Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV Satellite Discussion D-14

• Please log in to reply
2144 replies to this topic

#521 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:08 PM

RATS
That may well explain why the "Beam Points" are not available in the file.
Data error messages come up trying to read the file. The individual GXT files have the beam points I believe.

I did see that there are 76 TPN's available in the 46 Spotbeams.
Spots are A01 to A22 and B01 to B24.
Most are 2 TPN's per beam (26) but two A06 and A08 have 3 TPN's and 18 including A21 & A22 as well as B21 thru B24 have only 1 TPN

Also 16 National TPN #9 thru 24.
These 16 are replicated twice, once in Hawaii Beam and again in the Puerto Rico Beam.

Doctor j

So are you saying the spots with three tpns are the ones pointed at puerto Rico and Hawaii? Or are they probably so they can be pointed at the areas with the largest number of channels, or maybe simply the biggest dmas that may carry more channels overall because they are so spread out, like say Utah?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#522 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:11 PM

I believe 15 is supposed to launch at the end of 2014. They do need to get these up there in case 10 does fail. Since it's running on backup propulsion, they accelerated the schedule.

I also have to endear if they aren't going to be using d15 to replace a sat or two at 101. They are getting kind of old up there too I believe. It seems d14 can easily replace d10 and add quite a bit more capacity, knowing its not using spots and that DIRECTV has upgraded their ability to have six channels instead of five per tpn.

#523 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,266 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:45 PM

RATS
That may well explain why the "Beam Points" are not available in the file.
Data error messages come up trying to read the file. The individual GXT files have the beam points I believe.

I did see that there are 76 TPN's available in the 46 Spotbeams.
Spots are A01 to A22 and B01 to B24.
Most are 2 TPN's per beam (26) but two A06 and A08 have 3 TPN's and 18 including A21 & A22 as well as B21 thru B24 have only 1 TPN ...

You think the "A" and "B" groupings for the spotbeams likely imply only two spotbeam antennas with 22 and 24 beams respectively as opposed to the four used by the Ka B-Band payloads for LiLs on D10, 11, and 12?

And apparently D14 will receive from only four of the main six uplink sites.

S1 - LABC
S2 - Castle Rock
S3 - SWUF (near Tucson Ariz.)
S4 - NWUF (Moxee WA.)

Also, I guess the 46 spots do not include a dedicated Hawaii beam labeled "C01" on a third separate dish perhaps? I see as well that Hawaii has no local spotbeam transponders included in this payload. Only a mirror for the National tps.

Whereas Puerto Rico appears to have two LiL tps. in addition to a National mirror. One each for two spotbeams assigned to PR. One beam ("B24") carries odd channels and the other ("B23") even.

... Also 16 National TPN #9 thru 24.
These 16 are replicated twice, once in Hawaii Beam and again in the Puerto Rico Beam.

Doctor j

I wonder if this is actually three separate, yet redundant sets of 16 transponders for CONUS, HI., and PR all receiving the same National programming uplinked from the LABC ("S1")?

#524 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,803 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:24 PM

I also have to endear if they aren't going to be using d15 to replace a sat or two at 101.

Wouldn't they need to change out LNB's if they did that?

#525 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,161 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:29 PM

Wouldn't they need to change out LNB's if they did that?

Probably so. More problematically, if they intend to broadcast Ka band to customers they would need to also get FCC approval. Right now, as I understand things, Directv's Ka license only allows them to broadcast from there to their own receiver stations for signal backhauls.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#526 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:24 PM

Why couldn't they simply make the ka band transponders ku band? We know they have made changes to the frequencies of tpns before they where launched before from what we expected, and we have yet to see any real filings of technical data on d15 yet.

I was simply speculating that may happen after a successful launch of d14 to orbit and service. If it doesn't make it to orbit and service, then I would see d15 as a replacement to d14... They can wait to set or install tpns till they know if d14 is successful, can't they? Just like they did with d12?

#527 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

• Registered
  • 12,161 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:49 PM

Why couldn't they simply make the ka band transponders ku band? We know they have made changes to the frequencies of tpns before they where launched before from what we expected, and we have yet to see any real filings of technical data on d15 yet.

I was simply speculating that may happen after a successful launch of d14 to orbit and service. If it doesn't make it to orbit and service, then I would see d15 as a replacement to d14... They can wait to set or install tpns till they know if d14 is successful, can't they? Just like they did with d12?

