 250

DirectTV
I'd go with their Choice XTRA plus HD XTRA package (HD DVR is thrown in)
$46.98/mo promo
$75.98/mo non-promo
$61.48/mo ave

Actually cheaper than Dish with a similar channel lineup. DirecTV has HD PBS; Dish doesn't. Dish has BBCAmerica HD; DirecTV doesn't. Probably a lot of other channel differences if I really look for instance I don't know if there's a DirecTV equivalent of EPIX1/2, Indieplex and Retroplex. My conclusion is that both Sat providers have better offerings than Cable but not much of a cost difference if any to get the same channels cable offers. I'd just end up with more channels. Not sure what to do now.

I can't make sense of why your HSI is so expensive (higher speed tier?), but dumping cable TV will jack the price of HSI $10-$15/mo, so keep that in mind. Dish still undercuts Comcast by a decent amount, especially if you account for the amortized cost of that $400 for the TiVo service.

You can get PBS HD OTA if you're within 70 miles or so of your local broadcast tower. You need a $30 module to add to the Dish receiver to pick that up.

Dish also has DIY HD and Nat Geo Wild HD that DirecTV doesn't.

#12 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:45 AM

You can get PBS HD OTA if you're within 70 miles or so of your local broadcast tower. You need a $30 module to add to the Dish receiver to pick that up.

Unless you're in the Philadelphia area. *sigh* I hate VHF-Lo.

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#13 OFFLINE   JWKessler

JWKessler

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:53 AM

... if you live in a relatively flat area.

I'm 20 miles from the Binghamton, NY transmitters, but behind some hills. So far I have been unable to receive anything from a decent roof top UHF antenna. I'm trying a few more things before I give up, including getting the highest gain antenna I could find.

High band VHF works well for me here however.

#14 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 11:02 AM

... if you live in a relatively flat area.

I'm 20 miles from the Binghamton, NY transmitters, but behind some hills ...

I have a similar situation. I am 12 miles from the two Washington, DC, towers and situated in a valley with a hill between me and the towers. I get only two network channels OTA out of the four that are transmitting from those towers.

#15 OFFLINE   mlcarson

mlcarson

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 10:35 PM

I don't think people in large cities realize how difficult it is in rural areas to pick up HD OTA. I'm in Las Cruces, NM and am considered in the El Paso, TX DMA. If you look at a map, you'll find that there's mountains between Las Cruces and El Paso -- TV signals have a difficult time overcoming this. The NM DMA is 200+ miles to the north. There is a separate PBS station in Las Cruces run by NMSU but I'm not even sure its signal is available because of the terrain. I know an indoor antenna could pick up nothing.

When I lived in MI, trees were the problem. Even a good outdoor antenna would have trouble picking up things more than 50 miles away. My parents live in northern MI where they have trees and hills for a huge DMA (Traverse City, MI). The TV stations had to put up additional towers after the digital transition to even pretend they could cover the area.

My HSI under Comcast is high because I'm paying for the 8MB CHSI bundle addon for $10 extra. 6MB was the default. Again, this is more of a rural area -- we don't get 16,50, or 100mbps options.

For TV viewing, I think 95% of my viewing time is probably on the local networks, Fox News, and the Syfi channel. So, this could be done with the basic T120 package. I just hate giving up stations that I'm currently getting because if I wanted to watch something on one, it would no longer be available. Going down to the T120 package is definitely the way to save money though. There just seems to be so little worth watching on network tv now-a-days that the extra channels look more and more appealing.

And by the way, I didn't add taxes to the DirecTV prices whereas I did on the Dish network prices so Dish probably has a bigger advantage price-wise than I originally thought. I'm currently leaning toward just getting the T120 package and look for online options for anything else.

#16 OFFLINE   Bigg

Bigg

Godfather

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 11:26 AM

I don't think people in large cities realize how difficult it is in rural areas to pick up HD OTA. I'm in Las Cruces, NM and am considered in the El Paso, TX DMA. If you look at a map, you'll find that there's mountains between Las Cruces and El Paso -- TV signals have a difficult time overcoming this. The NM DMA is 200+ miles to the north. There is a separate PBS station in Las Cruces run by NMSU but I'm not even sure its signal is available because of the terrain. I know an indoor antenna could pick up nothing.

