Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Can dish lock out receivers pointing at western/eastern arc?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   drfrink24

drfrink24

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 07:57 AM

When I tried to order new equipment, Dish wanted a $95 install charge to switch me from western to eastern arc. If I can somehow get them to agree to just send the hardware, but not physically switch to eastern arc, can they lock out my new equipment from working with western arc?

I currently get locals fine w/western arc.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 08:12 AM

When I tried to order new equipment, Dish wanted a $95 install charge to switch me from western to eastern arc. If I can somehow get them to agree to just send the hardware, but not physically switch to eastern arc, can they lock out my new equipment from working with western arc?

I currently get locals fine w/western arc.

DISH can activate or deactivate any receiver by sending a signal over the satellite. I doubt that they care which arc you receive a signal from. I think you need to get some clarification from DISH on the $95 charge it sounds like that is for a truck roll to replace your dish with a 1000.4 dish.:)

#3 OFFLINE   drfrink24

drfrink24

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 08:23 AM

DISH can activate or deactivate any receiver by sending a signal over the satellite. I doubt that they care which arc you receive a signal from. I think you need to get some clarification from DISH on the $95 charge it sounds like that is for a truck roll to replace your dish with a 1000.4 dish.:)

Yeah, I wonder then, can I flat out refuse their install?

#4 OFFLINE   Matt9876

Matt9876

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 12:08 PM

The equipment is different most notably the spacing of the LNBs on the 1000.2 and 1000.4 also the eastern arc is all MPEG4 a 311 unit won't work at all.

They do keep note of the arc you are assigned to but with the correct equipment I'm pretty sure you could tune into the other arc.

I personally like the feeds off the eastern arc.

#5 OFFLINE   Oldcoot

Oldcoot

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:59 AM

I was using a dish 500 on 110 and 119 with a dish 300 on 61.5.
I could not get 129 due to a tree line.
I bought the dish 1000.4 for $68.00 online and installed it myslelf.
Works great with signal on all 3 sats between 55 and 70.
If they keep note on which arc you are on it would have to be information sent to them by the receiver phone line.
I did not tell them that I was changing to the eastern arc.

#6 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:50 PM

They do not care from which satellite you are receiving your service.

Their main concern about EA is that someone with SD receivers will put up a D1000.4 then raise holy hell about their MPEG2 receivers not working anymore.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#7 OFFLINE   Matt9876

Matt9876

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:59 PM

During the initial install or change order the orbital locations stated in the contract/paper work are saved into E*s computer under your account number.

I have had line of site issues that forced me and tech support to manually change the orbital slot information,I don't know if a phone/Ethernet connection would automatically update the orbital slot information.

I've messed around with wing dishes enough to know if the equipment gets the correct signals things seem to work OK.

#8 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:07 PM

I have had line of site issues that forced me and tech support to manually change the orbital slot information,I don't know if a phone/Ethernet connection would automatically update the orbital slot information.

Nope, it's done manually.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#9 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,962 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 24 June 2010 - 07:02 PM

About a decade ago, back when DISH was trying to force some customers to get RIA from one satellite rather than from another, a receiver I was installing was not able to get it from the satellite we wanted to get it from. As I recall, the trick they used was, they assigned different guide numbers to that program for the two different satellites that carried it, and they would not authorize this receiverfor a new customer to get it from the one that they were trying to disfavor, whereas another, established customer of mine continued to get it from that other satellite.

That created a problem for this installation, because this customer only wanted that one channel but did not have line-of-sight to the satellite that DISH wanted them pointed at.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...