Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV Satellite Discussion D-14

• Please log in to reply
2145 replies to this topic

#541 ONLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,108 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:42 AM

do we actually have a launch date time frame? is it this year? or next.. Its been a real long time since we got the last satellite..

If you look through the thread, you can find an estimate of late 2013 for D14.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#542 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,268 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:33 AM

The LOA document actually states a launch window of late 2013 to early 2014;

From the PDF:

"DIRECTV anticipates that Space Systems/Loral will complete construction of DIRECTV 14 in the fourth quarter of 2013 and that the satellite will be launched by the end of that year or in early 2014."

#543 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:17 AM

Well, there has to be some leeway for weather and such. Not sure if there are launch windows.

#544 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,162 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:12 AM

From the PDF:

"DIRECTV anticipates that Space Systems/Loral will complete construction of DIRECTV 14 in the fourth quarter of 2013 and that the satellite will be launched by the end of that year or in early 2014."

Well, there has to be some leeway for weather and such. Not sure if there are launch windows.

Well there are launch windows but that's more due to the availability of the launch range assets (exclusionary zones and tracking assets, plus the personnel and crews to operate the equipment and enforce the keep-out areas downrange) and orbital operations and tracking personnel availability. Not to mention the biggest "window" of them all, which is the availability of a launch vehicle. That depends mostly on the launch operator chosen. Both Directv 14 and Directv 15 will fly on Ariane V rockets from Kourou, French Guiana.

http://www.arianespa...011-directv.asp

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#545 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:33 AM

Thanks. I figured since it was going to the type of orbit they use, that the launch windows weren't quite as complicated that NASA can end up with when they have to intercept an object, or hit a particular sequence of planets.

#546 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

• Registered
  • 12,162 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:43 AM

Of some interest to the future of the Directv satellite constellation, Space Systems/Loral (SS/L) is being acquired by the Canadian firm MDA. Shouldn't affect things really, but some of us do like to follow the major comings and goings in the aerospace industry.

http://spaceref.biz/...uster-deal.html

Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#547 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,183 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:54 AM

Also was some earth station items last week.

http://licensing.fcc...erC/File Number

"DIRECTV Enterprises, LLC requests authority to license a new earth station to communicate with DIRECTV's Ka-band satellites."

"DIRECTV Enterprises, LLC requests authority to operate a new DBS earth station at its Virginica facility."
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#548 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:21 AM

I hope the FCC aren't sticklers for typos.

#549 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,268 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:43 AM

I hope the FCC aren't sticklers for typos.

Yeah ...;

Unless there's a state of "Virginica" no one knows about. ;)

#550 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:08 AM

One of my nieces lives their.:)

#551 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,268 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:16 AM

With all the emphasis on HD and their associated uplink facilities, I'd practically forgotten about the ECUF in Virgina.

Which I assume stands for "East Coast Uplink Facility," and is primarily at least for SD Ku spotbeam locals to my knowledge.

Attached Thumbnails

• DirecTV ECUF.png

#552 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,252 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:20 PM

Of some interest to the future of the Directv satellite constellation, Space Systems/Loral (SS/L) is being acquired by the Canadian firm MDA. Shouldn't affect things really, but some of us do like to follow the major comings and goings in the aerospace industry.

http://spaceref.biz/...uster-deal.html

In that same realm, I noticed that sea launch had a successful launch a few weeks ago and is back up and running again. That may be even more important, as it adds another launch provider location.

#553 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:36 PM

In that same realm, I noticed that sea launch had a successful launch a few weeks ago and is back up and running again. That may be even more important, as it adds another launch provider location.

See a thread http://www.dbstalk.c...433&postcount=4

#554 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

• Registered
  • 12,162 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:00 PM

Yeah, their return to operations has been long, convoluted and involved a partial change of ownership. They're not currently in the loop for any announced Directv launches, however.

Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#555 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:46 PM

From the PDF:

But there is more to it than that.... Satellites do not carry a lot of fuel like the Soyuz or Progress that goes to the IIS. When it reaches orbit, it will get a small burst, a "nudge" that will bring it into an orbit that will increase with each time the satellite orbits. It will do this for many weeks, until it reaches the desired orbital height. Once there, the engines will be used to "park" it at a geo-stationary orbit.

The reason this takes time, again, is because of fuel constraints, and breaking in space costs just as much fuel as accelerating.

To get an idea how long it took for D12: http://en.wikipedia....wiki/DirecTV-12

In short, you probably won't see any channels on the new D14 satellite until some 4 to 6 months after its initial launch. VERY best case scenario, and builders keep their target date, the weather hold up for the first available launch opportunity, and testing goes very smoothly and quick..... you may see channels pop up on D14 some time in spring 2014. But more realistically, I would not bet on seeing anything till the summer of 2014.

That is of course, there isn't a (big) problem with the launch.... in which case we'll have to wait till D15..
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#556 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,252 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:43 PM

Yeah, their return to operations has been long, convoluted and involved a partial change of ownership. They're not currently in the loop for any announced Directv launches, however.

Yeah, it looks like they are now owned by one of the other land based launch systems so if something fell behind somewhere, I have to wonder if they could push some to sea launch to keep launches going. Don't think that wood have any impact n DIRECTV next launches... Of course I know that's not something that can happen quickly, but the more launchers the better IMHO for the overall industry.

#557 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:52 PM

Changing launchers could be done in 6 months in advance ...

#558 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,268 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:09 PM

But there is more to it than that.... Satellites do not carry a lot of fuel like the Soyuz or Progress that goes to the IIS. When it reaches orbit, it will get a small burst, a "nudge" that will bring it into an orbit that will increase with each time the satellite orbits. It will do this for many weeks, until it reaches the desired orbital height. Once there, the engines will be used to "park" it at a geo-stationary orbit.

The reason this takes time, again, is because of fuel constraints, and breaking in space costs just as much fuel as accelerating.

In short, you probably won't see any channels on the new D14 satellite until some 4 to 6 months after its initial launch. VERY best case scenario, and builders keep their target date, the weather hold up for the first available launch opportunity, and testing goes very smoothly and quick..... you may see channels pop up on D14 some time in spring 2014. But more realistically, I would not bet on seeing anything till the summer of 2014.

That is of course, there isn't a (big) problem with the launch.... in which case we'll have to wait till D15..

Oh sure, I never said there wasn't a lot to be done post launch. There's orbit raising, in orbit testing, transfer to its operational slot, more testing again after arrival, etc. all which must be successfully accomplished before D14/RB-1 is formally placed into service.

I was just referring to prospective window for the actual launch date as anywhere from late 2013 early 2014.

Not of all the processes which follow it.

#559 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

• Registered
  • 12,162 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:03 AM

Bear in mind, however, that D12 (and D10 before it) was launched from Baikonur Cosmodrome on a Proton rocket. Launching to an equatorial orbit from such a high latitude takes a LOT more time (and generally a lot more fuel) than launching from an equatorial site, as was done for D11 (SeaLaunch) and will be done for the next few Directv launched with Arianespace. So although testing and checkout will still require extensive work, orbit raising and circularizing won't take nearly as long.

Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#560 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,183 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:27 AM

6/29/2012:

DIRECTV hereby requests an extension of its STA for up to 60 days to continue to stationkeep the DIRECTV 1R spacecraft at the BSS slot allocated to the US at 109.8 W.L. and to perform TT&C operations with DIRECTV 1R during this period.

http://licensing.fcc...ment_key=957792

DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...