Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Trying out FiOSTV

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Artorture

Artorture

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 06:34 PM

I called dish today and told them I had discontinue service. The CSR that was helping me in the retentions department told me they will ship out packages to ship back my receivers. I am going to pay close attention to the first 30 days of FiOSTV. She told me I could hold onto the equipment for a certain number of day's, but I forgot how long I could before I will be charged. Anybody know?

Thanks in advance

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 06:41 PM

I recently had to replace my VIP722.

I think they said I had 10 days to return the old 722 with the dead hard drive.
Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

#3 OFFLINE   Bigg

Bigg

Godfather

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:08 AM

I called dish today and told them I had discontinue service. The CSR that was helping me in the retentions department told me they will ship out packages to ship back my receivers. I am going to pay close attention to the first 30 days of FiOSTV. She told me I could hold onto the equipment for a certain number of day's, but I forgot how long I could before I will be charged. Anybody know?

Thanks in advance

I wish I had Fios. Un-recompressed HD is great, you won't want anything less back.

#4 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:06 AM

Call DISH back and put your account on hold it costs I believe $5/mo. if you still want to cancel after 30 days you can.

#5 OFFLINE   ZBoomer

ZBoomer

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 04:52 PM

You have at least 30, maybe more days to return a receiver before they charge you. I cut off a VIP622 long ago, they took at least 3-weeks to even send me the box, and I took another 3 weeks to send it back. No charge.

No guarantees, but that's what happened to me recently.
Hopper 2000, 2x Joey 1.0 Dish Receivers, "America's Everything pack" with PlatHD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma Display on Hopper (me), Samsung 40" LCD on Joey #1 (wife), Dell ST2410 HD Monitor on Joey #2 (office.)
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K AVR Receiver, PS3, Klipsch Reference-Series Speakers

#6 OFFLINE   Justin85

Justin85

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 03:25 AM

You are very lucky, I wish I lived in a FIOS area. I live in an AT&T area, and have had both DirecTV and U-Verse, DirecTV beats U-Verse, but I KNOW FIOS is King! Sweet, sweet fiber to the home, and uncompressed HD, and basically every channel you could want in HD.

#7 OFFLINE   Bigg

Bigg

Godfather

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 06:10 AM

You are very lucky, I wish I lived in a FIOS area. I live in an AT&T area, and have had both DirecTV and U-Verse, DirecTV beats U-Verse, but I KNOW FIOS is King! Sweet, sweet fiber to the home, and uncompressed HD, and basically every channel you could want in HD.

That's un re-compressed. But yes, I share your feelings. I'm even worse off, 4200 feet from the crossbox. :(

#8 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 12:28 PM

Thanks in advance

If you return your boxes & don't like FIOS and go back to Dish, you'll have buy new boxes. I did that with U-verse which is garbage. Never again!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#9 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 01:07 PM

That's un re-compressed. ...(

:confused:
Actually, not compressed but uncompressed works. (Like unedited or not edited. :) )

http://www.webopedia...ssed_video.html

Edited by SaltiDawg, 18 June 2010 - 01:22 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,525 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 01:25 PM

:confused:
Actually, not compressed but uncompressed works. (Like unedited or not edited. :) )

http://www.webopedia...ssed_video.html

No un-recompressed is correct and descriptive in this case, meaning not compressed more than the original is already compressed. For those that may not be aware, the originating (and highest quality) feeds from the networks are MPEG2 compressed. Verizon adds no further compression to that, unlike Dish and DirecTV that recompress that signal to MPEG-4 (and the old "HD-Lite").
/steve

#11 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 01:48 PM

No un-recompressed is correct and descriptive in this case, meaning not compressed more than the original is already compressed. For those that may not be aware, the originating (and highest quality) feeds from the networks are MPEG2 compressed. Verizon adds no further compression to that, unlike Dish and DirecTV that recompress that signal to MPEG-4 (and the old "HD-Lite").

