Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New XBOX 360 coming

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   naijai

naijai

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 07:02 PM

Well as always thanks to early leaks and the internet an ad for the new Xbox 360 model as well as Kinect (project natal)

http://www.engadget....-by-italian-ad/

http://www.engadget....-gets-official/

http://xbox360.conso...o-di-natal.html

Edited by naijai, 14 June 2010 - 07:07 AM.

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
Winston Churchill

DIRECTV employee since May 2003.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views DO NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   B Newt

B Newt

Icon

• Registered
  • 675 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 07:16 PM

Will it play blue ray disk? If not I would go with Sony PS3.

HR20-100 s/w version 0x087f
au9 dish NO multiswitch or diplexers.
Internet connection via WIFI.

#3 OFFLINE   naijai

naijai

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 07:25 PM

Already have a 360 & PS3 this could be a replacement for my existing 360 now i just have to find a way to convince the boss :D
Winston Churchill

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views DO NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 02:52 AM

That ship sailed a LONG time ago...

#5 OFFLINE   ncxcstud

ncxcstud

Icon

• Registered
  • 591 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 05:40 AM

Just for a clarification...

It is a new MODEL of the XBOX360 (like the PS3 Slim compared to the original PS3). Which I know is basically what the OP said, but the comment about whether it'll play Bluray discs shows that others might not have quite 'gotten' it...

It'll be smaller and more compact...

But, not that much smaller because it needs to be able to connect to the hard drives that have been out for 5 years.

My initial reaction to the name "Kinect" (formerly Project Natal) is not as 'harsh' as it was when I first heard the name Wii (formerly Project Revolution). Whether that is good or bad depends on how well Kinect does.
40" Samsung LCD - LN40B640 (living room)
42" Samsung DLP - HLS4266W
DirecTV HR20-700 Receiver
DirecTV H24-100 Receiver
DirecTV HR24-100 Receiver
Pastor of All Saints Lutheran Church in Mason, MI
XBOX Live, Battle.net, and PSN gamertags - ncxcstud

#6 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:13 AM

I disagree with that...

I just sold my PS3... as I originally purchased it... 90% of the reason was because it would play Blu-Ray.

I never found a "must-play" game that would only be on the PS3...
And as a blu-ray player, it no longer is the king of the game. Maybe by historical numbers, but given the history... it was a good deal.

PS3 = $300, when Blu-Ray players were $300... you got more for your dollar.

Now... I just purchased a dedicated blu-ray player, that does everything the PS3 did for $125. It is a smaller profile (and flat), it is much quieter when it is running... and it just does it job better.

Now if you are tight on space... and are of the fan boat that one machine to do everything... I can understand it. But today, I just don't see the necessessity of the gaming system to play the movie disks.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#7 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:15 AM

I have a release day XBOX360... and had it repaird for the 3 rings a ways back.

But I have been looking for a second one, for the office.. this newer "slim" one... may be the ticket...and I am glad I didn't pull the trigger.

May just wait for when Black Ops comes out this fall, and pick it up.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#8 OFFLINE   ncxcstud

ncxcstud

Icon

• Registered
  • 591 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:30 AM

I disagree with that...

I just sold my PS3... as I originally purchased it... 90% of the reason was because it would play Blu-Ray.

I never found a "must-play" game that would only be on the PS3...
And as a blu-ray player, it no longer is the king of the game. Maybe by historical numbers, but given the history... it was a good deal.

PS3 = $300, when Blu-Ray players were $300... you got more for your dollar.

Now... I just purchased a dedicated blu-ray player, that does everything the PS3 did for $125. It is a smaller profile (and flat), it is much quieter when it is running... and it just does it job better.

Now if you are tight on space... and are of the fan boat that one machine to do everything... I can understand it. But today, I just don't see the necessessity of the gaming system to play the movie disks.

You never played the Uncharted series games? A part from getting a machine that played blu-rays, Uncharted and Uncharted 2 were the reason I bought a PS3. Those two games are awesome!

MLB 10: The Show is pretty darn good too.

But, other than those, I play all games on my XBOX 360 and watch movies on my PS3 from Netflix ;).

If they (Sony) can somehow had a software upgrade to allow PS2 emulation, I'll be extremely happy and will finally be able to play some 'classic' PS2 games like Ico and Shadow of the Colossus
DirecTV H24-100 Receiver

#9 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:40 AM

You never played the Uncharted series games? A part from getting a machine that played blu-rays, Uncharted and Uncharted 2 were the reason I bought a PS3. Those two games are awesome!

MLB 10: The Show is pretty darn good too.

But, other than those, I play all games on my XBOX 360 and watch movies on my PS3 from Netflix ;).

If they (Sony) can somehow had a software upgrade to allow PS2 emulation, I'll be extremely happy and will finally be able to play some 'classic' PS2 games like Ico and Shadow of the Colossus

I had the PS3 that allowed PS2 emulation... but we just continued to use the slim-ps2 on the non-HD TV's for those games.

Nah, never got into the Uncharted series... and even though I love sports games on the gaming system... I have never got comfortable with any of the baseball ones.... The Intellivision baseball was probably the last one I played on a regular basis :)
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#10 OFFLINE   ncxcstud

ncxcstud

Icon

• Registered
  • 591 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 12:15 PM

Kinect seems pretty impressive to me. Especially when you just say "XBOX" and tell it to do something, love that ;).

