Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV Satellite Discussion (D14 up next)

• Please log in to reply
1477 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   spear61

spear61

Godfather

• Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:25 PM

"For example, Canada has licensed one 17/24 GHz BSS operator at 111.1° W.L. and another at 113° W.L."

I wonder about this statement since Industry Canada shows no operating or authorized but unconstructed BSS satellites at those slots.

Authorized and Approved Canadian Satellites

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,923 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:36 PM

So let me get this straight;

DIRECTV initially had three satellites to be constructed by SS/L, which I assume were DIRECTV14/RB-1 (99W), RB-2 (103W), and RB-4 (110W) (since RB-3 at 107W) was previously surrendered).

Therefore now with RB-4 being surrendered, that currently leaves only DIRECTV14/RB-1 and RB-2 to be made by SS/L?

#83 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:00 PM

So let me get this straight;

DIRECTV initially had three satellites to be constructed by SS/L, which I assume were DIRECTV14/RB-1 (99W), RB-2 (103W), and RB-4 (110W) (since RB-3 at 107W) was previously surrendered).

Therefore now with RB-4 being surrendered, that currently leaves only DIRECTV14/RB-1 and RB-2 to be made by SS/L?

The only question I have is are D14 and RB-1 the same satellite or two satellites? Otherwise I think you are spot on.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#84 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,923 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:58 PM

The only question I have is are D14 and RB-1 the same satellite or two satellites? Otherwise I think you are spot on.

Cheers,
Tom

The original SS/L press release for DIRECTV-14 linked to on page one of this thread mentions more than once of an "RDBS" payload in addition to the Ka-band one.

So I think they must be the same, though calling it simply "RB-1" in the FCC correspondence without ever mentioning it as actually a Ka/RB-1 band hybrid is confusing.

#85 OFFLINE   spear61

spear61

Godfather

• Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:11 PM

The original SS/L press release for DIRECTV-14 linked to on page one of this thread mentions more than once of an "RDBS" payload in addition to the Ka-band one.

So I think they must be the same, though calling it simply "RB-1" in the FCC correspondence without ever mentioning it as actually a Ka/RB-1 band hybrid is confusing.

If D14 is BSS 17Ghz/KA it should be in this report

2011 BSS 17 Ghz/KA Report

#86 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,948 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:28 PM

Yes it is confusing, somewhat by necessity. One spacecraft with separate FCC licensing for the Ka and BSS portions of the payload.

#87 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:46 PM

!rolling and I was the one who put the full press release into RAD's post last year. :)

I'm pretty sure you are correct, thanks for reminding me. :)

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#88 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,923 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 02:36 AM

If D14 is BSS 17Ghz/KA it should be in this report

2011 BSS 17 Ghz/KA Report

Well I guess it should show in that annual report, but strangely it doesn't. Only the call letters S2711 for the RB-1 payload authorized at 99.175°.

So far there is no known (to us at least) listing for the Ka band payload aboard the future DIRECTV 14.

Again another nice find on that document though ...

#89 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,923 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 02:48 AM

!rolling and I was the one who put the full press release into RAD's post last year. :)

I'm pretty sure you are correct, thanks for reminding me. :)

Cheers,
Tom

Yes, and with the info in the additional document linked by spear61 is seems DIRECTV now has three BSS slots remaining.

99.175° for D14/RB-1, 102.765° apparently for the present RB-2A spot beam payload aboard D12 which is preliminary for RB-2 at 102.825° with full national coverage.

#90 OFFLINE   spear61

spear61

Godfather

• Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 02:57 PM

There were a bunch of KA band filings for 97W from three companies on the day the server crashed - Directv, Hughes, and Inmarsat Hawaii.

Most of them were filed within seconds or a minute of each other.
Going to be interesting to see how it shakes out. Sometimes, one gets it all and other times, they each get a percentage of the slot. Not sure how KA awards work.

I recall Echostar abandoning a KA slot a year or so ago. Can't remember where it was but this might be it.

Example filing - Directv

#91 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,734 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 11 August 2011 - 03:43 PM

There were a bunch of KA band filings for 97W from three companies on the day the server crashed - Directv, Hughes, and Inmarsat Hawaii.

Most of them were filed within seconds or a minute of each other.
Going to be interesting to see how it shakes out. Sometimes, one gets it all and other times, they each get a percentage of the slot. Not sure how KA awards work.

I recall Echostar abandoning a KA slot a year or so ago. Can't remember where it was but this might be it.

Example filing - Directv

Is this to be run on existing Ka compatible equipment, or is this for new (future) satellite launches?

That would be a surprise increase in bandwidth if there was an existing bird out there that did Ku and Ka, but the Ka was just disabled all this time until a proper license could be granted.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#92 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 05:13 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I used to check daily but hadn't checked in a while. Gotta get my checker running again on 64bit.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#93 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 05:22 PM

Is this to be run on existing Ka compatible equipment, or is this for new (future) satellite launches?

That would be a surprise increase in bandwidth if there was an existing bird out there that did Ku and Ka, but the Ka was just disabled all this time until a proper license could be granted.

This is for the 97W slot. Directv holds a BSS license for that slot - it would be additional bandwidth but would require (at the least) a new LNB, since 97W is not part of the "core" 99-101-103 Directv arc of orbital slots.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#94 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 05:28 PM

This would be a really cool slot to get, with 48 transponders!

Here's one of the more interesting documents:

http://licensing.fcc...ment_key=910785

DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#95 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 05:45 PM

Using these uplink facilities, the DIRECTV 97W system and associated ground Ka-band assets will be capable of transmitting over 200 channels of HD programming.

Is that 200 more, or the 200 they already have? Would they just move the two spaceways over there, and use that slot for as the application said, niche, foreign language, etc? Or are they talking about a new satellite they havent launched yet, which would be years down the pipe?

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#96 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 06:35 PM

It's interesting that, according to that document, the only other ITU applications for the slot are from the UK, Papua New Guinea and Malaysia. I mean, WTF seriously? Those countries aren't anywhere close to 97W longitude.

Have you had the time to pull and research the document mentioned in Footnote 1 to see how/why this Ka slot came open? I'm curious is Directv will use any of its currently-licensed BSS slots as bargaining fodder to smooth this application. It seems to me that additional Ka bandwidth would better fit Directv's existing systems and plans than BSS systems, but I could be wrong.

EDITED TO ADD: Okay, the footnote refers to Echostar's surrendered license for that location.

Edited by LameLefty, 11 August 2011 - 06:42 PM.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#97 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,923 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:02 PM

Anybody got the link for the accompanying Schedule S for this LOA request?

#98 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:27 PM

Is that 200 more, or the 200 they already have? Would they just move the two spaceways over there, and use that slot for as the application said, niche, foreign language, etc? Or are they talking about a new satellite they havent launched yet, which would be years down the pipe?

240 more, assuming 5 per, which may be low considering newer technologies and the switch to SS/L for the sats.

#99 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:30 PM

Have you had the time to pull and research the document mentioned in Footnote 1 to see how/why this Ka slot came open?

Yep, Echostar, but I thought that was long ago. Haven't had time to dig much yet, been away. Man, I need to fix my FCC checker (broke when I switched to 64bit), also some recent changes to RB-1 and RB-2 for Puerto Rico and location.

#100 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:31 PM

Anybody got the link for the accompanying Schedule S for this LOA request?

Yep, it's out there. Will attach here.

spam firewall