Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR24 - Buy or Lease?

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,640 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:46 AM

Since day one.

Huh. They're usually pretty good about keeping things straight. You might try calling the access card team and tell them what's happening.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#102 OFFLINE   Mark L

Mark L

Godfather

• Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 01:47 AM

Nor should the 20-700s be lumped together with the rest of the HRs. The HR24 should have been the next HR after the 20-700.

Consider the statements above before replying to this post, please. It seems logical to me. Think of all the complaints and problems that could have been avoided.

I think today marks my third week with the 24 and if it makes it until tomorrow, that will be longer than my brand new 22 and my brand new 23 lasted. That's a pretty sad comment.

Think it was evolution? I don't. I think we got hosed. D* comes out with the 20-700s and then for almost four years we have to put up with inferior HRs? Then the 24 appears and suddenly we see what can be done. And what should have been done.

Rich

Best post I've read in some time :righton:

You took the words right out of my mouth.

DirecTV went the cheap route and gave us knowingly inferior hardware for many years, all in favor of securing contracts through its subscribers............. thus creating more profitability and driving up their stock price.

Corporate greed strikes yet again.

Thank God I still have my HR20-700, cause the other HR2*'s absolutely blow!

I'll be purchasing an "owned" HR20-700 from a member on here vs. leasing and paying a $200 fee for a "Russian roulette HR2*". I'm honestly not confident I'll be with DirecTV for 24 more months (after 8 years of service), so it's better to go this route.

As more bandwidth becomes available in the U.S., I have a strong feeling we'll see cable and satellite companies lose millions of subs, due to massively cheaper options for streaming television online.

DirecTV customer since October 2002, 5 LNB Slimline Dish, SWiM 16, Premiere package, HD package

9 receivers: (2) HR20-700s *1 Owned, (1) HR24-500 *Owned, (1) HR24-200, (1) HR24-100 (1) HR22-100, (1) HR23-700, (1) H21-700, (1) H24-100

#103 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,986 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:01 AM

DirecTV went the cheap route and gave us knowingly inferior hardware for many years, all in favor of securing contracts through its subscribers............. thus creating more profitability and driving up their stock price.

I'll be purchasing an "owned" HR20-700 from a member on here vs. leasing and paying a $200 fee for a "Russian roulette HR2*". I'm honestly not confident I'll be with DirecTV for 24 more months (after 8 years of service), so it's better to go this route.

As more bandwidth becomes available in the U.S., I have a strong feeling we'll see cable and satellite companies lose millions of subs, due to massively cheaper options for streaming television online.

To be fair, at the time the HR21 was released everyone was using the BCM7401 in their STBs; including TiVo HD, Dish Network DVRs, and Motorola to name a few.

I don’t really it’s fair to say they “knowingly” put out an inferior DVR. They didn’t say “hey, lets put out some crap so we can get lambasted by our subs and the forums...yeah, let’s do that.” :rolleyes:

Let’s not create some phantom conspiracy on DirecTV’s part to put out an inferior product for the sake of profits.

I think it’s far more likely that Broadcom had a single chip solution the replace the BCM7411/7038; after all Broadcom’s boasts the same 300MHz CPU and similar specs for the BCM7401. The DVR manufactures (all the major players and not just DirecTV) decided to go with it. So would that be a bad decision on DVR manufactures part or good marketing on Broadcom’s part. :grin:

I’ll concede that the BCM7401 never performed as well as expected and that the 24 series is far quicker than any previous HR2x. However, having had an HR20, 21, 23, 24, IMHO the HR20 was quicker than 21/23 but no where near the HR24. AAMOF, it’s closer in speed to the 21/23 than it is to the 24.

I really don’t like the inability to deliver a particular DVR to a customer. I think that model was based on having all the same features and expecting the same performance. They shot themselves in the foot with that one. :D

Hopefully they’ll stick with hardware that can handle the ever expanding feature sets and not lose performance. But, it’s certainly not a fair characterization to say they knew the performance would suck and did it anyway. The BCM7401 didn’t meet the expectations; no conspiracy to found. ;)

Mike

µß
Since it costs 1.66¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 3.32¢ worth.  That 3.32¢ is my own and not the 3.32¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#104 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:54 AM

To be fair, at the time the HR21 was released everyone was using the BCM7401 in their STBs; including TiVo HD, Dish Network DVRs, and Motorola to name a few.

