Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV Satellite Discussion D-14

• Please log in to reply
1783 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,346 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:18 AM

Can Ka slots be spaced only 2 degrees apart?

I think DIRECTV is doing that already. They have a Ka sat in the 101 slot and, of course, 99 and 103.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:19 AM

Can Ka slots be spaced only 2 degrees apart?

How ? What reasons you have in mind what would ALLOW positioning Ka sats close as C-band sats ? Not following Ku sats rules ?
  • mikeissurreal likes this

#123 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:20 AM

I think DIRECTV is doing that already. They have a Ka sat in the 101 slot and, of course, 99 and 103.

Anything transmitting in Ka range from 101W ?

#124 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,100 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:21 AM

Directv is already using Ka band 2º apart - there are Ka backhauls at 101º already.

See page 12 and Appendix A of the document Sixto provided for discussion of interference analysis.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#125 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,346 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:27 AM

Anything transmitting in Ka range from 101W ?

Directv is already using Ka band 2º apart - there are Ka backhauls at 101º already.

See page 12 and Appendix A of the document Sixto provided for discussion of interference analysis.

Yup, and there's some general DIRECTV Ka info in this thread: http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=82295

Genie, Hx2x, nomad

#126 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:40 AM

Yup, and there's some general DIRECTV Ka info in this thread: http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=82295

Doesn't count - those freq should be allocated in different range, therefor is not receivable by subscriber's disnes/LNBFs.

#127 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

• Registered
  • 12,100 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 11:38 AM

Doesn't count - those freq should be allocated in different range, therefor is not receivable by subscriber's disnes/LNBFs.

Stop being pedantic. Doesn't necessarily matter - RF is wavelike and interference can occur even without the customer's LNB being able to receive it.

Besides, and more to the point, interference is already addressed by Directv in its documentation (I provided the reference above). If you'd take the time to read it you'd realize it isn't an issue.

Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#128 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,346 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 02:18 PM

Sorry, I'm no RF expert. I just figured Ka is Ka. Assumptions can bite you (me) sometimes. :)

Genie, Hx2x, nomad

#129 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

• Registered
  • 12,100 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 02:18 PM

Sorry, I'm no RF expert. I just figured Ka is Ka. Assumptions can bite you (me) sometimes. :)

His answer is irrelevant - see my subsequent post.

Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#130 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 03:43 PM

NP, perhaps we are talking about SPECIAL allocation for 101W Ka's use. Not for us, mere mortal. :)

#131 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 04:20 PM

The frequency range for the slot is the same as for 99° and 103°. That the block of frequency is broken up differently at 101° doesn't matter. The wavelengths "could" interfere.

What DIRECTV does is spotbeam the backhauls at 101° to minimize the likelihood of interference.

So what would DIRECTV do at 97°? Since they've specified transponders, I'm guessing they have enough experience with Ka they know they can make 2° spacing work.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#132 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 04:41 PM

The frequency range for the slot is the same as for 99° and 103°. That the block of frequency is broken up differently at 101° doesn't matter. The wavelengths "could" interfere.

What DIRECTV does is spotbeam the backhauls at 101° to minimize the likelihood of interference.

So what would DIRECTV do at 97°? Since they've specified transponders, I'm guessing they have enough experience with Ka they know they can make 2° spacing work.

Cheers,
Tom

Perhaps Ka Spot Beams only.

#133 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 04:43 PM

May be it's time to make new dedicated thread for Ka at 97W?

And clean the thread from off-topic posts ?

#134 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,856 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 04:45 PM

