Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV Satellite Discussion (D14 up next)

• Please log in to reply
1311 replies to this topic

#841 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,816 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:53 AM

This is the key to all of this. Any theory that has as a consequence that Slimline LNBs will have their reception of existing signals degraded once the RDBS satellites are lit up, due to interference, is obviously wrong. Either the Slimline LNB avoids this through its design, by filtering or properly receiving these signals, or there will be no signal interference. ...

Totally agree.

... Didn't I read that there are already some test RDBS signals being broadcast from one of the existing satellites? If that's the case, we already know that RDBS doesn't interfere with reception of Ka band with either the Slimline or AT-9.

Yes, possibly the "RB-2A" reverse band payload on D12 at 103;

Satellite footprints for RB-2A spot-beamed into four (maybe test?) markets;

http://www.dbstalk.c...rary/?p=2710706

... That says nothing about whether either or both will be able to receive RDBS signals without a new LNB or entirely new dish, but it would show that both signals can coexist without causing any problems for current equipment.

Again, completely agree.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#842 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,392 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:09 PM

As I've said repeatedly, the current dish doesn't try to grab signals that are closer together with respect to wavelength from the same satellite. DIRECTV's testing has spoken to Ku vs Ka using materials that differentiate based on the difference in wavelengths that is less between Ku and RDBS. Thinking of the proposed situation at 101W, we know that to be optimal, the antennae need to be arranged at different distances from the ground plane and of different lengths.

The only thing that you seem to be repeating is how you don't understand how the process works.

The more you post, the clearer it is that you haven't a clue.

"As an example":

The two probes/pickups in WRC727D1 [15.9-21.9 GHz] circular waveguide will be 1/4 wavelength ± 5º from "your ground plane".

Ku & RDBS will not coexist in the same waveguide, while Ka & RDBS will.

• LameLefty likes this
A.K.A VOS

#843 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:38 AM

More on 79W: http://licensing.fcc...ent_key=1004700

"As originally envisioned and currently authorized, DIRECTV KU-79W would be capable of operating one downlink beam serving DIRECTV subscribers in the continental United States and a second downlink beam serving Sky Mexico subscribers in Mexico, Central America, and portions of the Caribbean. DIRECTV is currently in the process of constructing two Ka-band satellites (DIRECTV 14 and 15) that, when launched over the next two years, will add significant capacity for service to the United States.
In light of this, DIRECTV decided to delete the U.S. beam and optimize DIRECTV KU-79W for service to Mexico, where it can be used to expand DTVLA’s capabilities in order to support the ongoing transition to HD services in Mexico."

DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

DirecTV HD Channel Listing - 2011 DBSTalk HD Poll - 2010 DBSTalk HD Poll - Satellite & National HD Alerts

#844 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,040 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:25 AM

More on 79W: http://licensing.fcc...ent_key=1004700

"As originally envisioned and currently authorized, DIRECTV KU-79W would be capable of operating one downlink beam serving DIRECTV subscribers in the continental United States and a second downlink beam serving Sky Mexico subscribers in Mexico, Central America, and portions of the Caribbean. DIRECTV is currently in the process of constructing two Ka-band satellites (DIRECTV 14 and 15) that, when launched over the next two years, will add significant capacity for service to the United States.
In light of this, DIRECTV decided to delete the U.S. beam and optimize DIRECTV KU-79W for service to Mexico, where it can be used to expand DTVLA’s capabilities in order to support the ongoing transition to HD services in Mexico."

That's a very good idea. Adding 79º spectrum for CONUS customers would add a lot of hardware (LNBs and probably a whole new ODU) for what would be at best a marginal increase in overall system bandwidth. Given the per-customer cost requirements to take advantage of it, it makes good sense to delete the capability.

What would be interesting for anyone who has the time and curiosity would be to dig around and see which other companies (if any) have FCC licenses for the 79º slot and see what they're using it for; Directv may have done some horse trading, giving up that slot in return for something else. Or not. It may just be as straightforward as it sounds.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#845 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:55 AM

Yep LL, be cool to give up 79º to advantage something else, we'll see.

DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

DirecTV HD Channel Listing - 2011 DBSTalk HD Poll - 2010 DBSTalk HD Poll - Satellite & National HD Alerts

#846 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,816 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:15 PM

What I question is since SKY Mexico currently uses the Ku band payload on an Intelsat bird at 58w, how does a new proposed satellite way over at 79w fit in to the service?

Create a new two position elliptical dish covering a 21 degree span?

A two dish solution?

Or abandon use of satellites at 58w and re-align all SKY Mexico sub's dishes over time to 79w?   

#847 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:17 AM

DirecTV 1R (from 7/30/2013, yesterday): http://licensing.fcc...ent_key=1005539

#848 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,823 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:11 AM

55.8E?

That represents a service area including Iran, Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan, Pakistan and on up to Kazakhstan.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#849 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,786 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:35 AM

55.8E?

