Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Side Black Pillars

vod

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lilxskull

lilxskull

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 04:39 PM

I did a search but I cant seem to find someone who can fix this. I have black pillars on the left and right sometimes during a show for SD channels. It is kinda annoying I just got this HD setup today. The receiver is the HR22 and I have a Sony 55EX500 Tv. I can only fix the problem by changing my tv format from full to wide zoom. But when I change channel I have to change it back to full sometimes because the screen will fit it. Kinda annoying to do.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 04:42 PM

If it is occurring on a HD Channel, but is broadcasting an SD program...

Typically this is because the source of the programming, is adding the black bars in on their side of the equation. So when DIRECTV gets it, it already is a formmatted 16:9 picture.

So the only way to "correct" it, is to do what you are doing with the zoom on your TV
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 04:53 PM

This is called window-boxing. It comes with the territory and is a legacy of all those 4:3 televisions out there, and the programming made for it.

In addition to zoom, you might be able to stretch the picture to cover up the black bars (try your TV's aspect ratio control to do this), but then everybody looks fat. I hate that look and put up with the black bars instead.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#4 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,360 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:50 PM

The black bars, or "pillars" as you call them, are not "added" at all. When a 4:3 AR image centers on a 16:9 AR display, the image fails to fill the sides of the screen, thus the black bars are merely the absence of picture information. No big deal.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#5 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 08:05 PM

Wow, can't believe no one has mentioned this yet. Hit the format button on the remote and you can set it to crop or stretch. Since those only affect SD programming, you can leave it like that all the time without having to change it back when you tune to HD programming. Does the same thing as you're doing now, you just don't have to undo it when watching HD.

#6 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,912 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 June 2010 - 08:06 PM

Wow, can't believe no one has mentioned this yet. Hit the format button on the remote and you can set it to crop or stretch. Since those only affect SD programming, you can leave it like that all the time without having to change it back when you tune to HD programming. Does the same thing as you're doing now, you just don't have to undo it when watching HD.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vod

Protected By... spam firewall...And...