Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV Satellite Discussion D-14

• Please log in to reply
1739 replies to this topic

#681 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,075 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:12 AM

I understand that there are C and Ku combinations but is it at all possible to set up a feed horn that can do Ku and RDBS where the frequencies aren't handy multiples? Needing multiple and/or regional reflectors or some manner of oversized siamesed dish doesn't seem workable.

I think the main question here is if the frequency response of the Ka band feedhorns at 99 and 103 extend, or be modified to extend in a new LNB, slightly below the Ka-lo band at 18.3-18.8 GHz to accept the RDBS band at 17.3-17.7 GHz as well?   

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#682 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,888 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:01 PM

Should be possible, even though like other specific details of DIRECTV's ODU equipment our knowledge of how the flexports are signaled is limited due to corporate propriety;

we already has the knowledge how FPs controlling ... I posted the DiSEqC-like cmds

#683 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,103 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:03 PM

I understand that there are C and Ku combinations but is it at all possible to set up a feed horn that can do Ku and RDBS where the frequencies aren't handy multiples? Needing multiple and/or regional reflectors or some manner of oversized siamesed dish doesn't seem workable.

I think the main question here is if the frequency response of the Ka band feedhorns at 99 and 103 extend, or be modified to extend in a new LNB, slightly below the Ka-lo band at 18.3-18.8 GHz to accept the RDBS band at 17.3-17.7 GHz as well?

DIRECTV has a patent for an ODU using a frequency selective surface that would reflect the Ku signal to a feedhorn on the dish arm, and allow the Ka signal to pass through this surface to the feedhorn at the end of the arm. The patent description indicates that a Ka/Ku feedhorn isn't possible due to the wide range of frequencies. It does say that moving the Ku feedhorn would allow "improved reception efficiency for all the feedhorns". This change would be necessary for receiving Ka and Ku signals from 101 and the patent description doesn't specifically discuss the capabilities of the current dish with regard to Reverse band frequencies.

#684 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,075 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:34 PM

we already has the knowledge how FPs controlling ... I posted the DiSEqC-like cmds

P. Smith, I recall you once posting the DiSEqC commands for switching a BBC, but not for the flexports.

Maybe I missed it, got a link or can post them again? 

#685 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,888 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:57 PM

I don't have it ... thought it could be found if need ... something like 'e101' 'e102' ... but the darn cmd must be send constantly, like 22 KHz tone

Edited by P Smith, 11 June 2013 - 01:58 PM.

#686 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,784 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:57 PM

DIRECTV has a patent for an ODU using a frequency selective surface that would reflect the Ku signal to a feedhorn on the dish arm, and allow the Ka signal to pass through this surface to the feedhorn at the end of the arm. The patent description indicates that a Ka/Ku feedhorn isn't possible due to the wide range of frequencies. It does say that moving the Ku feedhorn would allow "improved reception efficiency for all the feedhorns". This change would be necessary for receiving Ka and Ku signals from 101 and the patent description doesn't specifically discuss the capabilities of the current dish with regard to Reverse band frequencies.

And here is that patent:

http://www.google.co...tents/US7982687

Very interesting stuff!

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#687 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,075 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:48 PM

And here is that patent:

http://www.google.co...tents/US7982687

Very interesting stuff!

Yes it is;

But as a viable way to receive Ka band signals separately from simultaneous Ku ones at 101.

When I first saw that patent at the time I thought at first it would furnish some insights into what DIRECTV had in planning for RDBS band reception from 99 and 103, but it wasn't unfortunately.

#688 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,801 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:41 AM

When I first saw that patent at the time I thought at first it would furnish some insights into what DIRECTV had in planning for RDBS band reception from 99 and 103, but it wasn't unfortunately.

It is starting to look like all the discussion of switchgear, software and even the RDBS payload is probably moot with respect to DIRECTV 14 and how it will impact the usable bandwidth for residential subscribers.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#689 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,075 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:45 PM

It is starting to look like all the discussion of switchgear, software and even the RDBS payload is probably moot with respect to DIRECTV 14 and how it will impact the usable bandwidth for residential subscribers.

Why?

#690 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,888 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:52 PM

I think it's because DTV didn't make any clear statements of using it, of new switchgear, dishes, LNBF, freq stacks ... total blackout, like they doing preliminary work, but not anything to agile us, customers, installers and forum's posters ;)

#691 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,147 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:10 AM

:lol:

#692 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,801 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:37 AM

Why?

How?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#693 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,075 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:41 AM

How?

The possible "how" is what we're discussing here. But what I meant is "why" is it your contention that the way RDBS reception may be implemented on the subscriber end is a "moot" point now?

You mean DIRECTV made all this pioneering effort and financial investment in earth and space equipment for RDBS transmission over the years, just to do an abrupt about-face and scrap it all at this point?

What proof do you have of that?  

Edited by HoTat2, 16 June 2013 - 11:42 AM.

#694 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,888 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:58 PM

the 'proof' will be real MOOT point :D

#695 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,788 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:49 PM

RDBS will be used ... but as a new band requiring a new LNB any use will require upgrading each and every subscriber that will need to receive the RDBS signal. It isn't as easy as launching the satellite and "poof" millions of existing setups can already receive the new channels being placed on RDBS. Unless every HD subscriber is upgraded the use will be limited to those who have been upgraded.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#696 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:39 PM

What are the chances that the RDBS payload could be lit up at a later time? 

If the plans for RDBS entail more bandwidth than just the D14 payload can provide maybe it's being staged.

Get D14 into its' orbital slot and the the RDBS payload validated durint IOT and let it idle for now.  Follow it up with more of the same on D15 later in the year which would then effectively double the RDBS bandwidth in the air and ready to use.  Place two birds with fully functional RDBS hardware by the end of 2014 and then roll out hardware upgrades to make use of it all starting in 2015

"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#697 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,197 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:55 PM

Is there and up to date page with the specs and the Launch date?

#698 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,075 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:29 PM

Is there and up to date page with the specs and the Launch date?

No site that I know of, just pretty much the official FCC filings right now.

Satellite construction commencement date: 4/9/10

Completion date: 1/1/14

Estimated Launch Window: 1/15/14 - 3/1/14

Estimated date for placement into service: 5/1/14 

Attached Files

#699 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,128 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:02 PM

No site that I know of, just pretty much the official FCC filings right now.

Satellite construction commencement date: 4/9/10

Completion date: 1/1/14

I am no expert, but can anyone explain why it takes over 3 years to physically build the satellite? I could see 3 years if that included design and engineering, but just to build it??

My Setup

#700 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,888 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:51 AM

it does both - design is unique for each sat contrary to a car; adding to that there is no manufacturing line for sats

Protected By... spam firewall...And...