Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV Satellite Discussion (D14 up next)

• Please log in to reply
1477 replies to this topic

#201 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,923 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:52 PM

See post#194 ...

So a good guess for D12's tps. 9 and 10 sending out a null packet stream with the same data, code rate, and modulation level as actual programming would be as a sort of "hot standby" possibly for ready reserve capacity available for quick emergency switchover?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#202 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,745 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:00 PM

Well, it's 'a place' opened for suggestions.

#203 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 06:03 AM

I've thought that they're using the D12 TP9/TP10 frequency range in some way but have been unable to prove. Have been basing this on 1) P. Smith showing activity for a while now, and 2) multiple references to bandwidth being tight and recently they've been taking down Cinema HD for each new HD channel instead of using bandwidth that would appear available.

If it was unused or reserve backup capacity then they could have used the bandwidth for new HD channels and just take down those Cinema HD if an issue arose.

There was also the possibility that they're awaiting some newer ground infrastructure, but again P. Smith shows activity.

As with the D12 "push" HD slots, been thinking that the mystery will eventually be figured out.

Edited by Sixto, 08 September 2011 - 06:10 AM.

DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#204 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,745 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:01 AM

Remember - I specifically mentioned geographic location of the observations: SFO.
As to PUSH - check your PM.

#205 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:41 PM

Interesting ... for Latin America ...

Intelsat Buying Two Satellites for Lease to DirecTV:

http://www.spacenews...se-directv.html

DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#206 OFFLINE   spear61

spear61

Godfather

• Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 10:01 AM

Interesting ... for Latin America ...

Intelsat Buying Two Satellites for Lease to DirecTV:

http://www.spacenews...se-directv.html

And negotiating for 4 launches with Arianespace.

#207 OFFLINE   spear61

spear61

Godfather

• Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 10:10 AM

FCC updated the rules for 17/24 Ghz BSS in June and existing licenses will be required to file MOD's (modification) to supplement technical info

Wow, it really gets complicated when they cluster the DBS and BSS satellites together.

http://transition.fc...FCC-11-93A1.pdf

Appendix D has a nice reference table of the ITU 17/24 BSS slots, the USA BSS slots and the USA DBS slots.

#208 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:03 PM

Arianespace to launch up to four satellites for DIRECTV:

http://www.arianespa...011-directv.asp

Arianespace to launch up to four satellites for DIRECTV

Evry, France, September 13, 2011

Arianespace announced today that it will launch two satellites for DIRECTV and has the option of launching another two satellites for one of the world’s leading providers of television entertainment services.

All four satellites will weigh in at over 6 metric tons and will be a part of a fleet expansion and replenishment program. The new satellites will strengthen DIRECTV's direct-to-home (DTH) digital entertainment services across the United States and, if the options are exercised, Latin America by increasing high-definition channel capacity, adding more 3D channels, and greatly expanding the DIRECTV Cinema movies experience.

The satellites will be launched on Ariane 5 from Europe's Spaceport in Kourou, French Guiana in 2014. DIRECTV-14 is currently being built by Space Systems LORAL of California. The DIRECTV-15 satellite is in the final stages of contract award.

"DIRECTV is pleased to be back with Arianespace and its high performance and highly reliable ARIANE-5 launch vehicle services,” said Romulo Pontual, Chief Technology Officer of DIRECTV. “We have the utmost confidence in this system’s design and in the depth of the organization behind this rocket. We have a long standing relationship with ARIANESPACE and we are happy to build upon that foundation of success.”

"It is a matter of great pride that DIRECTV has entrusted us with as many as four of their satellites," said Jean-Yves Le Gall, Chief Executive Officer of Arianespace. "An order of this magnitude confirms Arianespace's reputation as offering the most reliable launch service and solutions in the marketplace. We are excited to build upon a relationship that goes back nearly two decades, to the dawn of the direct-to-home revolution, when Arianespace launched DBS-1 for DIRECTV."

DirecTV Taps Arianespace for At Least Two Launches:

http://www.spacenews...e-launches.html

Arianespace to launch satellites for DirecTV:

http://www.broadband...es-for-directv/

Edited by Tom Robertson, 13 September 2011 - 05:24 PM.
Added press release (no copyright issue)

#209 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:12 PM

DIRECTV 15, first time I've seen that mentioned. Wonder if White will bring it up on Thursdays conference call?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#210 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:42 PM

DIRECTV 15, first time I've seen that mentioned. Wonder if White will bring it up on Thursdays conference call?

