Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR24 universal remote issues

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 07:07 PM

Help!

Just swapped my HR20-700 for the HR24-500

My Marantz universal remote worked great (for years) with my HR20-700.

With the HR24-500 and Marantz remote, the HR24 acts all funky. For example, I hit the down arrow (once) while I’m in the guide. The guide will start scrolling super fast. The light on the HR24 blinks as if it’s receiving multiple commands. I know the remote is not sending multiple commands. If I pull the battery on my remote the HR24’s light continues to blink.

I can still use my Marantz remote on my HR20, so I know my remote didn’t recently tank.

I get this same funky behavior via my Marantz set to IR or RF. Like I said, I know my remote still works on my HR20 without issues.

Question: What is the difference on the HR24? Does it use the same command set as the older DVRs?

FYI – The HR24 works fine with the DIRECTV remote.

I just can’t understand why the Marantz remote works with the HR20, but funky with the HR24.

Any ideas?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 07:57 PM

Help!

Just swapped my HR20-700 for the HR24-500

My Marantz universal remote worked great (for years) with my HR20-700.

With the HR24-500 and Marantz remote, the HR24 acts all funky. For example, I hit the down arrow (once) while I’m in the guide. The guide will start scrolling super fast. The light on the HR24 blinks as if it’s receiving multiple commands. I know the remote is not sending multiple commands. If I pull the battery on my remote the HR24’s light continues to blink.

I can still use my Marantz remote on my HR20, so I know my remote didn’t recently tank.

I get this same funky behavior via my Marantz set to IR or RF. Like I said, I know my remote still works on my HR20 without issues.

Question: What is the difference on the HR24? Does it use the same command set as the older DVRs?

FYI – The HR24 works fine with the DIRECTV remote.

I just can’t understand why the Marantz remote works with the HR20, but funky with the HR24.

Any ideas?

How does it respond to the DTV remote supplied with the HR24. I have a friend who had a similar problem and I found after about 20 minutes of fooling around, that the DTV remote that was sitting on the coffee table had a stuck button and was flooding the HR. The other cause of problem may be that the HR24 is picking up stray signal generated by the TV iself. This is quite a common occurance with flat pannel TVs. The only way the light can blink is if it is receiveing signal from somewhere.

I use a Harmony remote with my systems and have no problems.

Edited by azarby, 18 June 2010 - 08:03 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 08:10 PM

The HR24 works fine with the DIRECTV remote.

Not sure what the issue is?

#4 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 08:32 PM

Did the IR code set come from a standard database or was it manually programmed?

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#5 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 08:52 PM

Did the IR code set come from a standard database or was it manually programmed?

Mike

Manually programmed a few years ago. I even reprogrammed it today learning straight from the remote that came with the HR24. Same issue. The remote works fine with the HR20, funky with the HR24? :scratchin

#6 OFFLINE   Jish

Jish

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 05:12 AM

Same issue here - I even reprogrammed my universal "learning" remote with the new remote supplied with the HR24 and same thing - channels zip up and down even some of the arrows just keep going till I press exit.

#7 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:05 AM

Manually programmed a few years ago. I even reprogrammed it today learning straight from the remote that came with the HR24. Same issue. The remote works fine with the HR20, funky with the HR24? :scratchin

That's definitely odd. Since it works fine with RC64, it has to have something to do with the how the universal is programmed.

Since the HR24 is much faster in response to the remote, maybe you reprogram a button where you press the OEM button very quickly. Just fast enough to get good capture. See what happens then.

I use an MX-810 that I programmed with 00003, and it works fine with my HR24-500. All this makes it seem as if it is a timing issue with how the Marantz learns and transmits...I guess. :shrug:

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#8 OFFLINE   MISpat

MISpat

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:15 AM

My One For All brand universal remotes (two different models) work fine with two new HR24s without any reprogramming. One previously controlled an HR22 HD-DVR and the other previously controlled an H23 HD receiver. So I'd say it's safe to assume that all the remote commands between at least the recent HXxx models use the same codes. Hope that helps,
Patrick

Dish type – SWM3 LNB, 2 HR24-500, H23-600, Whole Home w/ broadband DECA (CCK)

#9 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:32 AM

Same issue here - I even reprogrammed my universal "learning" remote with the new remote supplied with the HR24 and same thing - channels zip up and down even some of the arrows just keep going till I press exit.

Glad I'm not the only one. Now I know it's not me.

#10 OFFLINE   MartyS

MartyS

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:01 AM

I swapped out my HR20 with an HR24. Didn't do anything to my Harmony remote, since it was set to the default for the HR20 and works just fine with my HR24.

Maybe it's something in the learning?
Marty

My Setup

Life is in HD and 3D -- be sure to enjoy it!!

Never argue with an idiot.
He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

#11 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:08 AM

I swapped out my HR20 with an HR24. Didn't do anything to my Harmony remote, since it was set to the default for the HR20 and works just fine with my HR24.

Maybe it's something in the learning?

That was my 1st guess, however if the IR commands are bad, why does the HR20 work fine with the same universal remote?

#12 OFFLINE   mlmcculloch

mlmcculloch

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:01 PM

Did you ever resolve this issue? Just installed 3 hr24s and have same exact issue. numbers work fine but any scroll function... up, down, left, right ch+, ch- all lock and scroll continuously on their own.

I'm using a learned IR set with a vantage automation system.

spam firewall