Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV Satellite Discussion D-14

• Please log in to reply
1545 replies to this topic

#621 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,024 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:39 PM

Ignoring the flexible beam targeting capability of the Spaceway birds, either one of the new satellites should have the spot beam capacity of SW1 and SW2 combined.

Spending targetable beams on an area half again the size or Maryland seems like a waste.

Actually, you are likely correct, that the new birds will be able to cover as many or more areas as the space ways. But that makes your second part so very wrong. You can now use the entire bandwidth of the space ways to give an entire market every channel that is on the other main birds that the other main birds can't hit because of positioning, but the space ways can. Seems like a no brainer to me.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#622 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,552 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:12 AM

I seem to recall an area somewhere around Lost Wages that had significant trouble getting their spot beam as well as some market on the East Coast that was only partially served.

DIRECTV would probably do better to send an RB signal that way -- nore bang for the bandwidth (albeit without a transitional solution).

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#623 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,967 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:08 AM

I seem to recall an area somewhere around Lost Wages that had significant trouble getting their spot beam as well as some market on the East Coast that was only partially served.

DIRECTV would probably do better to send an RB signal that way -- nore bang for the bandwidth (albeit without a transitional solution).

"RB" (Reverse Band) is destined for CONUS coverage and according to Phil Goswitz SVP Space & Communications, DIRECTV, Inc., to carry what looks like International programming. Perhaps an eventual replacement for the 95w International dish service?

No spotbeam capability is currently planned.

NOTE: and in case you're wondering, I think the Reverse Band RB-2A's four large SB payload aboard D12 at 103w is(was) for advanced customer testing while the dispute with Spectrum 5 was settled and are not steerable anyway.

#624 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,024 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:10 PM

"RB" (Reverse Band) is destined for CONUS coverage and according to Phil Goswitz SVP Space & Communications, DIRECTV, Inc., to carry what looks like International programming. Perhaps an eventual replacement for the 95w International dish service?

No spotbeam capability is currently planned.

NOTE: and in case you're wondering, I think the Reverse Band RB-2A's four large SB payload aboard D12 at 103w is(was) for advanced customer testing while the dispute with Spectrum 5 was settled and are not steerable anyway.

Actually, if they use that for international, I'd say it might also be to replace everything at 119 as well. They may plan to move all services to 99 101 and 103 eventually.

With that said,I see no reasons pothead can't be used for rb at some point.

#625 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,967 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:23 PM

Actually, if they use that for international, I'd say it might also be to replace everything at 119 as well. They may plan to move all services to 99 101 and 103 eventually.

With that said,I see no reasons pothead can't be used for rb at some point.

Could be;

I was just referring to a brief comment Goswitz recently made on the issue of the future use of RB in addition to the main topic of Ultra HD as quoted in the conclusion to a March 2012 article in AdvancedTelevision.com:

"At DirecTV we see a couple of things happening," Goswitz said. "First, our subscribers are migrating away from Ku-band, and upgrading themselves to Ka-band and its HDTV services. In four or five years, our Ku-band [transmissions] could end. We are also developing the so-called Reverse Band for DBS services, and these are on our Road Map for future international services. ...

http://www.pcmag.com...,2401711,00.asp

#626 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,985 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:54 PM

Why would they want to give up the 32 Ku transponders at 101, IMHO that makes no sense?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#627 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,967 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:07 PM

Why would they want to give up the 32 Ku transponders at 101, IMHO that makes no sense?

That's where the confusion comes in.

AdvancedTelevision.com in March has Goswitz saying Ku signals will eventually end.

Yet later at October 1st Swanni also allegedly quotes from AdvancedTelevision.com (no date given) has Goswitz now saying the Ku band will be used in the future for Ultra HD channels.

http://www.tvpredict...m/dhd100112.htm

#628 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,024 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:56 PM

That's where the confusion comes in.

AdvancedTelevision.com in March has Goswitz saying Ku signals will eventually end.