Indeed. And will it be part of the "expansion" or "replenishment" of the constellation? I've pointed out several times that some of the Ku satellites are getting to the point where replacement has to at least be on Directv's long-term technology roadmap.

In any event, I've been expecting to see a contract award soon and thought it would likely go to Arianespace. Proton has had several failures in recent years (including its last launch just last month), SeaLaunch has gone through bankruptcy and reorganization but hasn't made a successful launch since (one is scheduled in the next 2 weeks however), ILS is too expensive, and SpaceX has yet to launch any satellite beyond low-earth orbit and their proposed vehicle has only two launches in its entire flight history.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#211 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,923 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:26 PM

From the first link by Sixto;

... The contract includes options to launch two more satellites for DirecTV for its DirecTV Latin America subsidiary. That company has just booked almost all the capacity on two large satellites to be built for satellite fleet operator Intelsat of Washington and Luxembourg.

Intelsat has said it will determine which rocket will launch these two spacecraft, named Intelsat 30 and Intelsat 31, both to be used mainly by DirecTV Latin America for the satellites’ full 15-year lives. Nonetheless, industry officials have said the two spacecraft might end up being the two that cover the DirecTV launch options with Evry, France-based Arianespace.

Sort of confusing here, DIRECTV is only to lease capacity on the future Intelsat 30 and 31 primarily for DIRECTV LA service. So how do they award contract options to Arianespace for launching them instead of the actual owners Intelsat as the second paragraph shows? :confused:

#212 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:36 PM

Sort of confusing here, DIRECTV is only to lease capacity on the future Intelsat 30 and 31 primarily for DIRECTV LA service. So how do they award contract options to Arianespace for launching them instead of the actual owners Intelsat as the second paragraph shows? :confused:

It is confusing, isn't it? It's possible that Intelsat gives their primary planned lessee (in this case, Directv), some say in who launches their payload. Perhaps in this case, Directv has negotiated certain launch terms and pricing from Arianespace on the basis of those 2 launches + 2 options, and is assigning those terms to Intelsat (cheaper launch price than maybe Intelsat could get themselves) in exchange for discounted lease rates for the satellite capacity that Directv needs.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#213 OFFLINE   Nighthawk68

Nighthawk68

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 348 posts
  • LocationNorthern Michigan

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:29 PM

If Directv is going to use D15 for a replacement at say 101, would it make sense to make all channels mpeg4? sure it would be nice to have all replaced with HD, but we all know that isn't going to happen. However, mpeg4 would make the SD channels look better.

Just a thought.

#214 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:31 PM

If Directv is going to use D15 for a replacement at say 101, would it make sense to make all channels mpeg4? sure it would be nice to have all replaced with HD, but we all know that isn't going to happen. However, mpeg4 would make the SD channels look better.

Just a thought.

Satellite has nothing to do with a channel being in MPEG2 or MPEG4, to them it's just ones and zeros.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#215 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,697 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:34 PM

So now we have to wait until 2014 for D14 to launch??

The satellites will be launched on Ariane 5 from Europe's Spaceport in Kourou, French Guiana in 2014.

#216 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:41 PM

So now we have to wait until 2014 for D14 to launch??

That seems to be the case.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#217 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,697 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:42 PM

That seems to be the case.

Cheers,
Tom

Great. I guess we'll have to wait a little bit longer for more HD now.

#218 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:42 PM

Just a thought.

To expand upon Rad's answer, there still would need to be several billion dollars spent on replacing dishes and receivers before everything could go MPEG4. Ain't gonna happen for a long time.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#219 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:12 PM

There's been alot of mystery (at least for me!) about DirecTV-15, which I've always expected is RB-2.

RB-2 has been assigned by the FCC, we've talked about it, but I've never found any reference to the build of it anywhere. Finally today we have some more info.

#220 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:28 PM

Great. I guess we'll have to wait a little bit longer for more HD now.

Never say never. :)

spam firewall