I don’t really it’s fair to say they “knowingly” put out an inferior DVR. They didn’t say “hey, lets put out some crap so we can get lambasted by our subs and the forums...yeah, let’s do that.” :rolleyes:

No, they said "Hey, Motorola makes the best STBs, hands down, so let's do what they did!" :lol:
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#105 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,640 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:10 AM

I'm not too sure how long we'll have to wait for the streaming content to catch up with the PQ of the HRs when used on 1080p TV sets. I do think that the PQ of the Rokus is better than the HRs, but they only stream 720p and probably will continue to unless NetFlix starts streaming content at 1080i or higher. Their new boxes will do that and the older boxes will be getting an update soon that will allow, at least, the formerly top of the line XRs to get 1080p, but from where? I'm not interested in Amazon's streaming content, which is still in the 720p mode, or any other PPV movies. I haven't seen any mention of NetFlix upgrading to 1080 anything.

Rich

#106 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,640 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:17 AM

Let’s not create some phantom conspiracy on DirecTV’s part to put out an inferior product for the sake of profits.

I think it’s far more likely that Broadcom had a single chip solution the replace the BCM7411/7038; after all Broadcom’s boasts the same 300MHz CPU and similar specs for the BCM7401. The DVR manufactures (all the major players and not just DirecTV) decided to go with it. So would that be a bad decision on DVR manufactures part or good marketing on Broadcom’s part. :grin:

I’ll concede that the BCM7401 never performed as well as expected and that the 24 series is far quicker than any previous HR2x. However, having had an HR20, 21, 23, 24, IMHO the HR20 was quicker than 21/23 but no where near the HR24. AAMOF, it’s closer in speed to the 21/23 than it is to the 24.

I really don’t like the inability to deliver a particular DVR to a customer. I think that model was based on having all the same features and expecting the same performance. They shot themselves in the foot with that one. :D

Hopefully they’ll stick with hardware that can handle the ever expanding feature sets and not lose performance. But, it’s certainly not a fair characterization to say they knew the performance would suck and did it anyway. The BCM7401 didn’t meet the expectations; no conspiracy to found. ;)

Mike

I've been using a 24-500 and a 24-200 along with my nine 20-700s and I really don't notice much speed difference. My wife's 21-700 is noticeably slower than the first three I mentioned.

Did they release an inferior HR21-xxx (plus the 23 and the two 22s) knowing that the performance would be worse than the 20-700s? I think they went for cheaper STBs and let the chips fall where they did. They certainly knew the 21 series would be cheaper.

Rich

#107 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,640 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:21 AM

No, they said "Hey, Motorola makes the best STBs, hands down, so let's do what they did!" :lol:

I used to test Motorola cell phones. Got $125 each time. Took less than an hour each time and was near my home. Never got one to test that I liked or would have bought. They finally got exasperated and asked me what I wanted in a cell phone. I took out my LG and showed them. Been a long time since they called me and they moved, so...

Man, they had crappy phones.

Rich

#108 OFFLINE   hidef2010

hidef2010

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:56 AM

Hey guys, I am leasing an HR22-100 & H24-100 (2 year contract/ I am 2 months in), I was told that, if I wanted to buy/lease another receiver, say a new HR24-100 that my 2 year contract would start again from that point. Is this true?
Also, I already ran all the wires from my swim splitter to the other room of my potential new receiver, does D* have to send someone out to install it? I don't want to pay for a truck roll for something as simple as a hook up! I do home theatre set-up/calibration on the side, I am perfectly capable of doing this myself!

Any comments welcome!!
Thanks

Hidef2010

#109 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:00 PM

I made the mistake of buying a Motorola cell phone once. Now when it comes to business radios... they are the stuff baby. :D
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

#110 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:02 PM

Hey guys, I am leasing an HR22-100 & H24-100 (2 year contract/ I am 2 months in), I was told that, if I wanted to buy/lease another receiver, say a new HR24-100 that my 2 year contract would start again from that point. Is this true?
Also, I already ran all the wires from my swim splitter to the other room of my potential new receiver, does D* have to send someone out to install it? I don't want to pay for a truck roll for something as simple as a hook up! I do home theatre set-up/calibration on the side, I am perfectly capable of doing this myself!

Any comments welcome!!
Thanks

Hidef2010

If you leased one it would start your contract over again for 2 years. They would not have to come out and install it for you. Just a quick note (since I sell them all the time) that adding an owned receiver to your account doesn't extend your commitment, but since you are only 2 months in, I wouldn't consider that a deal breaker to add 2 months back on.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

#111 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,986 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:35 PM

I've been using a 24-500 and a 24-200 along with my nine 20-700s and I really don't notice much speed difference. My wife's 21-700 is noticeably slower than the first three I mentioned.

