Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR-20: Scandisk...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rockermann

Rockermann

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 06:52 AM

Guys,

I've been having trouble with one of my HR-20s. It had been randomly rebooting for about a month. First a couple times a week, more recenltly about once a day. Yesterday morning I awoke to find it running a scandisk. It said problems had been found on the hard drive etc. It was at about 40%. It's now been over 24 hours and it's at about 91%. :confused:

I've tried to be patient as we have several recordings on the drive I'd like to save, but I'm beginning to wonder. I'm going to give it till after work today and if it's not done by then, I'm likely to pull the plug and see what happens.

It's been mentioned that I could reformat the hard drive and see if that fixes the problem. What is the procedure for that on start up? A CSR told me on the phone, but I can't see to find my notes.

Any other ideas? Time for a replacement DVR? I wouldn't mind having one of the new HR-24s.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Steve M. Mann
Panasonic AR100U Projector
Carada 126" 16:9 Fixed Screen
2 - HR24/500 HD PVRs
My Theater
My Theater Construction

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tunce

tunce

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 07:01 AM

I had the same problem with a HR21-700. I did not have a external drive to add to it but I did have a 500gb internal drive just laying around so I put it in the case and it fixed it instantly!

(I know your not suppose to do that but don't care at the moment, we needed TV to watch and I was not going to let directv send me a new box and then I will have a new 2 year agreement with them. I have been out of that for a year now!)
Tunce

HR34-700 w/AM21 | HR20-700 | H21-200 | SWiM | Slimline 3
Whole Home - External Antenna

#3 OFFLINE   Rockermann

Rockermann

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 07:09 AM

Right, I forgot to mention that there is no external drive or mods on this DVR. This one is all 'factory specs'.

After being with D* for over ten years now, I'm not too concerned about a new 2 year commitment if I have to go that route for a new box.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Steve M. Mann
2 - HR24/500 HD PVRs
My Theater
My Theater Construction

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 08:51 AM

Right, I forgot to mention that there is no external drive or mods on this DVR. This one is all 'factory specs'.

After being with D* for over ten years now, I'm not too concerned about a new 2 year commitment if I have to go that route for a new box.

Someone let theirs finish the scan [maybe 30 hours] and it worked after.
I can no longer reformat the drive. The steps that used to do it have been changed to a even longer, more extensive disk scan.
The steps are:
Reboot and at "almost there", press the front panel record button & the down arrow and hold both until you see the disk scan screen and the record light on. With a good drive, this takes about 2.5 hours with a 300 GB drive.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   Rockermann

Rockermann

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:10 AM

Someone let theirs finish the scan [maybe 30 hours] and it worked after.

Cool... I'm approaching that time frame. I'll keep my fingers crossed for when I get home today after work.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Steve M. Mann
2 - HR24/500 HD PVRs
My Theater
My Theater Construction

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:32 AM

Cool... I'm approaching that time frame. I'll keep my fingers crossed for when I get home today after work.

If it does finish, I'd wait until I had a few hours free [no recordings, etc.] and run the front panel scan and see how long this takes to complete. I'd do this to simply build some confidence in the drive. If it finishes within the "normal time", I'd feel better about the drive status/condition.
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,839 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:41 AM

You could speed up the HDD tests and get more info - SMART log - and do real remapping of bad/weak sectors, if you could open a hood and connect by long SATA cable the drive to PC by using the programs http://www.dbstalk.c...350#post2504350. Normal disk scan taking 1+ hour, remap is depend of how many bad sectors it will find, usually a few hours.

#8 OFFLINE   tunce

tunce

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:44 AM

Well I am getting to the point that 100 dollars a month for TV is reaching the "you got to be kidding me" level. So we have been thinking about canceling the service all together and go to OTA only.

With money being tight due to the CRAPPY economy $100 dollars a month can pay for other necessities.

I also have been with Directv since 1998 and remember when my bill was 25 bucks for everything but premium channels. :nono:
Tunce

#9 OFFLINE   Rockermann

Rockermann

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:03 AM

Well I am getting to the point that 100 dollars a month for TV is reaching the "you got to be kidding me" level...

I hear you on that. We've had the same discussions in our household. We know that should anything happen with our job situations or the economy, TV is the first thing to get 'adjusted'. I'm a Premium Package, Sunday Ticket and MLB EI subscriber, so there's certainly plenty of room for me to trim down if need be. I just hope it doesn't come to that.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Steve M. Mann
2 - HR24/500 HD PVRs
My Theater
My Theater Construction

#10 OFFLINE   Rockermann

Rockermann

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:04 AM

If it does finish, I'd wait until I had a few hours free [no recordings, etc.] and run the front panel scan and see how long this takes to complete. I'd do this to simply build some confidence in the drive. If it finishes within the "normal time", I'd feel better about the drive status/condition.

Good advice. I'll try to free up the time to do that if it comes back up after the current scan.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Steve M. Mann
2 - HR24/500 HD PVRs
My Theater
My Theater Construction

#11 OFFLINE   Rockermann

Rockermann

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:06 AM

You could speed up the HDD tests and get more info - SMART log - and do real remapping of bad/weak sectors, if you could open a hood and connect by long SATA cable the drive to PC by using the programs http://www.dbstalk.c...350#post2504350. Normal disk scan taking 1+ hour, remap is depend of how many bad sectors it will find, usually a few hours.

Thanks for this information. If it fails after the current scan I may try this. Or just break down and buy the HR24.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Steve M. Mann
2 - HR24/500 HD PVRs
My Theater
My Theater Construction

#12 OFFLINE   Rockermann

Rockermann

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 11:47 AM

Stopped home at lunch. The scandisk is FINALLY done. It appears everything is working as normal. All the shows are there and random ones played fine on testing. I'll need to do a manual scan as suggested to gain some confidence, but we'll see. It's my guess it'll start rebooting like it was before. I hope not...
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Steve M. Mann
2 - HR24/500 HD PVRs
My Theater
My Theater Construction

#13 OFFLINE   tunce

tunce

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 01:35 PM

I hope all is good with it now Rockermann! Mine did that and just kept doing that for months until I switched the hard drive now all is good.
Tunce

#14 OFFLINE   Rockermann

Rockermann

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 01:56 PM

Thanks, tunce. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Steve M. Mann
2 - HR24/500 HD PVRs
My Theater
My Theater Construction

Protected By... spam firewall...And...