One step closer to saying, "XBOX, make me a sandwich." "XBOX, get me a beer."
DirecTV H24-100 Receiver

#11 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,744 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 14 June 2010 - 12:27 PM

Blu-ray players are getting cheap enough that unless you're tight on space, you'd be smarter to get a stand-alone unit. Less wear and tear on your gaming unit.

I'd be interested in knowing the price/specs of the new XBox360. If the specs and price are decent, I might be interested in it due to Kinect. Can't say I'm interested in anything else the 360 offers...

~Alan

#12 OFFLINE   ncxcstud

ncxcstud

Icon

• Registered
  • 591 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 12:36 PM

They're showing "Kinect Adventures" at the Microsoft E3 press conference. Needless to say, I'm impressed...especially with the photos it takes during your time playing, just seems like fun.
DirecTV H24-100 Receiver

#13 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 01:03 PM

INow... I just purchased a dedicated blu-ray player, that does everything the PS3 did for $125. It is a smaller profile (and flat), it is much quieter when it is running... and it just does it job better.

And it can be controlled by IR without a 3rd party device.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#14 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,744 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 01:10 PM

And it can be controlled by IR without a 3rd party device.

I'm always laughing at this... I'm fixing to buy a Stand-Alone, and I'm disappointed that it doesn't have a Bluetooth option.

XBox360 Slim - $299. It may be a while before I can get it, but I want one! :)

~Alan

#15 OFFLINE   naijai

naijai

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 01:18 PM

XBOX 360 Slim

Shipping today for same price $299
250GB HDD
Built in 802.11N
Available in stores by next week

http://www.engadget....3-2010-keynote/

Good thing i still have a warranty on my 360 :D with best buy and can replace it when this one goes bad

Also announced
ESPN3 coming to the XBOX 360 free for xbox live gold members
Games announced again
Halo: Reach, Fable III, Crackdown 2, Gears of War 2 (2011), Call of Duty Black Ops, Metal Gear Solid Rising

With Kinect can control your XBOX 360 live sign in and also voice controlled on the Kinect Dashboard which looks different from the existing dashboard but almost similar layout
Also voice Chat & party chat now turns into "Video Kinect"; Video chat without a headset

Edited by naijai, 14 June 2010 - 01:31 PM.

Winston Churchill

#16 OFFLINE   ncxcstud

ncxcstud

Icon

• Registered
  • 591 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 01:28 PM

XBOX 360 Slim

Shipping today for same price $299
250GB HDD
Built in 802.11N
Available in stores by next week

http://www.engadget....3-2010-keynote/

Good thing i still have a warranty on my 360 :D with best buy and can replace it when this one goes bad

Also announced
ESPN coming to the 360 free for xbox live gold members
Games announced again
Halo: Reach, Fable III, Crackdown 2, Gears of War 3 (2011), Call of Duty Black Ops, Metal Gear Solid Rising

With Kinect can control your XBOX 360 live sign in and also voice controlled on the Kinect Dashboard which looks different from the existing dashboard but almost similar layout

fixed it for ya naijai ;)

I was still impressed with what Kinect can do...of course, I'm a little disapointed (and worried) that no price was mentioned this morning...
DirecTV H24-100 Receiver

#17 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,744 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 01:46 PM

I was still impressed with what Kinect can do...of course, I'm a little disapointed (and worried) that no price was mentioned this morning...

GameStop is apparently saying $149... though I could have SWORN I saw a $199 price tag in an article earlier (apparently that was a rumored price).

Personally, I think $149 is a fairly reasonable price... whereas I'm not as comfortable paying the $199 tag.

~Alan

#18 OFFLINE   ncxcstud

ncxcstud

Icon

• Registered
  • 591 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 01:51 PM

GameStop is apparently saying $149... though I could have SWORN I saw a $199 price tag in an article earlier (apparently that was a rumored price).

Personally, I think $149 is a fairly reasonable price... whereas I'm not as comfortable paying the $199 tag.

~Alan

that 200 dollar price tag was some european retailer that didn't know what it was, they just put it up there to get people to preorder I think.

I have a friend who works for Gamestop corporate, and even he doesn't know what the price will be...though I thinks it'll be 129.99 with a packaged game...or 99 with just the Kinect camera...
DirecTV H24-100 Receiver

#19 OFFLINE   naijai

naijai

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 03:01 PM

Engadget just posted pictures of the unboxed new 360 and seems that are still shipping them with only composite cables :nono2: . Her's to hoping they didn't change the connection for the output cable since i have my own component cabling

Posted Image
Winston Churchill

#20 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 03:27 PM

You posted that picture AND said that? The original AV connector is RIGHT THERE above the HDMI port... :nono2:

And now look what else it has: a dedicated optical out port. No more silly optical dongle for HDMI users with optical audio in!

Edit: Also, that AUX jack is the unified Natal/Kinect connector. With a standard 360 you need a USB plug and a power adapter, but that AUX jack will supply both to the camera over 1 cable.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

spam firewall