Yet later at October 1st Swanni also allegedly quotes from AdvancedTelevision.com (no date given) has Goswitz now saying the Ku band will be used in the future for Ultra HD channels.

http://www.tvpredict...m/dhd100112.htm

I think he probably meant that he sess sd mpeg2 from Ku ending, thus implying it will be retasked for other uses at some point than core sd programing that it is used for now. Possibly 4/8k. I also wouldn't be surprised if they use some bss at some point to get all the local sub channels. Maybe even some of the ku capacity at some point down the road, after its emptied.

#629 ONLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,757 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

I think that the Ku band with its better signal to noise ratio and better ability to plow through rain fade (as opposed to Ka) would allow them to utilize higher order modulation rates (like 8PSK). This higher spectrum efficiency poses a great asset to high bandwidth 4k / 8k ultra definition content. Paired with new advanced codecs, there could be a capacity for a half decent lineup of 4k or even 8k channels.

I don't think they can bounce 8PSK off of many Ku transponders today because all the old equipment deployed out there that doesn't have the ability to demodulate that type of signal. I could see it being a gradual transition as old receivers are swapped out, much like some Echostar birds have a mix of 8PSK and QPSK.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#630 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,967 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

I think that the Ku band with its better signal to noise ratio and better ability to plow through rain fade (as opposed to Ka) would allow them to utilize higher order modulation rates (like 8PSK). This higher spectrum efficiency poses a great asset to high bandwidth 4k / 8k ultra definition content. Paired with new advanced codecs, there could be a capacity for a half decent lineup of 4k or even 8k channels.

I don't think they can bounce 8PSK off of many Ku transponders today because all the old equipment deployed out there that doesn't have the ability to demodulate that type of signal. I could see it being a gradual transition as old receivers are swapped out, much like some Echostar birds have a mix of 8PSK and QPSK.

Yes, but I wonder if the regulations for the Ku band BSS service will need to be entirely revamped first, as they were firmly established by the FCC and ITU long ago (AP30/AP30A standards) for 32 24 MHz wide transponder channels per slot (For "our" ITU region 2) at 9 degree longitude spacing.

Doubt you can do much with only 24 MHz wide transponders for UHD even with higher level modulation like 8-PSK or new greater compression formats beyond MPEG-4.

Edited by HoTat2, 06 February 2013 - 09:46 AM.

#631 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:49 AM

Brazil:

http://licensing.fcc...ment_key=984691

http://licensing.fcc...erC/File Number

DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#632 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,552 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:15 AM

Brazil:

Isn't 45W outside the purview of the FCC?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#633 ONLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:50 AM

When would D14 be operational more or less.

#634 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,967 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:10 AM

When would D14 be operational more or less.

Estimate late first quarter to early second quarter 2014.

#635 ONLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:16 AM

Thanks.

#636 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,717 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:06 AM

Estimate late first quarter to early second quarter 2014.

Has a launch date been set yet?

#637 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:39 AM

Very good question. 45W appears to be directly above Brazil. The filing indicates that the uplinks will be in Brazil. The US may be the coordinator of the geosynchronous orbit in the western hemisphere. Now who coordinates all the GPS and spy satellites running around up there is any ones guess.
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#638 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,967 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:20 AM

Has a launch date been set yet?

Nothing definitive yet, other than the launch window estimate DIRECTV filed with the FCC in the Schedule S document.

From 1/15/2014 to 3/1/2014.

#639 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

Intelsat has a satellite at 45°WL that is authorized for service into the US and Canada, so I guess that gives the FCC some control. Also, since command and control, if not some uplink of content, could presumably originate in the US, that could also give the FCC a say.

I would imagine that DirecTV also needs to file an application with Brazil to authorize broadcasting into that country.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#640 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,552 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:16 AM

Intelsat has a satellite at 45°WL that is authorized for service into the US and Canada, so I guess that gives the FCC some control. Also, since command and control, if not some uplink of content, could presumably originate in the US, that could also give the FCC a say.

From the filing, all transmission (including TT&C run on the edges of the uplink band) would be from and to Brazil.

The FCC generally doesn't hold sway to anything on or over international waters unless it is broadcast from a ship registered to the US so maybe that's what is going on here. IIRC, there are some Mexican broadcast stations located in the oceans that relay content under this exception.

spam firewall