Did they release an inferior HR21-xxx (plus the 23 and the two 22s) knowing that the performance would be worse than the 20-700s? I think they went for cheaper STBs and let the chips fall where they did. They certainly knew the 21 series would be cheaper.

Rich

They, and a most other manufactures, went with the BMC7401 because it was a cheaper overall option than the two chip configuration (BCM7411/BCM7038). That in no way means they intended to sacrifice performance for price. Of course it’s only speculation on our part either way. Personally, I think it was a way to reduce the cost and it backfired by not holding up to the increases in functionality.

IMHO, my HR21-100 is slower then when I first got it. I ran it side by side with my HR20-700 and there was no where near the speed difference that I notice today. This seems to indicate that the functionality has outgrown the system which is based on 2006 capabilities. The all in one option doesn’t seem to have handled the increased load very gracefully. Of course this is just a guess and I have no idea what they were thinking.

I’m sure that’s why the 24 Series is based on having more horse power. They saw this coming and stepped up to deal with it. I have no idea how long the HR24 has been in testing but I’ll bet it goes back a ways. They took the bull by the horns and came up with a new platform that will to handle the ever added functionality.

It is what it is. If we assume DirecTV intended to sacrifice performance (which I don't believe) then that would have to extend to that to all the other manufacturers who went with the 7401. :shrug:

Mike

µß
Since it costs 1.66¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 3.32¢ worth.  That 3.32¢ is my own and not the 3.32¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#112 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,640 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 September 2010 - 01:11 PM

I made the mistake of buying a Motorola cell phone once. Now when it comes to business radios... they are the stuff baby. :D

Agreed, but they've had a kind of monopoly on them for a long time. The cell phones were terrible, but they were prototypes. I don't mean to give the impression that all Motorola phones are crap, just the prototypes that I tested.

Rich

#113 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,640 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 September 2010 - 01:25 PM

They, and a most other manufactures, went with the BMC7401 because it was a cheaper overall option than the two chip configuration (BCM7411/BCM7038). That in no way means they intended to sacrifice performance for price. Of course it’s only speculation on our part either way. Personally, I think it was a way to reduce the cost and it backfired by not holding up to the increases in functionality.

IMHO, my HR21-100 is slower then when I first got it. I ran it side by side with my HR20-700 and there was no where near the speed difference that I notice today. This seems to indicate that the functionality has outgrown the system which is based on 2006 capabilities. The all in one option doesn’t seem to have handled the increased load very gracefully. Of course this is just a guess and I have no idea what they were thinking.

I’m sure that’s why the 24 Series is based on having more horse power. They saw this coming and stepped up to deal with it. I have no idea how long the HR24 has been in testing but I’ll bet it goes back a ways. They took the bull by the horns and came up with a new platform that will to handle the ever added functionality.

It is what it is. If we assume DirecTV intended to sacrifice performance (which I don't believe) then that would have to extend to that to all the other manufacturers who went with the 7401. :shrug:

Mike

One of the problems you have with devices such as the DVRs is the time it takes for them to go down in performance. But the 20-700 never did. And it was more expensive than the 21 series. I don't think they took the time to test them properly and they went the cheaper way. I'm not sure it was a bad business decision, they sure sold a lot of the 21s and if the people who bought them were satisfied, as I'm sure most were, the decision to supplant the 20-700s with a string of inferior HRs was definitely a good decision from D*s point of view. In the end, the DVRs were safe and nobody got hurt. It's not like what Toyota did, that was dangerous.

A lot of people have criticized the lease program. That was a great business decision according to several people that I've spoken to.

They are a business, and they do seem to make strange decisions on some things, but when you examine them from their point of view, they've done well.

Rich

#114 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,986 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 01:42 PM

One of the problems you have with devices such as the DVRs is the time it takes for them to go down in performance. But the 20-700 never did. And it was more expensive than the 21 series. I don't think they took the time to test them properly and they went the cheaper way. I'm not sure it was a bad business decision, they sure sold a lot of the 21s and if the people who bought them were satisfied, as I'm sure most were, the decision to supplant the 20-700s with a string of inferior HRs was definitely a good decision from D*s point of view. In the end, the DVRs were safe and nobody got hurt. It's not like what Toyota did, that was dangerous.

A lot of people have criticized the lease program. That was a great business decision according to several people that I've spoken to.

They are a business, and they do seem to make strange decisions on some things, but when you examine them from their point of view, they've done well.

Rich

I have no problem with the lease program. I pay the same either way. I doesn’t matter what the name on the fee is, it still costs the same.

