Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD for Free - Lowest Possible Charges

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SDWC

SDWC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:48 PM

Hi all,

I've been trying to understand the HD for free promotion and I want to make sure I'm being charged the lowest possible amount for the programming, support, and receivers. I've been reading here about various customers who have dropped a package and then added it back at a lower cost, and customers who had their HD cost reduced in half, and others who saw no change, and my head is spinning a bit :)

I have 2 active recievers, a 508 designated as primary and a 722k. I had no HD service until November of 2009. My monthly fees are as follows:

AT 250 w/locals - $62.99
HBO - $15.99
HD & Platinum - $10.00
Service Plan - $6.00
Solo Receiver - $7.00
DVR Service - $6.00

Total pretax $107.98

Does this look correct to those with more experienced eyes than myself? Or, is there anything I can do to reduce the price and maintain the same status?

Thanks to all in advance.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,384 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:57 PM

Assuming you're getting Free HD for Life, Platinum becomes a $10 optional subscription which you could cancel if you don't watch the channels in the package. Otherwise, you're going to see a $2 increase on the AT250 in your first bill issued after June 3.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#3 OFFLINE   SDWC

SDWC

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 02:01 PM

Thanks for your prompt reply. I do wish to keep the Platinum at this time. I assume then that everything else on my statement looks to be correct, per your comments.

Thanks very much.

#4 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 03:20 PM

Also, your 722 is the primary, otherwise your receiver fee would be $17
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#5 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:37 PM

Assuming you're getting Free HD for Life, Platinum becomes a $10 optional subscription which you could cancel if you don't watch the channels in the package. Otherwise, you're going to see a $2 increase on the AT250 in your first bill issued after June 3.

If someone chose not to get HD free for life would their 250 subscription also go up $2?

Outside of this forum there was no communication from E* about the $2 price increase.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#6 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,384 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:08 PM

You should go to your account on line and check the programming page. Mine automatically switched to look like this:
Posted Image

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#7 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:58 PM

Okay I don't get this. My options look like this (see attached)

So I am guessing that I can get the HD 250 Free instead of paying $10 for that and all I have to do is sign up for 24 month extension? I already have paperless billing and autopay.

Is that correct?

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled-1.jpg

Dish HD w/ 1 Hopper and 3 Joey, PS3, Sony HN1000 Receiver and Sony Bravia HX800 3D TV

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,584 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:04 PM

Okay I don't get this. My options look like this (see attached)

So I am guessing that I can get the HD 250 Free instead of paying $10 for that and all I have to do is sign up for 24 month extension? I already have paperless billing and autopay.

Is that correct?

Correct.

It is a shame you didn't do the drop/add HD trick before June 3rd to get on "HD & Platinum HD" ... that would have taken you to "Free" with no commitment.

#9 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:05 PM

Correct.

#10 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:06 PM

Thanks, I don't care about the 24 months, I don't plan on going anywhere.
Dish HD w/ 1 Hopper and 3 Joey, PS3, Sony HN1000 Receiver and Sony Bravia HX800 3D TV

#11 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:16 PM

If someone chose not to get HD free for life would their 250 subscription also go up $2?

Outside of this forum there was no communication from E* about the $2 price increase.

No matter whether you're HD or SD, Top 200 and Top 250 went up $2.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#12 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,532 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:41 PM

While I don't like the idea that you would have to pay $99 up-front to get free HD for life IF you don't want to do paperless or AutoPay...

If the $10 fee is $120 per year... then you'd still save $21 that first year by paying up front and then save beyond that, essentially forever... so I suppose it is hard to argue against converting if you're in the group that qualifies.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#13 OFFLINE   finniganps

finniganps

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:16 AM

So after 24 months on HD for life is it fair to assume if you drop paperless and autopay they will increase your bill $10/mo. if you have an HD package below Platinum?

#14 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,584 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:53 AM

So after 24 months on HD for life is it fair to assume if you drop paperless and autopay they will increase your bill $10/mo. if you have an HD package below Platinum?

Guessing the price list 24 months from now?

Per the offer, you will have "HD Free" as long as paperless/autopay is maintained - for the life of the account. Drop paperless/autopay or cancel the account and you will have to requalify for "HD Free" again.

Having Platinum is irrelevant to the current HD Free offer. If you qualified for HD Free via the paperless/autopay/commitment route part of the commitment is to maintain paperless/autopay. Maintaining Platinum is not required and does not excuse anyone from the terms of the offer. Customers who qualified for HD Free by paying the $99 fee or having "HD & Platinum HD" active on June 3rd didn't make that commitment and don't need to maintain paperless/autopay.

#15 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:02 AM

Doesn't matter how long, if you drop the autopay anytime, whether the commitment's done or not, you lose the discount.
DISH 625 dvr

#16 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 05:07 PM

Now that I have "HD Free For Life"I wonder what would happen if I dropped from 250 to 200? Now that I'm "committed" do I have to keep the same programming level or just pay the $5 downgrade fee and still get the all the HD channels that are in 200.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#17 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 347 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 06:10 PM

Just pay the $5 downgrade fee.

spam firewall