Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV Satellite Discussion D-14 @99W

• Please log in to reply
2937 replies to this topic

#426 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

"How will playing cards help?"

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,263 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:39 PM

As Puerto Rico is currently under the umbrella of DIRECTV LA, I suspect it has very much to do with the bigger picture of how they intend to use the BSS capabilities.

Please elucidate us all, then. I'm sure we'd all LOVE to hear your wisdom. Then in about 3 or 4 years when BSS satellites are in operation, we can compare your understanding now with the reality later.

We're all waiting for your knowledge and wisdom, so do please explain.

Perhaps DIRECTV simply knows that statehood for PR is imminent. ;)

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#427 OFFLINE   levibluewa

levibluewa

Icon

• Registered
  • 615 posts
  • LocationWA, OR, CA

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:14 PM

As Puerto Rico is currently under the umbrella of DIRECTV LA, I suspect it has very much to do with the bigger picture of how they intend to use the BSS capabilities.

How do viewers in Puerto Rico get Los Angeles distant nets?

#428 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,331 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:16 PM

How do viewers in Puerto Rico get Los Angeles distant nets?

DirecTV LA...As is Latin America not Los Angeles. ;)
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#429 OFFLINE   catman19jun00

catman19jun00

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 01:32 PM

I dont know if the people in these forums like direct tv because this is my firs time to this site but, with no disrespect to anyone but d tv is crap. I left comcast thinking the grass was greener but damn, no on demand, the channel guide is a nightmare, then i was supposed to have hd on my 50" on livingroom tv but they said i didnt order it, and the man that hooked it up didnt say anything when he saw the hdmi cable hanging out of the tv either, come on man what the ______? Then when i called about it they said it was too late id have to pay for the upgrade. Also no pause on the standard boxes, i could keep on all day with this. I dont know about anyone else, i had some problems with comcast, but not this many. I will be using d tv long enough to be able to go back to comcast and it will be worth paying to get out of this 2 years of missery. Sorry if i made anyone mad with what i said but i hope i help people make up there minds. Oh, the reason i found out about the hd if your wondering is they did the same thing to my friend and his mother. :mad::(

#430 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 01:48 PM

Why didnt you just refuse the install, and reschedule it with HD? Sounds like you didnt do your homework when you ordered.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#431 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

CUTTING EDGE

• Super Moderators
  • 9,414 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:03 PM

This is the D14 Thread.

Please stay on topic.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#432 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,379 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 04:13 PM

Wonder if there will be any impact to the schedule/timeline of D14 based on the snippets of comments regarding "DirecTV tightening its belt" in the media.

I don't think so myself...but it will be interesting to see if the D14 timeline holds up.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#433 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 17,302 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 05:53 PM

I doubt those statements have anything to do with building and launching new sats. Those are long term investments that are already planned out. I think the statements of belt tightening where more on short term investment, advertising expenses, and customer acquisition spending.

#434 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,180 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:38 PM

Wonder if there will be any impact to the schedule/timeline of D14 based on the snippets of comments regarding "DirecTV tightening its belt" in the media.

I don't think so myself...but it will be interesting to see if the D14 timeline holds up.

I doubt those statements have anything to do with building and launching new sats. Those are long term investments that are already planned out. I think the statements of belt tightening where more on short term investment, advertising expenses, and customer acquisition spending.

Even more, I think such statements are a shot across the bow for providers like ABC-ESPN-Disney when the next round of contract negotiations open up.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#435 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,314 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:53 PM

well part of the plans for D14 / D15 is to replace the older sat's.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#436 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,379 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 06:03 AM

Even more, I think such statements are a shot across the bow for providers like ABC-ESPN-Disney when the next round of contract negotiations open up.

That was pretty much my take...more about that than anything specific to sat launches...as those are multi-year projects already in the budget and underway.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#437 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,214 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:36 AM

Spectrum Five continues the quest this week (12/27) against DirecTV RB-2:

http://licensing.fcc...ment_key=931388

http://licensing.fcc...ment_key=931389

DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#438 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 17,302 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 01:59 PM

Do they even have one sat in the air? Are they not the ones that where basically told they where a joke by the FCC previously? So DirecTV amended their power on the sat and that makes their application bad, since they should have known something that they probably could not have know definitively until they finished their testing with the bss packages they sent up with d11 and d12 which happened after their application? Seems Ridiculous.