Mike

µß

#115 OFFLINE   hidef2010

hidef2010

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 01:49 PM

If you leased one it would start your contract over again for 2 years. They would not have to come out and install it for you. Just a quick note (since I sell them all the time) that adding an owned receiver to your account doesn't extend your commitment, but since you are only 2 months in, I wouldn't consider that a deal breaker to add 2 months back on.

Thanks Matt for your response.
So, are you saying if I purchase a new receiver from say you or solid signal all I have to do is call D* to activate it? Is there an activation charge?
OR
If I order a new receiver from D* (lease obviously) they would just ship it to me and I can install it myself and just call in to activate it? Is this correct?

Thanks again

Hidef2010

#116 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,986 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 02:00 PM

Thanks Matt for your response.
So, are you saying if I purchase a new receiver from say you or solid signal all I have to do is call D* to activate it? Is there an activation charge?
OR
If I order a new receiver from D* (lease obviously) they would just ship it to me and I can install it myself and just call in to activate it? Is this correct?

Thanks again

Hidef2010

Either way you can call in and activate and there isn't an activation fee. Unless the receiver you are getting is already owned it will go down as a lease but, owned or leased, it will start a new two year commitment.

Mike

µß

#117 OFFLINE   hidef2010

hidef2010

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 02:22 PM

Either way you can call in and activate and there isn't an activation fee. Unless the receiver you are getting is already owned it will go down as a lease but, owned or leased, it will start a new two year commitment.

Mike

Thanks Mike I now understand....... I guess I will just buy a new HR24-100 and activate it like you said.
Oh $*T, I just remembered.....how will my existing h24 know which recordings to access? My h24 is now linked MRV with my HR22-100, when I add the HR24-100 what will happen?:eek2:

Thanks
Hidef2010

#118 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,986 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 02:37 PM

Thanks Mike I now understand....... I guess I will just buy a new HR24-100 and activate it like you said.
Oh $*T, I just remembered.....how will my existing h24 know which recordings to access? My h24 is now linked MRV with my HR22-100, when I add the HR24-100 what will happen?:eek2:

Thanks
Hidef2010

All your receivers should see each other. If you add a new HR2x to the mix then you will see those recordings as a combined play list. Unfortunately it’s all or nothing. You can view the playlist on the local receiver (assuming it’s a DVR) or all the playlists. You cannot filter the play list by DVR.

As long as the new HR24 is connected to the same network (DECA or Ethernet) to the rest of the receivers it won’t be a problem. It will just work.

Mike

µß

#119 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,640 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 September 2010 - 02:44 PM

I have no problem with the lease program. I pay the same either way. I doesn’t matter what the name on the fee is, it still costs the same.

Mike

My point was that the leased HRs still were owned by D* and they would be able to use that fact to their financial benefit. Maybe they get to depreciate them? Stuff like that. My wife explained it to me when the leasing program went into effect. Don't remember much of it. She thought it was a good decision, for D*.

Rich

#120 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,640 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 September 2010 - 02:46 PM

Mike

New owned receivers don't trigger an extension of the commitment. Only leased.

Rich

#121 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,986 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 03:25 PM

New owned receivers don't trigger an extension of the commitment. Only leased.

Rich

Yes, you are correct. Sorry about that.

Mike

µß

#122 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 04:50 PM

Yep. Just remember solid signal would send you a leased receiver. Some people care, others don't, and I am sure my feelings on it are well known by now.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

#123 OFFLINE   Mark L

Mark L

Godfather

• Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 02:50 AM

I have a question that I've never seen asked before:

What if one were to purchase 2 DirecTV receivers, say a couple HR20-700s (RIDs owned), then go to DirecTV and ask to activate them under a new account? Is this allowed?

It would essentially be a 'month to month' commitment....... no?

I would much prefer this route, since the ball would be in the consumers court for once.

DirecTV customer since October 2002, 5 LNB Slimline Dish, SWiM 16, Premiere package, HD package

9 receivers: (2) HR20-700s *1 Owned, (1) HR24-500 *Owned, (1) HR24-200, (1) HR24-100 (1) HR22-100, (1) HR23-700, (1) H21-700, (1) H24-100

#124 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 03:07 AM

I have a question that I've never seen asked before:

What if one were to purchase 2 DirecTV receivers, say a couple HR20-700s (RIDs owned), then go to DirecTV and ask to activate them under a new account? Is this allowed?

It would essentially be a 'month to month' commitment....... no?

I would much prefer this route, since the ball would be in the consumers court for once.

I have never done it, but I have heard that it is possible, but a PITA. I also heard that you will need all the info about the previous account it was on to go along with it. That could be BS, but that's what I was told by a friend that had someone in Canada trying to buy a receiver and open an account like that.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

Protected By... spam firewall...And...