Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Windstream and Dish Bundle! What is a SlingLink?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   glennh73

glennh73

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 04:39 PM

Hi everyone, havent been here since Jan 29 of 2006.

Today i got my Dish hooked up as i went threw Windstream and got the bundle deal of 6M internet, Unlimted phone nationwide, and Dish Top 200.

All for about $106 a month locked in for life.

Now my questions. I got the Vip222K and wonder if that is a good receiver? The last one i had years ago was the 811.

The Dish is according to sheet 1000.2 so what sats do pick up? I use to get 61.5 for Voom( remember them) and 2 other sats but not sure if one was 119.

Has Dish put anymore Sats in the air and is the HD still HDLIte?

Also instead of pluging phone cord into receiver they used a D-Link Desktop switch and a SlingLink Turbo through my DSL on my computer. Now first off is that safe as i live in a Duplex an what else can i do with that setup? Dont know much about networking etc? Any chance i can somehow watch stuff threw my computer?

And really what is all that stuff? A SlingLink Turbo?

Great to be back and away from Comcast. They raised our bill to $80 just for cable and threw Windstream i get much more for $106.

Sorry for all the questions.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Bigg

Bigg

Godfather

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 03:48 PM

Hi everyone, havent been here since Jan 29 of 2006.

Today i got my Dish hooked up as i went threw Windstream and got the bundle deal of 6M internet, Unlimted phone nationwide, and Dish Top 200.

All for about $106 a month locked in for life.

Now my questions. I got the Vip222K and wonder if that is a good receiver? The last one i had years ago was the 811.

The Dish is according to sheet 1000.2 so what sats do pick up? I use to get 61.5 for Voom( remember them) and 2 other sats but not sure if one was 119.

Has Dish put anymore Sats in the air and is the HD still HDLIte?

Also instead of pluging phone cord into receiver they used a D-Link Desktop switch and a SlingLink Turbo through my DSL on my computer. Now first off is that safe as i live in a Duplex an what else can i do with that setup? Dont know much about networking etc? Any chance i can somehow watch stuff threw my computer?

And really what is all that stuff? A SlingLink Turbo?

Great to be back and away from Comcast. They raised our bill to $80 just for cable and threw Windstream i get much more for $106.

Sorry for all the questions.

222K is OK, but it's not a DVR.

1000.2 is Western Arc, that's 110/119 (same as older Dish 500's) plus 129.

The Eastern Arc has Rainbow 1 (ex VOOM) in it for locals at 61.5, as well as Echostar satellites at 61.5, 72.7 and 77.

DISH has a bunch of new birds, and they moved around some of their existing ones.

DISH still uses HD-Lite.

Those are some version of homeplug adapters. I haven't kept up with the versions, and which are compatible with which other ones. Practically speaking, the chance of someone happening to have a compatible homeplug adapter and getting on your network is very, very slim. If you have a separate power meter, it would be even harder, but not impossible. If you are worried about it, go into the settings, and check to see if you can put a password into both of the units somehow. It is much more likely, however, that your DISH box would experience problems from your neighbor's hair dryer or toaster than your network get compromised, and even the chances of that are pretty low if the thing is working well now.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...