Nope, not really. Every single satellite vehicle is a specific "space station" in FCC terms and requires specific licensing authority to operate. The license for the satellite specifies the RF payload that the satellite is allowed to operate.

Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#528 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,057 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:58 PM

Why couldn't they simply make the ka band transponders ku band? ...

By law of physics - dimensions of RF guides/tubes are different for Ka and Ku freqs.

#529 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

• Registered
  • 12,161 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:32 PM

By law of physics - dimensions of RF guides/tubes are different for Ka and Ku freqs.

Changing physical transponder hardware is the least of the issues. FCC approval is far more important and harder to accomplish.

Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#530 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:39 PM

For those interested, the beam footprints for all 47 D14 Beams are published and available here at DBSTALK at the Tips & Resources Forum, in the Beam Footprint Library thread.

These are all interactive displays which require that you have the GoogleEarth application. Details are all in the Footprint Library thread.

#531 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,467 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Al.

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:17 AM

For those interested, the beam footprints for all 47 D14 Beams are published and available here at DBSTALK at the Tips & Resources Forum, in the Beam Footprint Library thread.

These are all interactive displays which require that you have the GoogleEarth application. Details are all in the Footprint Library thread.

GREAT WORK!!
Thanks to spears61 for his expertise in this area.

Just a shame we have to wait 18 months. I'm so impatient!!

Doctor j

MFH-2 System : 2 Major Viewing Areas. 2 x HR20-700's & H21 in each area via E2/SWM-8. Hardwire gigabit switch to 30 mb/sec internet.

#532 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,266 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:20 AM

Yes ... great work indeed;

Though the Puerto Rico spotbeam assignment is a little confusing with the MS database reading it as if there will be two separate beams "B23" (LHCP or even channels ) and "B24" (RHCP or odd channels).

And spears61 list which has it as a single SB, "B23LR," to carry both L/RHCP channels on the same beam which like the Hawaii SB "CO1" makes more sense of course than having two overlapping spots for L/RHCP channel sets. But still confusing.

#533 OFFLINE   Carolina

Carolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:12 AM

Did they skip D13 because they were afraid of bad luck? :lol: I have heard of building that don't have a floor called the 13th floor. They jump the numbers from 12 to 14.

#534 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,504 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:48 AM

Did they skip D13 because they were afraid of bad luck? :lol: I have heard of building that don't have a floor called the 13th floor. They jump the numbers from 12 to 14.

D13 was a replacement for 5, but was cancelled.

#535 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,057 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:29 AM

It was 7th times when the same question asked here, in the thread. :lol:
First time it was : http://www.dbstalk.c...d13#post2856312

Perhaps It should be sticky at top of the thread ?

#536 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:39 PM

Nope, not really. Every single satellite vehicle is a specific "space station" in FCC terms and requires specific licensing authority to operate. The license for the satellite specifies the RF payload that the satellite is allowed to operate.

Maybe I wasn't clear. I am saying if d14 is successful, who's to say they don't get approval to and setup d15 to be used at 101 and replace one or more of the aging satelites at that location?n they haven't asked for any authorization for that sat yet have they?

#537 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

• Registered
  • 12,161 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:33 AM

Maybe I wasn't clear. I am saying if d14 is successful, who's to say they don't get approval to and setup d15 to be used at 101 and replace one or more of the aging satelites at that location?n they haven't asked for any authorization for that sat yet have they?

Yeah, they might do that. As far as I recall, there have been no public FCC filings about D15 yet. There was an investor presentation a year or so ago showing the estimated lifespan of the satellite fleet and yeah, there will need to be some vehicles in the pipeline to replace the Ku birds at 101. I suspect, however, they we may not see FCC documents about them until they are well underway. Approval to replace existing satellites in a slot and bandwidth segment for which they already have an operating license is probably pretty pro forma.

Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#538 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,182 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:40 PM

More on the Spectrum battle, hopefully over now:

http://licensing.fcc...ment_key=953571

DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#539 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:03 PM

More on the Spectrum battle, hopefully over now:

http://licensing.fcc...ment_key=953571

Sure is a long document to tell the Netherlands to take their satellite and shove it :)

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#540 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Registered
  • 980 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:03 AM

do we actually have a launch date time frame? is it this year? or next.. Its been a real long time since we got the last satellite..

Protected By... spam firewall...And...