Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR24 - Buy or Lease?

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rockermann

Rockermann

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 07:55 AM

Folks,

If I end up having to replace my failing HR20, should I buy or lease? I'm really wanting a HR24, so if I buy, I'd be sure that's what I get. As I understand it, D* cannot guarantee I'll get a HR24 if I'm sent a replacement.

I read the following on Amazon's site:
...and most important, THIS IS A LEASE. You are not actually buying this DVR, and you do not own this DVR. The Amazon price (or anyone else's "retail" price) is actually a LEASE FEE. Once the unit has been activated with DirecTV, you cannot return it or resell it later. Legally it is the property of DirecTV. If you ever terminate service, you will have to ship it back to DirecTV. (This is why you basically never want to "buy" one of these from swap meets or private parties.)

Is all that true? If so, then I guess the only question is whether to pay up front or the $5 a month.

I'm a 10 year plus customer at D*. Don't know if that will help my case, but if you had a failing HR20 that's currently 'leased', wanted a new HR24, how would you go about it?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Steve M. Mann
Panasonic AR100U Projector
Carada 126" 16:9 Fixed Screen
2 - HR24/500 HD PVRs
My Theater
My Theater Construction

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,944 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 08:12 AM

Folks,

If I end up having to replace my failing HR20, should I buy or lease? I'm really wanting a HR24, so if I buy, I'd be sure that's what I get. As I understand it, D* cannot guarantee I'll get a HR24 if I'm sent a replacement.

I read the following on Amazon's site:
...and most important, THIS IS A LEASE. You are not actually buying this DVR, and you do not own this DVR. The Amazon price (or anyone else's "retail" price) is actually a LEASE FEE. Once the unit has been activated with DirecTV, you cannot return it or resell it later. Legally it is the property of DirecTV. If you ever terminate service, you will have to ship it back to DirecTV. (This is why you basically never want to "buy" one of these from swap meets or private parties.)

Is all that true? If so, then I guess the only question is whether to pay up front or the $5 a month.

I'm a 10 year plus customer at D*. Don't know if that will help my case, but if you had a failing HR20 that's currently 'leased', wanted a new HR24, how would you go about it?

Yes that is all true.

There are those here who have obtained owned HR24s. It can be done. However, if someone is trying to sell you an owned HR24, get the RID and verify that it's actually owned and a lease.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#3 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 08:27 AM

A leased receiver will get replaced with another leased receiver of the same type. So, an HD-DVR will get replaced with an HD-DVR. You don't get to pick the exact model number, and DirecTV's system is not set up to fulfill anything by model number. You could get anything from an HR20 to an HR24. That's how the lease model works.

If you want to buy an HR24, you have two options: purchase directly from DirecTV, or try to find one of the relatively few owned units for sale on this site or on eBay. They are rare, but they do exist.

You can also lease an HR24 directly from a retailer that has one. Note, though, that like any leased receiver, if it were to die a day later, it could be replaced with any HD-DVR model.

The whole point of the lease model is that the receiver isn't yours; it's DirecTV's. By setting up this system, where they can give you any model in that receiver family, they save lots of money, and can afford to lease you the equipment at a much lower price than the old days, when you had to buy your receivers (the HR10-250 was $1000!). But the trade-off is that there is no guarentee of any specific model.

#4 OFFLINE   Rockermann

Rockermann

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 08:45 AM

Excellent summation, BattleZone. Thanks for the info. I guess I have to decide if leasing a HR24 from a third party is worth the gamble. It'd be my luck, it'd go belly up after a week. But, I sure don't want to play DVR Russian Roulette and end up with a HR21/22/23 and be disappointed with performance.

What a conundrum.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Steve M. Mann
2 - HR24/500 HD PVRs
My Theater
My Theater Construction

#5 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,477 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 08:51 AM

From what my Installer told me Directv is trying to get rid of the HR20 DBRs so he replaced mine with an HR24-500 for Free!!! Yes it is a Leased unit but I would try to have it Replaced as my installer only had HR24s on his truck.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#6 OFFLINE   Rockermann

Rockermann

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:07 AM

That's a good point. I read that elsewhere, that it would be good to have an installer replace the DVR as they were likely to have the HR24s on their truck. I'll have to consider that.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Steve M. Mann
2 - HR24/500 HD PVRs
My Theater
My Theater Construction

#7 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,064 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:39 AM

Some people have reported getting a credit from Directv after leasing a HR24 from a dealer. It never hurts to ask. This may cover most or all of the up-front lease fee. You will still pay $5/month when adding a receiver no matter if it is leased or owned.

#8 OFFLINE   drpjr

drpjr

Icon

• Registered
  • 722 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:07 AM

Excellent summation, BattleZone. Thanks for the info. I guess I have to decide if leasing a HR24 from a third party is worth the gamble. It'd be my luck, it'd go belly up after a week. But, I sure don't want to play DVR Russian Roulette and end up with a HR21/22/23 and be disappointed with performance.

What a conundrum.

Have you looked at your account online? As a long time customer you might be entitled to a free upgrade. If so that could go in your favor when asking for a credit to "purchase" the model you want from a retailer. (since they were going to give you a free one anyway;)). You could get a credit just for asking. As BattleZone says they can replace an HR24 with any other model if it breaks. However if I "bought' an HR24 and it died I would not accept and would send back everything but another HR24.
HR34/HR24-500/Mits WD73C8
HR20-100 HR24-500//Samsung UN55F6350AF
SWiM Network w/MRV
AT&T 2Wire Gateway Modem/Router

#9 OFFLINE   Rockermann

Rockermann

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:07 AM

Some people have reported getting a credit from Directv after leasing a HR24 from a dealer. It never hurts to ask. This may cover most or all of the up-front lease fee. You will still pay $5/month when adding a receiver no matter if it is leased or owned.

