Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV Satellite Discussion D-14

• Please log in to reply
1682 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,083 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:58 PM

Directv's most recent investor day presentations made reference to D14 being launched in June 2013 but give no specifics. I would think the exact RF payload will depend on the results of testing of the RB-2A BSS payload which is on D12.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:06 PM

Directv's most recent investor day presentations made reference to D14 being launched in June 2013 but give no specifics. I would think the exact RF payload will depend on the results of testing of the RB-2A BSS payload which is on D12.

WOW, You Are A Rocket Scientist!!! Oh My God!!!
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#23 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:55 AM

Makes sense.

Amazingly...there was alot of chatter about BSS testing around D12's launch time...but there's been a black hole of no news since on that front since...
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#24 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:12 AM

As I recall there was speculation that the extended IOT of D12 was to fully exercise and analyze the performance and capabilities of the RB-2A payload and the BSS technology.

At the same time there were others speculating that the unexpectedly long test period was an indication that something had gone horribly awry, and that didn't turn out to be the case.

If they did find out everything they needed to know with BSS on D12 I would not be at all surprised to see a fully functional BSS payload on D14.

Does anyone know when DirecTV would have to have their payload(s) ready to join to the satellite bus to meet a 6/2013 launch projection?
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#25 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,083 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:22 AM

Does anyone know when DirecTV would have to have their payload(s) ready to join to the satellite bus to meet a 6/2013 launch projection?

My SWAG would be that Directv would have to make sure that they have their RF system specs completely nailed down by Q1 2012 to get the systems fabricated and integrated into the spacecraft bus with sufficient schedule margin to allow for any glitches. Fortunately, nothing is particularly new or different in design of the spacecraft or the payloads - it's just the combination of parts is always at least somewhat unique, and some of them might have a long lead time. Hopefully, the RF systems subcontractor to Loral already has a set of preliminary high-level specifications to work from and has pre-ordered any longer lead-time items.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#26 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:38 AM

My SWAG would be that Directv would have to make sure that they have their RF system specs completely nailed down by Q1 2012 to get the systems fabricated and integrated into the spacecraft bus with sufficient schedule margin to allow for any glitches. Fortunately, nothing is particularly new or different in design of the spacecraft or the payloads - it's just the combination of parts is always at least somewhat unique, and some of them might have a long lead time. Hopefully, the RF systems subcontractor to Loral already has a set of preliminary high-level specifications to work from and has pre-ordered any longer lead-time items.

I hope they get the Rally Sport package with the leather and wood interior.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#27 OFFLINE   sorrycharlie

sorrycharlie

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:21 PM

I hope they get the Rally Sport package with the leather and wood interior.

Dont forget the heated seats! Its mighty cold up there! :lol:

#28 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:38 PM

So how many new PPV will we be getting with the D14?:)

#29 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:52 PM

So how many new PPV will we be getting with the D14?:)

ZERO
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#30 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:55 AM

My guess is that DirecTV-14 is going to be very similar to DirecTV-12 at 103 WL by providing Ka A-band CONUS beam service from 99 WL. Maybe a 99ca? :)

The only major difference is it will likely have a full CONUS coverage reverse-DBS band payload unlike DirecTV-12's limited 4 spotbeam RB-2A package.

That would be my guess. D12 couldn't do Conus on the reverse-DBS band because it is licensed to both a Canadian company and DirecTV. The Canadian company filed first internationally so DirecTV has to avoid interfering with them. This pretty much limits it to spot beams as you could never get proper conus coverage with out having interference problems. I predict that long term a large amount of locals will be coming from it but probably not until much close to when they will have to replace D10.

There are 2 things that give me a little pause on having both bands be conus on D14.

1) Power limitations. 14/16 KA conus tps and 18 reverse-DBS conus tps would be quite a lot of power needed and I think more than current configs use.

2) LNBs. I'm assuming we'll all need new LNBs to get the new band which means lots of service calls or limiting what it is used for somehow.

#31 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,117 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:01 PM

That would be my guess. D12 couldn't do Conus on the reverse-DBS band because it is licensed to both a Canadian company and DirecTV. The Canadian company filed first internationally so DirecTV has to avoid interfering with them. This pretty much limits it to spot beams as you could never get proper conus coverage with out having interference problems. I predict that long term a large amount of locals will be coming from it but probably not until much close to when they will have to replace D10.

There are 2 things that give me a little pause on having both bands be conus on D14.

1) Power limitations. 14/16 KA conus tps and 18 reverse-DBS conus tps would be quite a lot of power needed and I think more than current configs use.

2) LNBs. I'm assuming we'll all need new LNBs to get the new band which means lots of service calls or limiting what it is used for somehow.

As I recall, the Canadian company filed a lawsuit to stop them from even testing/using spots sayign they owned all the rights to that spectrum, even in the US, and had nothing to do with conus, because they didn't build a conus transponder into that bird at all.... And then add to that that the FCC and as far as I know no one else, ever even sided with the Canadian company. In fact, on some of the reply, it kind of sounded like the FCC said, well, STFU to them because I don't think they have shown any ability to actually launch a sat and use the spectrum. So I wonder about if they won't be able to use CONUS from that location anyway... Lefty and Sixto will remember for sure.

#32 OFFLINE   morgan79

morgan79

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:16 PM

what did we get with d-12 ?????

#33 OFFLINE   allen46901

allen46901

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:53 PM

A freind of mine got att-uadverse - The installer told me they now own Directv. Is this true? If so then has come they have tv channels that we Directv do not have access to , such as east and west feeds of TNT or TBS?

#34 OFFLINE   Crystal Pepsi Ball

Crystal Pepsi Ball

Godfather

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:19 PM

A freind of mine got att-uadverse - The installer told me they now own Directv. Is this true? If so then has come they have tv channels that we Directv do not have access to , such as east and west feeds of TNT or TBS?

AT&T does not own D* as of yet.

#35 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,032 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:26 PM

Utter nonsense from that U-verse installer ...

DirecTV is owned by the "DirecTV Group" which is in turn controlled by Liberty Media.

http://en.wikipedia....e_DirecTV_Group

#36 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,996 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 30 January 2011 - 03:22 PM

Utter nonsense from that U-verse installer ...

DirecTV is owned by the "DirecTV Group" which is in turn controlled by Liberty Media.

http://en.wikipedia....e_DirecTV_Group

IIRC Liberty is now out of the picture completly. DIRECTV now controls their own destiny.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#37 OFFLINE   xmetalx

xmetalx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:20 PM

Bahahaha, this always amuses me. ATT or Verizon claiming they own DTV. Fat chance :lol:
DirecTV employee since 2008
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

There's no place like ~/

#38 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,853 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:32 PM

Perhaps in some places AT&T offer bundle with DTV as it been here but with a competitor four years ago.

:backtotop: !!!

Edited by P Smith, 31 January 2011 - 11:38 PM.

#39 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:59 AM

I wish AT&T bought DirecTV. They sure have more HD channels. Plus maybe they would get the nice Mediaroom UI to work on the H2x/HR2x series receivers.

#40 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:24 AM

Perhaps in some places AT&T offer bundle with DTV as it been here but with a competitor four years ago.

:backtotop: !!!

Yup .. Let's get back to talking about DIRECTV 14 .. The newest Satellite in DIRECTV's fleet. Heck, it might not even technically be born yet, but we know it's coming.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

Protected By... spam firewall...And...