Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New roof: fewer Dishes?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   EricM1

EricM1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 04:39 PM

We're going to put a new roof on the house (Seattle area), and I'm trying to figure out what to do about the two satellite dishes that are up there right now.

Here's the current equipment:
VIP 622 with two coax cables to DP34 switch
Old dual LNB dish (Dish 500?) for 110 and 119
Newer single LNB dish (for 129) (about 26 inch diameter, upgraded size for better signal strength)

Can I replace my two dishes with a single Dish 1000.2? If I do, will the 129 signal be degraded, as before?

Or can I just install a DPPlus Triple LNBF from a Dish 1000.2 on my existing 26" dish?

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,719 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 15 June 2010 - 04:48 PM

If you weren't satisfied with 129 signal before, there's no reason to think anything has changed. Use the same setup you had before the roof was replaced.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#3 OFFLINE   EricM1

EricM1

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 04:56 PM

I have to move the older dish, since it's up so high that I can't get to it without risking life and limb. If I leave things as they are, it will be relocated next to the newer dish. I'm just looking for a way to clean up the installation.

Perhaps I can just put a triple bracket on the 26" dish and put all three LNBs on it.

#4 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:11 PM

Your current setup has a DPP Twin and a Dual (not Dual and Single). The larger dish for 129 was for the weak signal from the E*5 satellite previously in that slot. The new Ciel-II satellite now at 129 provides a strong signal to the Pacific NW, so you can now use a Dish 1000.2.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,382 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:16 PM

The big single was popular for 129W when E5 had gone wobbly. Now that Ciel2 has replaced it, a Dish 1000.2 should work fine.

The big dish is designed for a single focus so it isn't really suitable for a multi-slot LNB assembly.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   EricM1

EricM1

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:45 PM

Thanks, Bobabird.

I guess I could have been more clear. The smaller, older dish has two discrete LNBs that were replaced when the newer bigger dish (with one LNB) was installed for HDTV.

#7 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,346 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:59 PM

Perhaps I can just put a triple bracket on the 26" dish and put all three LNBs on it.

If it is a single focus dish you may be doing more harm than good. The 1000.2 dish is designed to focus each satellite at a different LNB ... most single dishes are designed to focus a single satellite beam.

I guess I could have been more clear. The smaller, older dish has two discrete LNBs that were replaced when the newer bigger dish (with one LNB) was installed for HDTV.

Hopefully all three LNBs are in the system ... 119 and 110 from the smaller dish and 129 from the big dish. By "replaced" I hope you mean old LNBs (probably legacy) were replaced by a newer LNB (DISHPro or DISHPro Plus) on the old dish.

#8 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:14 PM

The big single was popular for 129W when E5 had gone wobbly. Now that Ciel2 has replaced it, a Dish 1000.2 should work fine.

The big dish is designed for a single focus so it isn't really suitable for a multi-slot LNB assembly.

Concur 100%. The correct solution is to install a Dish 1000.2 and eliminate the old dishes, the DP34 switch, and to run single lines to each receiver, using DPP Separators on the dual tuners.

#9 OFFLINE   EricM1

EricM1

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 09:25 PM

Thanks for the advice, folks. I've scheduled a Dish service call to install a Dish 1000.2 in place of the 129 dish. The roofers will have to take down the old Dish 500, since I put it so high up that the Dish tech's won't touch it!

spam firewall