Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Any news of RB-2A?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,978 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:54 AM

With all the news of D12 and the amelioration of D10 settling down, I was wondering when we should expect to see something of D12's other half, RB-2A (BSS)? I doubt if it was added to the spaceframe as pure ballast and hope that we will see it being used in some meaningful way before long.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,978 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:10 PM

With all the news of D12 and the amelioration of D10 settling down, I was wondering when we should expect to see something of D12's other half, RB-2A (BSS)? I doubt if it was added to the spaceframe as pure ballast and hope that we will see it being used in some meaningful way before long.

Bump!

BSS, where art thou?

#3 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,978 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:23 AM

It's been a while, but there has still been no news of RB-2A. I'm sure that Directv didn't add the package to D12 for ballast, so what's been going on?

#4 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:40 AM

I would guess that they are working on suitable reception equipment on the customer end. Remember that none of the LNBs we have are compatible with the technology. There is probably a dish sat on a rooftop somewhere with an LNB none of use have seen before that picks up all 5 orbitals and the BSS band as well that is going through extensive testing.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#5 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:48 AM

The whole RB-2A payload may have been purely for proof of concept of the technology. In light of the conflicts with Ciel and Spectrum for BSS rights to transmit at the 103 slot RB-2A may never actually deliver services to the subscriber. Meanwhile DirecTV has uncontested BSS rights at 99 and I believe one other orbital slot as well.

That next bird coming from Loral (D14) may have something in store with BSS at one of the uncontested slots. The fact that they have to make use of those rights within a limited time frame or forfeit them makes that even more likely.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#6 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:58 PM

Anybody want to explain what is RB-2A to us dummies?
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#7 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 01:03 PM

Anybody want to explain what is RB-2A to us dummies?

It's another form of signal that can co-exist along with the signals we are already getting from an orbital slot. Put simply, more bandwidth to broadcast in. Even simpler, RB-2A is the symbol for more HD PPV. :lol:
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#8 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,424 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Al.

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:29 AM

It's been about 6 months since D-12 went live.
RB-2A has been a no show as far as I can tell.

Things "slow" in general on anything NEW going on in Directv world.

Just curious if anyone has any hard information on plans or uses for the
RB-2A BSS (reverse band) section of D-12??

Doctor j

MFH-2 System : 2 Major Viewing Areas. 2 x HR20-700's & H21 in each area via E2/SWM-8. Hardwire gigabit switch to 30 mb/sec internet.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...