Thanks... I'll keep that in mind. I see I'm eligible for a $99 HD DVR replacement from DirecTV right now. Hopefully, I could get that same discount at least.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Steve M. Mann
2 - HR24/500 HD PVRs
My Theater
My Theater Construction

#10 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:09 AM

What a conundrum.

I'm not sure you understand what is going on here. No matter where you get the HR24 from you will actually be leasing it from DirecTV. The "seller" is just the distributor, you don't lease from them. So if you were to lease one from a place like Solid Signal, and they went out of business it wouldn't be a problem because your lease is actually with DirecTV and they will take care of you if the receiver dies.

Also, just so you know, even if you find an owned receiver to buy you will still have to pay $5 per month for them to mirror your programming to the receiver (unless it is your only receiver then the cost is included in your package cost).

#11 OFFLINE   Rockermann

Rockermann

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:12 AM

So, BeerStalker, I guess it doesn't really make a difference about buying or leasing. Though it does seem leasing is the better option as I still have to pay the $5 no matter what. I just need to get the DVR from a third party to make sure I'm getting the one I want. Is that about it?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Steve M. Mann
2 - HR24/500 HD PVRs
My Theater
My Theater Construction

#12 OFFLINE   drpjr

drpjr

Icon

• Registered
  • 722 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:22 AM

So, BeerStalker, I guess it doesn't really make a difference about buying or leasing. Though it does seem leasing is the better option as I still have to pay the $5 no matter what. I just need to get the DVR from a third party to make sure I'm getting the one I want. Is that about it?

The biggest difference is money. Buying to own will set you back $400-500 from D. (no discounts). Purchasing a leased box will cost anywhere from $0 to $199 depending on the retailer and the credits you can get from D. Also if you buy to own you will probably want to get the Protection Plan ($5.99mo) to protect your ownership. Without it if you have to replace the box it will become leased.:( EDIT: Oh, and nice setup by the way.

Edited by drpjr, 18 June 2010 - 10:27 AM.

HR34/HR24-500/Mits WD73C8
HR20-100 HR24-500//Samsung UN55F6350AF
SWiM Network w/MRV
AT&T 2Wire Gateway Modem/Router

#13 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,174 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 June 2010 - 11:38 AM

A leased receiver will get replaced with another leased receiver of the same type. So, an HD-DVR will get replaced with an HD-DVR. You don't get to pick the exact model number, and DirecTV's system is not set up to fulfill anything by model number. You could get anything from an HR20 to an HR24. That's how the lease model works.

If you want to buy an HR24, you have two options: purchase directly from DirecTV, or try to find one of the relatively few owned units for sale on this site or on eBay. They are rare, but they do exist.

You can also lease an HR24 directly from a retailer that has one. Note, though, that like any leased receiver, if it were to die a day later, it could be replaced with any HD-DVR model.

The whole point of the lease model is that the receiver isn't yours; it's DirecTV's. By setting up this system, where they can give you any model in that receiver family, they save lots of money, and can afford to lease you the equipment at a much lower price than the old days, when you had to buy your receivers (the HR10-250 was $1000!). But the trade-off is that there is no guarentee of any specific model.

And yet, I always get the specific model I want. There are ways...

Rich

#14 OFFLINE   Rockermann

Rockermann

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 11:45 AM

And yet, I always get the specific model I want. There are ways...

Would you care to share?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Steve M. Mann
2 - HR24/500 HD PVRs
My Theater
My Theater Construction

#15 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,174 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 June 2010 - 12:14 PM

Would you care to share?

I have shared that knowledge many times. I hate reading threads to find info too, but it's what I do when I get stuck. The answers are there in the threads for anyone to read. By the way, I rarely have to pay any costs for the "new" receivers. How to do that is in the threads too.

Rich

Edited by Rich, 18 June 2010 - 01:47 PM.
basic stupidity.

#16 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 18 June 2010 - 12:18 PM

I have shared that knowledge many times. I hate reading threads to find info too, but it's what I do when I get stuck. The answers are there in the threads for anyone to read. By the way, I rarely have to pay any costs for the "new" receiver. How to that is in the threads too.

Rich

Well dang I want to know to. Any certain thread name I should look for? But you are subject to a new 2 year agreement right?

#17 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,174 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 June 2010 - 01:46 PM

Well dang I want to know to. Any certain thread name I should look for? But you are subject to a new 2 year agreement right?

I could have gotten around that, too, but I think I pushed it far enough. I sounded kinda snotty on that post and I apologize for that. That kind of info only goes out on PMs now. Basically, if you catch a CSR in a "power position" and are polite, you never know what you are gonna get. The folks at D* in certain positions have been pretty good about treating me well, especially those that realize what I went thru a couple years ago. Loyalty does seem to appreciated.

Rich

#18 OFFLINE   gryphoncub

gryphoncub

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 02:07 PM

I purchased a lease HR24 after getting confirmation that D* would credit my account. II made sure he noted the account as such. I received the HR24 today and will probably hook it up/activate it tomorrow. If D* refuses to issue the credit I will return the receiver to the merchant. I hope it goes ok.

#19 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 02:13 PM

That would really be bad to spend $199 on a new HR24, then it dies after a few weeks and is replaced by something like an HR21!! :eek2:

#20 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,174 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 June 2010 - 02:24 PM

That would really be bad to spend $199 on a new HR24, then it dies after a few weeks and is replaced by something like an HR21!! :eek2:

Happens all the time. That's when you have to push back. Politely and persistently. Sooner or later you'll get what you want.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...