Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Cable to Dish

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Bigg

Bigg

Godfather

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:13 AM

I just spent the day with a VX91 so I can give a first hand report. I live 20 miles from Binghamton, NY and get two high band VHF stations reliably using a large dedicated high band VHF antenna. I can even pull in some Scranton, PA high band VHF stations (90 miles away but with less hill blockage) if I swing the antenna around, though not as reliably.

I had hoped the UHF only VX91 would work for the UHF stations in Binghamton. I spent the day cutting trees, moving the antenna to a clear location and raising it as high as I could. All of that didn't even get me a wiggle on the signal meter on my Panasonic TV. It was as if there was no antenna connected. Ditto for Scranton and Syracuse (also about 90 miles away). I don't think a pre amp would help since there seems to be nothing to amplify.

So I now have about $100 in new antenna and RG6 sitting in the basement.

My goal was to get a PBS station in HD so I could drop my basic cable. Since I can't record the stations I get from cable I tend to not watch them, instead recording the ugly SD version from Dish. That is a waste of $20/month.

Did you order from Antennasdirect.com? They allow returns.

For the Comcast HSI lite, the price is again only for subscribers of other services, and it is 1.5mbps, NOT 1.5MBps, which is what their normal tier is. 1.5mbps is too slow for many users, as it won't allow any decent sized file downloads to happen in a reasonable amount of time, and it won't allow streaming of HD video.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   JackDW001

JackDW001

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:00 PM

I recently purchased a place outside of Raleigh, NC. that I stay at during the week. After considering Cable, Dish and DTV, I tried an OTA just to see what happens. I find that I can get about 20 stations with a stationary antenna and up to 30 if I put a rotor in it. Needless to say, I am keeping my monthly fees in my pocket and just using the OTA.

Of course that is for now. Once my wife comes to visit and/or my daughter moves in (she is considering going to school in the area), that my change and I will be back to the same question: Cable vs Dish vs DTV.

I have TW at the other place so I took advantage of that and got RoadRunner Mobile for internet with one of their hot spots for a router. So far, I am impressed. This way, I take my internet with me when I travel and requires not wires running to the house .

spam firewall