When I lived in MI, trees were the problem. Even a good outdoor antenna would have trouble picking up things more than 50 miles away. My parents live in northern MI where they have trees and hills for a huge DMA (Traverse City, MI). The TV stations had to put up additional towers after the digital transition to even pretend they could cover the area.

My HSI under Comcast is high because I'm paying for the 8MB CHSI bundle addon for $10 extra. 6MB was the default. Again, this is more of a rural area -- we don't get 16,50, or 100mbps options.

For TV viewing, I think 95% of my viewing time is probably on the local networks, Fox News, and the Syfi channel. So, this could be done with the basic T120 package. I just hate giving up stations that I'm currently getting because if I wanted to watch something on one, it would no longer be available. Going down to the T120 package is definitely the way to save money though. There just seems to be so little worth watching on network tv now-a-days that the extra channels look more and more appealing.

And by the way, I didn't add taxes to the DirecTV prices whereas I did on the Dish network prices so Dish probably has a bigger advantage price-wise than I originally thought. I'm currently leaning toward just getting the T120 package and look for online options for anything else.

You don't know about OTA until you've tried an outdoor-mounted DB8 or VX91 from antennasdirect. Those things are beasts. HD PBS's are coming to DISH over the course of the next two years or so, depending on DMA size.

You said you mostly watch local networks, but then you said you want more channels? If most of your watching is the local networks, it's probably a better deal to get them OTA, or get basic cable (which avoids the $15 debundling fee, so it's almost free). If you do want the additional cable channels, AT120 is a terrific deal.

If you can live without an HD-DVR for PBS, you could also do basic cable for PBS, and DISH for the rest, or if PBS isn't a deal-breaker, you can try a vx91 or DB8 with a preamp and high-grade cable and see where it gets you.

I hear ya on the cable internet, I'm stuck at 6mbps too, waiting for the 12mbps upgrade. They are rolling a lot of trucks in the area, so I'm crossing my fingers. :D

#17 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 11:49 AM

And yet even a DB8 would likely not pull in ABC6 in Philly.

#18 OFFLINE   mlcarson

mlcarson

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:54 PM

I had two 91XG's on a custom fiberglass mount when I was in MI. I wouldn't even consider doing something like that again with the wind that occurs here. I'd get Basic cable to cover the additional expense of the HSI -- I think the price is almost the same.

I'd love the additional cable channels but in reality I rarely watch anything on them. The AT120 is probably what I'll go with since it's a significant money saver.

#19 OFFLINE   JWKessler

JWKessler

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:42 PM

You don't know about OTA until you've tried an outdoor-mounted DB8 or VX91 from antennasdirect. Those things are beasts. HD PBS's are coming to DISH over the course of the next two years or so, depending on DMA size.

If you can live without an HD-DVR for PBS, you could also do basic cable for PBS, and DISH for the rest, or if PBS isn't a deal-breaker, you can try a vx91 or DB8 with a preamp and high-grade cable and see where it gets you.

I just spent the day with a VX91 so I can give a first hand report. I live 20 miles from Binghamton, NY and get two high band VHF stations reliably using a large dedicated high band VHF antenna. I can even pull in some Scranton, PA high band VHF stations (90 miles away but with less hill blockage) if I swing the antenna around, though not as reliably.

I had hoped the UHF only VX91 would work for the UHF stations in Binghamton. I spent the day cutting trees, moving the antenna to a clear location and raising it as high as I could. All of that didn't even get me a wiggle on the signal meter on my Panasonic TV. It was as if there was no antenna connected. Ditto for Scranton and Syracuse (also about 90 miles away). I don't think a pre amp would help since there seems to be nothing to amplify.

So I now have about $100 in new antenna and RG6 sitting in the basement.

My goal was to get a PBS station in HD so I could drop my basic cable. Since I can't record the stations I get from cable I tend to not watch them, instead recording the ugly SD version from Dish. That is a waste of $20/month.

#20 OFFLINE   aclinml

aclinml

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:13 AM

I'm looking at my Comcast bill and see I'm paying $74.35 for their TV service plus $52.95 for HSI and $13.42 in taxes and other BS fees for a total of $140.72 which seems kind of high. Not sure what to do now.

Don't know if this is available in all Comcast locations, but I have the 'lite' version of high speed internet and pay $25 a month. I think it has about a 1.5 MBPs speed, which plenty fast enough for me....By the way, they don't advertise this feature or rate on any marketing offer...

spam firewall