Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dishes Funny Math

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Dave

Dave

Icon

• Registered
  • 864 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 01:00 PM

First off let me say that I do have Dish. I am happy with Dish. Now the current pricing structure versus old.
Dish is now saying that you get free locals. Problem being it is $ 54.99 for AT 200 and $ 64.99 for AT 250. You can not opt out of locals under the new pricing structure system.
Under the old pricing system you could opt out of locals.$ 47.99 for AT 200,
$57.99 for AT 250. With the 2.00 price increase AT200$ 49.99 and AT250 $59.99.
This was without locals which you had an option not to include.
So you are still paying 5.00 per month for locals.
In my opinion this equals a 7.00 monthly increase in fees to any of us older customers if we want to upgrade from the sat AT 200 to 250 package.
Because if you remember you did not have to take locals under the old system. You can not opt out of locals now.
They say the locals are free. But if I add or change to the 250 package my bill has actually increased $15.00 not $10.00 at the present time.
Under the old system free locals would have meant no extra $ 5.00 charge on my bill for the locals.
So this is another case of doing math for the new customer and not the old.
I can not get free locals. If I have AT 200 and add the locals it will cost me an extra 5.99 per month according to my account when I check it out.
As I said at the beginning I do have Dish and I like my Dish service. Just the funny math they come out with sometimes for the regular old customers.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 13 June 2010 - 01:13 PM

Yes, and I expect that the size of future rate increases will have a lot to do with broadcast network locals and the networks charging higher fees to Dish. Dish is facing substantial costs to deliver all local HD channels in all DMAs over the next couple of years.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#3 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,037 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 13 June 2010 - 04:22 PM

Honestly its not funny math at all, just sleazy advertising/marketing...if they would just say "locals included at no extra charge" that would be more accurate, but no company would ever come out and admit they rolled the local cost into their price increase which is what usually happens...

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 03:27 AM

I can not get free locals.

You can't get free ANYTHING. Assuming you're an adult, this is a lesson you should have learned a LONG time ago. NOTHING is free. Marketing constantly uses the word "free", because people respond to it, but all that ever really means is "the cost of this item has been rolled into the total price, instead of broken out as a separate line item."

The sooner you come to terms with the fact that there is nothing free in life, the easier it becomes to see through any company's marketing (which will ALWAYS talk about that company's advantages and hide or ignore any and all disadvantages) and see the truth.

No reason to get angry and shook up over it. Of *course* there is going to be a charge for locals. It costs a lot of money to deliver those locals, and Dish isn't a charity - it's a business designed to make a profit. Dish's customers will pay for 100% of Dish's expenses plus a profit margin, just like the customers of any other successful company. Expecting anything else is unrealistic.

#5 OFFLINE   olds403

olds403

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 05:32 AM

I think the point he was trying to make is that he no longer has the option of opting out of locals if he wanted to save some money.

#6 OFFLINE   Bigg

Bigg

Godfather

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:04 AM

You can't get free ANYTHING. Assuming you're an adult, this is a lesson you should have learned a LONG time ago. NOTHING is free. Marketing constantly uses the word "free", because people respond to it, but all that ever really means is "the cost of this item has been rolled into the total price, instead of broken out as a separate line item."

The sooner you come to terms with the fact that there is nothing free in life, the easier it becomes to see through any company's marketing (which will ALWAYS talk about that company's advantages and hide or ignore any and all disadvantages) and see the truth.

No reason to get angry and shook up over it. Of *course* there is going to be a charge for locals. It costs a lot of money to deliver those locals, and Dish isn't a charity - it's a business designed to make a profit. Dish's customers will pay for 100% of Dish's expenses plus a profit margin, just like the customers of any other successful company. Expecting anything else is unrealistic.

Well said.

If you think about it, it costs a lot more per sub to deliver locals. They have 200+ markets of locals, 100+ with HD, whereas they only have two sets of nationals, each with HD and SD versions. Bird ain't free.

#7 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:01 AM

I think the point he was trying to make is that he no longer has the option of opting out of locals if he wanted to save some money.

I get *that* issue, but that's not the issue he was making.

#8 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:33 AM

First people complain that they have to pay extra for locals, now they complain that they don't have to pay extra. I would suspect that the number of subscribers that don't have locals is very small, so to make it simpler, everyone gets them.... plus they make a bit more money in the process ;)
DirecTV HR34 - 3 HR25's
Panny 42PX77U - Slingbox Pro
tgif: let's RV

#9 OFFLINE   tpwillie

tpwillie

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:56 AM

We had the locals included in our bill but received a $1.00 credit since we don't get ABC. We still don't have ABC but the credit went away. Another "Hidden" fee increase.

Lou

#10 OFFLINE   olds403

olds403

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 03:40 PM

I get *that* issue, but that's not the issue he was making.

Okay, that wasn't the only point but was part of it. I agree with him that it really isn't free, they are providing them and charging for them whether you want them or not.

#11 OFFLINE   knot

knot

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:44 PM

First people complain that they have to pay extra for locals, now they complain that they don't have to pay extra. I would suspect that the number of subscribers that don't have locals is very small, so to make it simpler, everyone gets them.... plus they make a bit more money in the process ;)

Is it true that as long as I do not change my subscription, I do not have to receive locals? I have AT200 @ 47.99/mo. (next bill will be 49.99). Is this correct?

I never intend to subscribe to locals. Currently I can receive all networks from 3 DMA's with my tower and antenna setup.

#12 OFFLINE   Dave

Dave

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 864 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:13 AM

As long as you do not upgrade for more channels you can continue with the AT 200 for 49.99. But if you ever upgrade to the AT 250 you have to take the locals no ifs ands or buts. The old way of not taking locals is gone in the wind. There should be a statement in your online account telling you this. That your current package will no longer be, if you ever change it.

#13 OFFLINE   Bigg

Bigg

Godfather

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 11:18 AM

I suppose it is sort of irritating that you have to pay for something that most people can get for free with a $30 module and a cable connected to their OTA antenna, but DISH is still a lot cheaper than anything else out there. At least with paying for the locals you can record all four networks at once. :D

spam firewall