That represents a service area including Iran, Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan, Pakistan and on up to Kazakhstan.

Yep, they're leasing it to a Russian company, http://www.spacenews...backup-purposes .

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#850 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,816 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:03 AM

Yep, they're leasing it to a Russian company, http://www.spacenews...backup-purposes .

Though the Spacenews article isn't completely accurate as to D1R's recent history;

D1R hasn't been at the 101 slot in years, but after long serving at 72.5 was maneuvered to 110 to briefly serve as a backup to D5 (Tempo 1). Then just as DIRECTV changed their mind and decided to dispose of D1R from there, they received the request from the RSCC for it, so was moved from 110 to (eventually) 55.8 E.  

#851 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:46 AM

Lyngsat has DIRECTV14 as a 1/15/2014 to 3/1/2014 launch.

HR34-700
HR24-200
HR24-200

#852 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,671 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:54 AM

So they are going to use it to serve terrorist nations? Lovely.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#853 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,336 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:09 AM

it's money, boatload of money, dude ! :)

#854 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,671 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:52 AM

it's money, boatload of money, dude ! :)

True, money talks!

Now funnel that money into a massive HD channel expansion as soon as D14 is deemed operational!

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#855 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,816 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:15 PM

Lyngsat has DIRECTV14 as a 1/15/2014 to 3/1/2014 launch.

Yeah, that's simply the launch window posted in D14's Schedule S filed with the FCC last year sometime.

Lyngsat is posting old news on this.

#856 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,816 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:04 AM

Man ... I usually checkout the FCC's IBFS website every two or three days for any new satellite filings by DIRECTV, principally for news on D14 and D15 and for Intelsat Int'l about anything on IS30 and IS31 for DIRECTV LA. Though Sixto usually beats me to it. :)

And the site is offline right now due to the government shutdown ... LOL.  

Edited by HoTat2, 03 October 2013 - 09:06 AM.

#857 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:27 PM

Yep, noticed that yesterday. Down.

#858 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,040 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:56 PM

So has anyone else posted this and I just missed it? Without access to FCC filings, I'm feeling annoyingly cut off. :rolleyes:

http://www.arianespa...013-DIRECTV.asp

Arianespace to launch a small Direct to Home satellite for DIRECTV

Paris, September 9, 2013

Arianespace and DIRECTV announced today a launch contract for a small DTH satellite. The launch will take place in the second half of 2015 from Europe’s Spaceport in French Guiana on an Ariane 5.

DIRECTV, one of the world’s leading providers of television entertainment services, will utilize the satellite capacity to expand the delivery of high definition, 3-D television and cinema programming.

The satellite, built by Orbital and based on the Star 2 platform, will have a mass of approximately 3.2 metric tons at launch.

“We are honored that DIRECTV has entrusted yet another satellite launch to Arianespace. This 11th contract inked with DIRECTV reflects the adaptability of our services, which allows us to offer launches for both three-ton and six-ton satellites,” said Stéphane Israël, Chairman & CEO of Arianespace.

Any ideas what role it will play in the Directv fleet? That size is much smaller than the most recent Spaceway 1 & 2/D10/11/12/14/15 class Ka fleet. I wonder if it's for upgrades to the legacy Ku fleet. I'd love to hear some informed speculation from you guys.

Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#859 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,786 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:08 PM

I think it was mentioned before that it's going to DIRECTV-LA and not for the US market.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#860 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,040 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:15 PM

I think it was mentioned before that it's going to DIRECTV-LA and not for the US market.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

Well, there's other stuff in there about the Intelsat leased capacity for Latin America. The first one of those is going up on Arianespace too:

http://www.arianespa...32Satellite.asp

I'm pretty sure those birds are large Astrium platforms though, like Directv 15, not the smaller Orbital platform mentioned in the press release I linked first.  

EDITED TO ADD:

Okay did some more digging and it appears you're right, RAD. The tentative Arianespace manifest lists "DIRECTV INNOVA/SKY MEXICO 1" for the second half of 2015. That seems to fit their earlier description of the satellite as a "small Direct-to-Home", when with Orbital's description of this type of satellite bus:

Because Orbital STAR satellites are smaller and significantly less expensive to manufacture and launch, they are an ideal fit for established companies that wish add incremental capacity for their network or provide back-up capacity for key customers.

http://www.orbital.c...ons/index.shtml

Orbital Fact Sheet, just FYI:

http://www.orbital.c...tarBus_fact.pdf

The Arianespace launch manifest also lists Directv 15 as "End of year" 2014. While I'm glad Directv is booking all their flights on Arianespace (currently the most reliable commercial launch provider), they are also widely regarded as the most expensive. Will be good to see SpaceX get a number of successful GTO missions over the next year or 2 in order to put some more downward pressure on launch prices. It would also be really good if ILS gets Proton reliability back up to something reasonable. Between their problems and SeaLaunch's failures (and subsequent corporate collapse), there isn't enough competition in the global GTO launch market.

Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

spam firewall