Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Having my first ever service call...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   colt45allstar

colt45allstar

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 03:49 PM

My service has been somewhat spotty of late, losing signal at random times... until recently it wasn't for an extended period and for some reason playing around with the SWM cord on the multi switch and unplugging it and plugging it back in would sometimes help the signal come back.

As of yesterday morning however, I've had one long extended outage. There was a minor storm yesterday morning.. but certainly nothing major and the weather's been fine since then. My signal shows no signs of coming back though.

I called DirecTv last night, got a very helpful customer service rep who surprisingly didn't make me go through all the standard troubleshooting procedures after I told him I had already tried everything multiple times.. he accepted that and set up my service call.

It's scheduled for Saturday between noon and 4, not as early as I would like.. but not nearly as late as it could have been, I can certainly live with that.

I've read a couple of horror stories involving Service calls (techs showing up late, sometimes not even at all... and sometimes not being fully committed to fixing things) I am sure this is the exception rather than the rule, so hopefully my call will be a seamless process.

I am slightly worried that I will be told there's nothing they can do, I do have tree branches that are possibly causing a loss in signal and line of sight issues. In addition some of the symptoms I've been experiencing with my system are again signal issues... initially random and short lived, this time looking like it's simply not going to go away.

Additionally when doing a red button reset what would normally happen (when the issues were short lived) is that it would go through the setup process and then get stuck at "searching for signal" when it was supposed to be building the guide that's when sometimes the unplugging and plugging back the SWM cord on the multi switch would allow the signal to be found... the guide building screen would come up start and zero and go up from there.

Ever since this latest service outage things are slightly different. The guide building screen comes up instead of a searching for signal message and then it simply gets stuck at 0 percent and does nothing.

When hitting menu from any of my three receivers the only things that come up are check signal strength and repeat satellite setup. When checking signal strength predictably it's all 0's... there's also a strange pause when going from satellite to satellite.. almost like it temporarily locks up and it takes seemingly forever for the 0's to show up... something it normally doesn't do when checking signal strength.

Any ideas of what might be causing this? I realize I'm long winded.... don't know when to stop typing (sorry about that!) and that I have a tech coming out anyway.. doesn't hurt to know possibilities before hand though and I know some of you are quite knowledgeable.

As a final note, even when it was working.. it would always fail the alignment test, something I thought was odd. Also my signals on DirecTv 10 and 12 have never been good. I'm talking mostly 50's and 60's on 10 and an awful mostly 40's and 50's (with even a couple 30's mixed in) on 12. The other satellites when working have had strong signals.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:47 PM

It sounds like a bad LNB, but if you don't have clear LOS, and can't move the dish somewhere that does, then the tech may refuse to do anything, as he faces a chargeback if you have blocked signals and he closes your job.

#3 OFFLINE   Fabuloso

Fabuloso

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 11:52 PM

what kind of setup you got?

#4 OFFLINE   netraa

netraa

Godfather

• Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 06:33 AM

It sounds like a bad LNB, but if you don't have clear LOS, and can't move the dish somewhere that does, then the tech may refuse to do anything, as he faces a chargeback if you have blocked signals and he closes your job.

As BattleZone implied, you basically have until Saturday to get the branches cleared.

Good luck!

#5 OFFLINE   colt45allstar

colt45allstar

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:26 AM

To answer the question about my setup I have a slimline, I believe it to be a DirecTV 5 LNB.

In terms of receivers I have one HD DVR in the the living room (HR22-100) that is also connected to an am21 and an ota antenna.

Also have two standard definition DVR's, both R22-100 models.

In terms of line of sight issues, I'm by no means an expert... but it would seem all that would need to be done to avoid the tree branches would be to move the dish over slightly from where it's currently located at.

Also and and again this may be the fact that I'm far from an expert talking, but it just seems weird that it worked most of the time (minus occasional random signal issues from time to time) and that minus directv 10 and 12, I got strong signals... if line of sight was truly a major issue.

spam firewall