#439 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

• Registered
  • 12,180 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:30 PM

Do they even have one sat in the air? Are they not the ones that where basically told they where a joke by the FCC previously? So DirecTV amended their power on the sat and that makes their application bad, since they should have known something that they probably could not have know definitively until they finished their testing with the bss packages they sent up with d11 and d12 which happened after their application? Seems Ridiculous.

I expect the FCC to eventually tell Spectrum Five to go pound sand on this, but it will take some time to work through the bureaucracy.

Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#440 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,519 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Al.

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:51 PM

http://licensing.fcc...69293323&pgid=2

Tried new links
Did I miss the discussion elsewhere that DIRECTV had withdrawn all 3 of their applications for the 97 KA orbital slot.

Hughes and INMARSAT HAWAII still have 3 applications each pending.

Doctor j

Edited by doctor j, 04 January 2012 - 04:24 PM.
new links

MFH-2 System : 2 Major Viewing Areas. 2 x HR20-700's & H21 in each area via E2/SWM-8. Hardwire gigabit switch to 30 mb/sec internet.

#441 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,200 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:00 PM

http://licensing.fcc...erC/File Number

Did I miss the discussion elsewhere that DIRECTV had withdrawn all 3 of their applications for the 97 KA orbital slot.

Hughes and INMARSAT HAWAII still have 3 applications each pending.

Doctor j

None of those links are working for me.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#442 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,519 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Al.

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:16 PM

http://licensing.fcc...ment_key=929994

http://licensing.fcc...ment_key=929995

http://licensing.fcc...ment_key=929996

Try these.

Use open in new window

They worked in preview.
myibfs website : Directv as company name and sort for more recent actions.

Sorry
Doctor j

MFH-2 System : 2 Major Viewing Areas. 2 x HR20-700's & H21 in each area via E2/SWM-8. Hardwire gigabit switch to 30 mb/sec internet.

#443 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 17,302 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:34 PM

Am I the only one that finds it funny that they seem to have a refund process like that of say JC Pennys, and that it should take no more than 10 days? :lol:

Interesting. I suspect that they are giving up on these because they figure if they can get their core 3 spots going with ka, ku and bss they wont need any other spots. Of course, they don't have that yet, so do they know something we don't? Or had they only done that in case BSS testing proved to be futile and they would need to abandon BSS but have decided since BSS is definetly doable, they don't need the 97 any more? All interesting stuff to speculate on.

#444 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 20,388 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:06 PM

Maybe they couldn't figure out how to put two Ka feed horns so close together on a pizza-sized dish?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#445 OFFLINE   DBSSTEPHEN

DBSSTEPHEN

Legend

• Registered
  • 273 posts
  • LocationSALEM,MISSOURI 65560

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:07 PM

Wat happen the directv 13 satellite

#446 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,150 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:29 PM

It was cancelled. I think it was a replacement for D5, but cancelled several years ago, before 2009 I believe.

#447 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,602 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:54 PM

It was cancelled. I think it was a replacement for D5, but cancelled several years ago, before 2009 I believe.

Yeah ...

DIRECTV-13 (designated call letters "S2693") was originally to be a Ku-band satellite replacement for DIRECTV-5, but was canceled by DIRECTV back in Nov. of '07 due to future interference concerns from the FCC's application grants of Ku-band "DBS tweener" slots a 114.5 (Spectrum 5) and 105.5 (to SES Americom).

#448 OFFLINE   skaman74

skaman74

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:12 PM

When the D14 sat is up in running will I have to get a new satellite with more lnb or will it be on a different tuner on a already using satellite.

flag.gifflag.gifflag.gifflag.gifflag.gifflag.gifflag.gifflag.gifflag.gifflag.gif

#449 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:19 PM

It will probably be in the 103 degrees position so no new equipment will be necessary.

Kevin
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#450 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

• Registered
  • 12,180 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:55 PM

Everything known, speculated and thought to be known about Directv 14 (and all future sats, plus anything that changes with current sats), is usually talked about here:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=179580

There's a lot of material here, but it's a good thread to subscribe to. Those of us who update it tend to pay absurdly close attention to things like FCC filings, Directv financial reports and ITU regulatory rulings. :grin:

Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

Protected By... spam firewall...And...