Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH Installer got Me Cancelled

syfy

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   KenLake

KenLake

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:38 PM

I just moved to a new house. For first time I used Dish Mover as opposed to taking down my dishes and installing them myself. When installer arrived, he walked around property and told me I could not get signal due to trees in my neighborhood. He called Dish, handed me his phone and the person on phone cancelled my account immediately. She told me I had 30 days to return my receivers or be charged $400. She said that if I moved to a new location, I could resubscribe. Since I just bought this house, I am not planning on moving for many years.

I have had Dish and lived in Pacific NW for more than ten years. I have installed my dishes four times. I have had some difficult installs with having to mount dishes on roof and find a place where I could get signal between trees. A couple times, the dish for HD had to be installed twenty feet or more from the dish that was aimed at 110.

My question is, how skilled are these intstallers? How accurate is the instrument they use to determine whether or not I could get a signal. I just bought a two story house with a fairly high roof. Would the installer have taken it into consideration whether or not mounting dish on top of house would be able to get a signal and see over the trees?

Since I went with Dish Mover option, I do not have dishes to check this out myself, what would my options be? I have four hard drives full of hi-def movies, unless I use Dish, they are worthless. I really hate to be done with Dish. We are using Comcast now, and their dvr interface is terrible, the picture quality is significantly worse than Dish with very frequent pixelation.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:49 PM

First, you should have asked for a second opinion. Having said that, if you have big trees blocking your view, you may not have LOS.

I suggest starting with http://www.dishpointer.com

#3 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,552 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 15 June 2010 - 12:34 AM

While it might be tough to get line of sight, you'd have to be awfully close to a solid line of very tall trees south of your two story house not to be able to see something in Western Washington, or maybe your in a deep ravine? You're after 110/119/129 as I'm sure you know.

One problem I've had with installers is they refuse to install on the roof except at the eaves. When I switched to HD, the installers showed up with a 1000.2, I watched them put it up, discover that it couldn't see all three satellites, watched them reinstall my 500 and leave because the only dish in the truck to do an install in what is known as Brooktrails Redwood Village was a 1000.2 and, gee, we are in the midst of redwoods. So ultimately, after a brief phone battle, another guy came out with another 500 for a wing dish for 129 and put it in the wrong spot (lost signal every time the wind blew). I moved it and everything is fine.

So I'd follow BattleZone's suggestion to see what appears when you do http://www.dishpointer.com and if that doesn't look really awful, I'd try Dish again.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#4 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:21 AM

I have four hard drives full of hi-def movies, unless I use Dish, they are worthless.

If your Dish service was canceled I am pretty sure you'll never be able to watch what is on those drives even if you restart the service. (At least that is what I read in one of these forums)
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...