Cheers,
Tom

From the FCC website here: http://transition.fc...a/faq.html#FAQ6

The Commission's two-degree orbital spacing policy, which was established in 1983, maximizes the number of satellites in orbit by ensuring that Fixed Satellite Service (FSS) satellites in geostationary-satellite orbit (GSO) can operate without causing harmful interference to other GSO FSS satellites located as close as two degrees away. Prior to the Commission's adoption of the two-degree spacing policy, GSO FSS satellites were usually spaced three or four degrees apart. By adopting rules that enabled satellite operators to place their space stations two degrees apart, the Commission was able to accommodate more GSO FSS satellites. The two-degree orbital spacing policy is important for earth station applicants because the Commission, among other things, adopted a number of rules that would ensure that earth stations communicating with satellites at two-degree orbital separations would not cause unacceptable interference to adjacent satellite systems using the same frequency bands. These rules include earth station antenna diameter and performance requirements, and power restrictions embodied in 47 C.F.R. §§ 25.134, 25.209, 25.211, and 25.212. See Routine Licensing of Earth Stations in the 6 GHz and 14 GHz Bands Using Antennas Less than 9 Meters and 5 Meters in Diameter, respectively, for Both Full Transponder and Narrowband Transmissions, Declaratory Order, 2 FCC Rcd 2149 (Com. Car. Bur., 1987), cited in 47 C.F.R. § 25.134. For more information on the Commission’s two-degree orbital spacing policy, see Licensing of Space Stations in the Domestic Fixed-Satellite Service and Related Revisions of Part 25 of the Rules and Regulations, Report and Order, CC Docket No. 81-704, FCC 83-184, 54 Rad. Reg. 2d 577 (rel. Aug. 16, 1983); summary printed in Licensing Space Stations in the Domestic Fixed-Satellite Service, 48 F.R. 40233 (Sept. 6, 1983).

A.K.A VOS

#135 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 12 August 2011 - 04:50 PM

From 2007:

C, Ku, Ka
Unlike C band transponders, Ku and Ka do not have standardized transponder frequencies (although, DBS usage of Ku has been standardized by the FCC and ITU). Outside of the dbs satellites, to use a Ku transponder, an engineer needs to verify (and double check) the specific frequencies for that particular satellite.

Ka is even more flexible. D8 and D9s were always surprising to me in that they only had a very few Ka transponders. What I did not realize is that each transponder’s signal is 250mhz wide. While not very useful for dbs purposes, they are quite useful for backhauling OTA signals around the country ultimately for uplink to the spotbeams from the satellites at 99° or 103°.

Ka satellite locations can operate with 2 degrees of separation, narrower than the 4 degree necessary for Ku.

Typical Ka dbs licenses allow two 500 mhz ranges of downlinking: 19.7-20.2 GHz (A-band) and 18.3-18.8GHz (B-band) as well as three more of uplinking. Ku licenses allow one 500 mhz range each.

Directv standard Ku transponders, numbered 1-32, are 29mhz wide with 24mhz usable. For D10 and D11, Ka transponders are numbered 1-24, and are 40mhz wide with 36mhz usable. S1 and S2 can be operated as eight transponders 62.5mhz wide.

Ku transponders alternate polarity and are offset in frequency much like two courses of bricks. Ka transponders also alternate polarity, but operate on the exact same frequency for adjacent even and odd transponders.

Because of the smaller guard frequenies between transponder channels and the overlapping structure of Ka vs. the offset used by Ku, Ka gives about 10% more usable bandwidth.
Ku usable bandwidth from 500mhz available is 384mhz.
Ka usable bandwidth from 500mhz available is 432mhz.

#136 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:30 PM

You can read and re post here for long period of time ... it will didn't change your LNBF to 4x or 6x; it's already complicated enough to give headache during manufacturing and installs.

#137 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:37 PM

You can read and re post here for long period of time ... it will didn't change your LNBF to 4x or 6x; it's already complicated enough to give headache during manufacturing and installs.

We're a long way from swapping out hardware, of course, but it is interesting that the 2 degree spacing was talked about long ago.

#138 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:55 PM

Sure, yes. My point is our dishes and LNBF still use 4 degree spacing.

BTW, I will remind you another factor - 12' dish has 1.4 degree diagram and can separate two sats at 2 degree spacing, yet 1m [39"] or worst 24".

#139 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 08:00 PM

Sure, yes. My point is our dishes and LNBF still use 4 degree spacing.

BTW, I will remind you another factor - 12' dish has 1.4 degree diagram and can separate two sats at 2 degree spacing, yet 1m [39"] or worst 24".

Well... The dish and LNBF only use 4° spacing for an individual frequency grouping, they use 2° spacing between LNBFs.

Another theory is that DIRECTV didn't want to manufacture an LNBF head that tried to fit both Ka and Ku at the 101° slot. Sure it can be done, but at what manufacturing precision and cost?

Perhaps 97° is a no brainer since there isn't anything else there.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#140 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 08:06 PM

Does DirecTv own the KA slow at 101?

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

Protected By... spam firewall...And...