Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Multi receivers on one TV

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cdmcpeeters

cdmcpeeters

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 03:51 PM

I have a R15-300, and I am looking at buying a R15-500. I own a TV that has two antenna ports. What I want to do is use one of each to have three recording options at one time. Can this be done? Thank in advance

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 08:13 PM

Many people have more than one DirecTV receiver/DVR hooked to a single TV. As long as your TV has enough inputs, or you're willing to buy a switch, you're fine.

Posted Image

Edited by BattleZone, 17 June 2010 - 08:25 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 17 June 2010 - 08:17 PM

Also consider if your TV has composite video (yellow connector) or s-video (small round 5 pin connector), that you can connect the R15 via those methods, and you would normally get a higher quality picture than by using the antenna connection.

To your basic question, as BattleZone noted, you can put as many receivers/DVRs as you want on a TV, as long as you have inputs to support them.

#4 OFFLINE   leo81948

leo81948

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:15 PM

Many people have more than one DirecTV receiver/DVR hooked to a single TV. As long as your TV has enough inputs, or you're willing to buy a switch, you're fine.

Posted Image

I currently have 2 r15s connected to a Sony which is dying. I am going to buy a 32" LCD TV (probably Samsung or Sony). I need to know exactly what inputs I need on the LCD. Do I need 2 component video inputs, or do I need 2 composite video inputs? I can't see how everything is currently connected to my Sony because it's tight fit in a cabinet. I also have a VCR connected to the same TV. The only thing I might want to connect in the future would be a DVD player. FWIT, everything is going through a surge protector. From what I've read on this thread, it would be better to have the correct inputs rather than the antenna input. If the TVs I'm looking at don't have what I need, what is this switch you mentioned? Thanks.

Lynne

#5 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,824 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:57 PM

I currently have 2 r15s connected to a Sony which is dying. I am going to buy a 32" LCD TV (probably Samsung or Sony). I need to know exactly what inputs I need on the LCD. Do I need 2 component video inputs, or do I need 2 composite video inputs? I can't see how everything is currently connected to my Sony because it's tight fit in a cabinet. I also have a VCR connected to the same TV. The only thing I might want to connect in the future would be a DVD player. FWIT, everything is going through a surge protector. From what I've read on this thread, it would be better to have the correct inputs rather than the antenna input. If the TVs I'm looking at don't have what I need, what is this switch you mentioned? Thanks.

Lynne

Back of the R15 receiver.
OOps. Number 10 is 2 Composite Outlets.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#6 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,824 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:00 PM

If you are getting an LCD don't you want to go to HD at that time ?

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#7 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:01 PM

R15 has composite outputs or S-Video. You can not use Component inputs with an R15.

#8 OFFLINE   leo81948

leo81948

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 07:56 PM

So I need 2 composite inputs on my new LCD???? As far as S-video, only one TV a friend of mine ran across online mentioned having it. I'm buying a TV tomorrow so any help would be appreciated.

Jimmie 57, I'm not going HD on the receivers at this time since I will be moving within the next year. At that time I will be upgrading to HD receivers and will also be buying a large TV to put replace the TV I'm buying tomorrow. The new TV tomorrow will then go to the bedroom (after I move). I'm waiting to upgrade at the move because I think DTV won't charge me then for the upgrade.

i was hoping not to have to purchase a new TV right now, but my Sony didn't cooperate with me.

Thanks for the PDF. But what I think I need to know is what does my new TV need for me to connect to my current R15s? I just don't want to go thru the hassle of buying the wrong TV that won't allow me to have both R15s connected like they are now to the same TV.

Lynne

#9 OFFLINE   doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop

Godfather

• Registered
  • 466 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:38 PM

The best thing you'll hope to find is something with 2 S-Video inputs. S-Video is the best output of the R15. Unfortunately, S-Video is an interim and tweener technology, neither supported enough to ubiquitous, nor good enough to be a must-have for current users. Most likely you'll have to settle for two composite inputs, or one composite and an S. Also keep in mind that in many cases, SD video may actually look worse on an HDTV than an older TV.

5 - HR22-100 4 via regular ethernet, 1 via DECA, 2 HR21-700 networked via regular ethernet, HR21-100 networked via DECA, H25-500
R15-500 Inactive, H20-600 (ECO 2.0) inactive,D11 (Humax LD2060) inactive
Slimline 5 w/ SWM8 parallel w/ SWM16 w/DECA

#10 OFFLINE   doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop

Godfather

• Registered
  • 466 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:46 PM

I jumped over to newegg.com to look at some of the 32 inch units, as I feared, none of the TV's have an S Video input, let alone 2. A couple have 2 composite inputs, but most have only one. a 37 inch Toshiba has an S and a 2 composite inputs, this one http://www.newegg.co...N82E16889253201

5 - HR22-100 4 via regular ethernet, 1 via DECA, 2 HR21-700 networked via regular ethernet, HR21-100 networked via DECA, H25-500
R15-500 Inactive, H20-600 (ECO 2.0) inactive,D11 (Humax LD2060) inactive
Slimline 5 w/ SWM8 parallel w/ SWM16 w/DECA

#11 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,824 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:17 AM

So I need 2 composite inputs on my new LCD???? As far as S-video, only one TV a friend of mine ran across online mentioned having it. I'm buying a TV tomorrow so any help would be appreciated.

Jimmie 57, I'm not going HD on the receivers at this time since I will be moving within the next year. At that time I will be upgrading to HD receivers and will also be buying a large TV to put replace the TV I'm buying tomorrow. The new TV tomorrow will then go to the bedroom (after I move). I'm waiting to upgrade at the move because I think DTV won't charge me then for the upgrade.

i was hoping not to have to purchase a new TV right now, but my Sony didn't cooperate with me.

Thanks for the PDF. But what I think I need to know is what does my new TV need for me to connect to my current R15s? I just don't want to go thru the hassle of buying the wrong TV that won't allow me to have both R15s connected like they are now to the same TV.

Lynne

I just bought 2 Sony TVs ( CRT ) on Craigslist for $50 each. One is a Wega Trinitron 27" 5 years old and the other the same except it is a 24".
The pictures are excellent. These are being used as second TVs.

Good luck.

Edited by jimmie57, 20 July 2010 - 11:21 AM.

#12 OFFLINE   leo81948

leo81948

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:51 PM

Thanks everyone for your help. I got a Samsung LCD LN32540 at Sam's. It has 2 composite inputs. It's working very, very well and the picture and color are awesome. Both receivers are also working as before. If it weren't for your help, I might have bought the wrong TV.

Lynne

Protected By... spam firewall...And...