Fios does not compress the signal that they receive for rebroadcast. To make up a word and call it un-recompression is utter nonsense, but I'm done with it. :rolleyes:

#12 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 02:21 PM

Fios does not compress the signal that they receive for rebroadcast. To make up a word and call it un-recompression is utter nonsense, but I'm done with it. :rolleyes:

If the original signal is compressed via mpeg2 for transmission when does it get uncompressed in order for Dish or whoever to re-compress it via mpeg4? Just askin' because I always thought re-whatever implied whatever had been undone and then redone.:P

All I know is I wish my eyes were good enough to see the difference. Then maybe I would be upset about what others refer to as HD Lite. Since they're not that good I'm happy. May be HD Lite but it's still a whole lot better than the B&W through rabbit ears with aluminum foil on a 19" thing like we had 50 plus years ago.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#13 OFFLINE   Bigg

Bigg

Godfather

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 11:58 AM

Yup. Uncompressed HD is 1.5gbps. CBS sent uncompressed HD from the Superbowl to NYC to get compressed there by CBS/ WCBS, which has the master control for the east coast for CBS, and in this case the whole country. It never left CBS studios in NYC uncompressed, however, no one has the bandwidth or the desire to do so. Even Blu-Ray is compressed, using MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 depending on the disc, at up to 70mbps.

#14 OFFLINE   juan ellitinez

juan ellitinez

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 01:10 PM

I wish I had Fios. Un-recompressed HD is great, you won't want anything less back.

ehh fios uses MPEG-2 no such thing as uncompressed..they just use much less compression

#15 OFFLINE   Justin85

Justin85

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 05:46 PM

Juan, they pass the signal from the broadcaster, that they receive in mpeg-2, directly down their fiber, with no additional compression.

See here:
http://www.multichan...ed_HDTV_Ads.php

#16 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 19 June 2010 - 06:52 PM

Juan, they pass the signal from the broadcaster, that they receive in mpeg-2, directly down their fiber, with no additional compression.

See here:
http://www.multichan...ed_HDTV_Ads.php

Thats the gist of it, there is no additional compression, but EVERY provider is given you a compressed signal, just some less so than others...

#17 OFFLINE   Bigg

Bigg

Godfather

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 08:00 PM

ehh fios uses MPEG-2 no such thing as uncompressed..they just use much less compression

Would you people bother to read what's being said? The point is, and I will say it again, Fios doesn't re-compress the video. They just pass on the MPEG-2 stream directly to the customer.

EDIT: All the other providers re-compress the signal, Comcast from 19mbps MPEG-2 to 12mbps MPEG-2, while Dish and DirecTV use MPEG-4.

#18 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 967 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:41 AM

You will like fios picture quality ,but i recommend getting a tivo premiere HD box!For the best of both worlds on your tivo box you can get netflix,you tube,rhapsody,the frame channel and hundreds of internet videos plus music choice videos, blockbuster,amazon video on demand,and coming soon pandora!:D P.S. I got the XL tivo premiere which has THX, plus 150 hours of HD recording! or 1,363 hours of standard recording. Combine this with the quality verizon fios signal and you'll be in heaven!!

Edited by celticpride, 22 June 2010 - 10:49 AM.

#19 OFFLINE   Grydlok

Grydlok

Icon

• Registered
  • 749 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:02 AM

Would you people bother to read what's being said? The point is, and I will say it again, Fios doesn't re-compress the video. They just pass on the MPEG-2 stream directly to the customer.

EDIT: All the other providers re-compress the signal, Comcast from 19mbps MPEG-2 to 12mbps MPEG-2, while Dish and DirecTV use MPEG-4.

Verizon remuxes the Mpeg-4 stream back to Mpeg-2 to use in their system.
The HBO/Cinamax stream is MPEG-4
Hypocrites with fake rumors need not apply.

#20 OFFLINE   Ambavi

Ambavi

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:05 AM

If you return your boxes & don't like FIOS and go back to Dish, you'll have buy new boxes. I did that with U-verse which is garbage. Never again!

What is the diff. between FIOS and AT&T U-verse? I am thinking about changing the service. The U-verse is available in my area. I have some tall trees in back and not getting good signal during summer season. Currently, I have Dish Network service.

spam firewall