Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How accurate is Dishpointer.com (IE line of sight checker)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   colt45allstar

colt45allstar

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:14 PM

This is somewhat related to my previous thread (seeing how one of the potential issues prior to my service call I was worried about was dealing with line of sight.)

According to Dishpointer.com and using the google earth app at the bottom of the page, I should in fact have clear line of sight. (at least from somewhere at my house, perhaps not necessarily where it's at now) Is this normally pretty accurate?

Thanks in advance. I eagerly await my tech coming on Saturday and hope to have my issues resolved at that point. I truly do appreciate all the help and advice you all have provided.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 03:36 PM

It's quite accurate, but remember a few things:

- you need to position the pointer where your dish actually is (or will go)

- you need to pull down the individual orbital locations for all sats you intend to pick up from that location, not just the sat the dish is actually aimed at (i.e., the center one).

- you need to give 3-5 degrees on either side of the extreme outside sats to ensure clearance and to make sure you don't have tree branches blowing in the way.

#3 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 04:15 PM

Right. The site is great to determine your alignment parameters for the dish type being used. But, it even better to determine LOS for each individual statellite.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#4 OFFLINE   colt45allstar

colt45allstar

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 04:50 PM

Thanks for the help, unfortunately I can't go to a close enough view to get a clear image and that makes it somewhat difficult to adjust the pointer to where the dish would actually go.

On the dishpointer website, it only allows me to zoom in twice before saying "We are sorry, but we don't have imagery at this zoom level for this region. Try zooming out for a broader look." When I click on the google maps link and the 3d app comes up it allows me to zoom in a lot closer, but it's so blurry when I get close, that I can't even tell if it's actually my house that shows up (that could be in large part because my monitor isn't very good and doesn't work well except in the lowest of resolutions.)

I think I'm going to try to clear as many branches as possible, just in case these next couple of days.

If you, or anyone else for that matter want to use google streetview the address is 2718 E 11th Joplin, Mo 64801 that would give you at least a general idea of just how many trees are around. Also this link 'may work' as a direct picture to the location.. not sure. (tried it on my computer and it worked anyway, it came up as 2716 instead of 18.. but it is in fact the correct house and the picture is facing the south.

http://maps.google.c...2,,1,-9.51&pw=2

I am also now checking individual satellites.... So far so good on that front.

Edited by colt45allstar, 16 June 2010 - 05:00 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:39 PM

Yes, unfortunately, since Google doesn't have closer/higher-res pics of your area, DishPointer is somewhat less helpful.

#6 OFFLINE   colt45allstar

colt45allstar

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 06:07 PM

Here are some pictures I just took myself from both the roof and ground level.

I took the time to label one "current location" as that particular shot is from right next to the dish's current location.

Hopefully the situation doesn't appear to be as dire, as what I fear it might be.

http://s242.photobuc...tar/tree cover/

Edited by colt45allstar, 17 June 2010 - 06:30 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,467 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Al.

Posted 19 June 2010 - 06:40 AM

"RAIN FORESTS" are difficult to get line of sight in.:D

Site does look difficult but would need to walk off all options to be certain.
Some gaps present so possible.
Joplin , new DMA, uses KA-MPEG4 for locals. 99/103 possibly off new D12 and thus only needs LOS in small arc 99 to 103. ( assumming no spanish or international program requests.)

Some tree trimming would also likely help.

Good Luck
Doctor j

MFH-2 System : 2 Major Viewing Areas. 2 x HR20-700's & H21 in each area via E2/SWM-8. Hardwire gigabit switch to 30 mb/sec internet.

#8 OFFLINE   colt45allstar

colt45allstar

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 05:59 PM

Well just to update the tech came by earlier, very helpful and cool guy.

He said that the trees were perhaps going to be a problem, but he replaced a bunch of things... various cables, the multiswitch and finally the lnb (replaced my 5 lnb with a 3 lnb.) He also did a slight realignment.

I am now back in business! The signals are even a lot stronger than what they were prior to the problems starting.

The ones that were primarily in the upper 80's and low 90's on signal are now mid to upper 90's. Even saw my first 100 on The "SWM" setting when doing a signal test.

Directv 10 and 12, which were both incredibly low before, are still not great (likely due to the tree branches) but are leaps and bounds better than before. I was getting mostly 40's and 50's on one, with a random 30 or two. The other one was mostly 50's and 60's, with a a random 40 or two.

They are now between mid 70's to low 80's on all transponders. I'm quite pleased overall.

Thanks for all the help!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...